Send Topic Print
MODS NOT NEEDED! (Read 1167 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: MODS NOT NEEDED!
Reply #15 - 05/14/09 at 01:39:11

Thanks, #3's it is.  I don't plan on doing anything irreversable (yet!), just trying to settle down the slight surging in the midrange at cruising speeds, and heard this should help.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #16 - 05/14/09 at 05:56:27

CPLgrr-USMC wrote on 05/13/09 at 21:32:08:
Nobody wants to have the exact same bike as somebody else. There would be nothing to brag about, nothing to show off, nothing to be proud of except just having a stock looking bike.

As stated here, we all like our custom rides and we like to be comfortable on our rides. I modded like crazy and have no regrets and I plan to continue. Appearance, performance and comfort factors are all seen differently through different eyes. I personally like the satisfaction of working on and completeing these mods on my own with assistance from the great guys here. To each thier own. But dont bash those of us that have the balls and abilities to make our rides suit our needs and stand out from everyone elses!!!

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 05/14/09 at 06:23:37

Not all of us have jumped on the "Mod It to the wall" bandwagon.  The white spacer mod and drill out the brass cover to the air screw are personally recommended mods to all Savage owner -- the bike is shipped running way lean just to make the EPA happy and the crappy running does not need to be tolerated.

The white spacer mod and the air screw just get the bike back more to its original tuning levels, so you could take the stance they aren't really mods at all, just putting it back the way it was supposed to be.

===========  however,

Immediately yanking the stock exhaust off willy nilly because it is the "thing to do" perhaps requires a little further thinking before doing.  I have a Harley exhaust over there in the corner -- I don't care for the noise levels that comes with it and I didn't see  any performance advantages for the Harley muffler on our last Dragon run with Harley equipped exhausts over the stock exhaust for me to put up with the excess noise, whapping and blapping.

YES, MOST OF OUR MODS ARE SIMPLY BECAUSE WE WANT TO.  I tend to like the mods that add service life between oil changes, increase cam chain life, add years to air cleaner service spans and add years and years to the service life of a rear tire and to a set of front brake pads.  

My mods are more "practical" than visually appealing.   Some of them are actually uglier and messier than the stock component (the air filter).   But hey, they all still fall under "simply because we want to" rule.

Then again, I ride a "wee bagger", not a bobber.   Bobbers are pretty, but I like to have the bags for carrying stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #18 - 05/14/09 at 07:01:11

John_D FSO wrote on 05/13/09 at 18:06:26:
A lot of the mods are for ascetic (sp?) purposes,

Well, some of the mods may certainly be for ascetic reasons; we Savages are a weird breed.  (Ascetic means stripped down, basic, removing pleasure, self-denial, austere, etc. Think medieval monastery!)

But probably a lot of the mods are for aesthetic reasons, meaning for the looks.  We want our bike to look the way we like.  

My bike is mostly stock.  I bought it because I liked the way Suzuki made it.  But motorcyclists tend to be highly individualistic and independent folks.  We want our ride to be an expression of ourselves.  And some of us like wrenching around in a dimly lit garage with a case of cheap beer and classic rock on the radio.  We bob, chop, re-jet, fork-extend, seat-expand, repaint, re-light, retread and whatever else just for the sheer joy of it.  (Why did we put a man on the moon? Because we could!)

The Savage is a great canvas for mechanical artistic expression.  Its engineered asceticism, makes it a perfect candidate for modifications of aestheticism.  

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #19 - 05/14/09 at 08:50:25

alcoa wrote on 05/13/09 at 17:35:59:
Seat yes, now tell me why all the rest of the mods that have been posted here do any real good. If they really helped the bike why not suzuki do it to? Wink

If you gotta ask, you probably wouldn't understand...

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 05/14/09 at 09:16:54

I started modding cuz I can't leave well enough alone ahahahaha

I bought my 98 w/ 6,500 miles on it 1.5