SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: MODS NOT NEEDED!
Reply #30 - 05/15/09 at 07:17:07

I hate when people come in and start talking how "this and that aren't needed", or "why would anyone do that to this"...

First hand experience of that with my last Festiva... I dropped $20,000+++ into that darn car. Why? Because I wanted to, I wanted something that was different than anyone else had built in the past... Something that showed my style, and when I was done, it was awesome (or... at least I thought so). I was to the point where, you could say little about the car that'd bother me. I didn't build it for you, if you have different tastes, that's fine with me too.

Sooo... To the OP. If you don't think the mods are necessary, then don't do them.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #31 - 05/15/09 at 19:09:28

with sex,food,bikes,fishin etc..
the same old same old is boring!!!
ive done minor "mods" to my 06
dyna jet kit, k&n drop in,de snorkel,3" hardchrome slash cut,river road slant bags, sissybar rack and bag,engine guard,ED's forward controlls,leds,fly screen,handle bar set backs,more leds, driving lights,more leds,brake pedal pad...
bout 13k on the od     no problems

« Last Edit: 05/16/09 at 10:47:33 by thumperclone »  

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #32 - 05/15/09 at 19:11:15

Here's an answer for you. It's a hobby to some. Some people tinker with train sets, Some people like to make their savage/S-40 suite their whims. The carb mods are done only because they sorts have to do it, Either because they went with louder exhaust or want to make perform better or both.. Most mods are for comfort i see, Seat, Windshield, Grips, FWD Controls, so on.. Like you never put a steering wheel cover on a car before??? lol

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #33 - 05/15/09 at 19:43:17

I think the OP, alcoa, has left the room.  Where'd he go?

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #34 - 05/15/09 at 20:01:22

Rustbucket wrote on 05/15/09 at 19:11:15:
Here's an answer for you. It's a hobby to some. Some people tinker with train sets, Some people like to make their savage/S-40 suite their whims. The carb mods are done only because they sorts have to do it, Either because they went with louder exhaust or want to make perform better or both.. Most mods are for comfort i see, Seat, Windshield, Grips, FWD Controls, so on.. Like you never put a steering wheel cover on a car before??? lol

steering wheel cover? are you mad? ill bet you dance on sunday too, and rely on electricity..... fire and brimstone if you dont mend your ways...lol  ive long found it a waste of time to debate technology with luddites....

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #35 - 05/15/09 at 21:13:28

Back to the original intent of the OP's rhetorical question as I read it- that mods don't improve the bike or else suzuki would have included it in their designs.  Hmmm... it is a great engine and the more I mess with it the more impressed I am with it.  But let's face it- suzuki didn't put the same amount of resources and energy into designing the LS650 as they did the B-King, regardless of how much you want to bless the LS650 R&D team.  This is a dang good bike but it's not an all out make-it-the-best-with-no-compromises bike.  Improving airflow in, fuel mixture delivered and exhaust out do indeed yield more power.  Some on here criticized my Kamikaze intake. No problem.  They said with the stock airbox the engine gets all the air it needs.  That itself shows me they are looking at it only in the aspect of air volume delivered.  That has only a little to do with why it works.  But not understanding how it works, or how any mod improves the bike for that matter, doesn't negate the fact that it does.  Similarly, not understanding how a 1 3/4" diameter exhaust pipe can improve exhaust flow at our normal riding rpms as compared to a 2 1/2" pipe doesn't negate the fact that it does.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #36 - 05/15/09 at 21:27:43

diamond jim wrote on 05/15/09 at 21:13:28:
Back to the original intent of the OP's rhetorical question as I read it- that mods don't improve the bike or else suzuki would have included it in their designs.  Hmmm... it is a great engine and the more I mess with it the more impressed I am with it.  But let's face it- suzuki didn't put the same amount of resources and energy into designing the LS650 as they did the B-King, regardless of how much you want to bless the LS650 R&D team.  This is a dang good bike but it's not an all out make-it-the-best-with-no-compromises bike.  Improving airflow in, fuel mixture delivered and exhaust out do indeed yield more power.  Some on here criticized my Kamikaze intake. No problem.  They said with the stock airbox the engine gets all the air it needs.  That itself shows me they are looking at it only in the aspect of air volume delivered.  That has only a little to do with why it works.  But not understanding how it works, or how any mod improves the bike for that matter, doesn't negate the fact that it does.  

i still think you should market that puppy... it maximizes cylinder loading across the band.... how it works it makes perfect sense if you look at it.... it eliminates or at least minimizes turbulence at all throttle positions...non turbulent air packs better, atomizes fuel better, and responds better to vacuum signal....  an equally dense charge in the cylinder at all rev ranges equals a flatter torque curve, and so a straighter HP curve...... maybe size one for the intercooler outlet of a turbo'd busa.... them drag boys live for 2% increases..... Grin

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #37 - 05/16/09 at 14:43:31

It's awesome power especially when the carb is set up with #55 pilot, #155 main, no spacer and idle screw out 1 full turn.  That's at 900 ft above sea level with average humidity of 68%.  Gas mileage drops some partly because of the jetting but mostly because the throttle gets twisted a lot more.  Running the common setup of a #152.5 main and two washers is a little too lean for it.  One washer is probably a good medium if you want the grins and still get good mpg.  I'd love for someone else to make one, match the carb to it, ride and give feedback.  

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #38 - 05/16/09 at 14:44:59

The reason they dont include the mods?  Follow the money.  It took years for this group of daily riders to figure out some of these mods.  If Suzuki wanted to figure out these mods, it would have required taking resources away from the bikes that sell for more and sell in greater numbers.

Anyways, I wanted to throw a newer picture up:

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #39 - 05/16/09 at 15:42:50

Bobbert, can you give us the deets on the seat?  Model, more pics?  That's gotta be one of the best looking bobber solo seat installs I've seen on these bikes.  Do it in a separate thread in RSD so other can find it easier when they do a search for bobber and solo seats.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #40 - 05/16/09 at 15:46:22

diamond jim wrote on 05/16/09 at 14:43:31:
It's awesome power especially when the carb is set up with #55 pilot, #155 main, no spacer and idle screw out 1 full turn.  That's at 900 ft above sea level with average humidity of 68%.  Gas mileage drops some partly because of the jetting but mostly because the throttle gets twisted a lot more.  Running the common setup of a #152.5 main and two washers is a little too lean for it.  One washer is probably a good medium if you want the grins and still get good mpg.  I'd love for someone else to make one, match the carb to it, ride and give feedback.  

id say the jetting is more for how open your pipe is... if you ran a more restrictive muff you'd probably be able to lean her a bit...  but, mileage and performance are at odds with one another for the most part....

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 05/17/09 at 11:55:17

So we all agree, the mods are not a matter of need.
They are a matter of want.

Phelonius

« Last Edit: 05/17/09 at 14:23:54 by Phelonius »  

Phelonius
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #42 - 05/17/09 at 12:04:59

Phelonius wrote on 05/17/09 at 11:55:17:
So we all agree, the mods are not a matter of need.
They are a matter of waqnt.

Phelonius

depends on the mod, and previous mods... the vershlagy is pretty much a "need".... once you attached your sidehack, the swingarm boxing and chain mod both became a "need".... id say any 6'5" rider would consider a seat relocate, and/or forward sets a "need".... open up the exhaust , and rejetting becomes a "need"....

IP Logged
Louisiana_Geezer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #43 - 05/17/09 at 13:04:36

bill67 wrote on 05/13/09 at 17:46:27:
  The ones here who have moded their bikes  the most are the ones having all the trouble with them and giving the S40 a bad name.

The only negative thing I've heard about the S40 is the backfiring problem it apparently has. From the various threads I've read here, it isn't all that difficult to change this.

Do tell, what other things should a prospective S40 buyer such as myself be aware of before he/she plunks down his/her hard earned  money?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #44 - 05/17/09 at 13:24:09

diamond jim wrote on 05/16/09 at 15:42:50:
Bobbert, can you give us the deets on the seat?  Model, more pics?  That's gotta be one of the best looking bobber solo seat installs I've seen on these bikes.  Do it in a separate thread in RSD so other can find it easier when they do a search for bobber and solo seats.  

Same seat as paladins and I believe he posted the details.

How's the fender stays and muffler mod's holding out bobby?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 15:17:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › MODS NOT NEEDED!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.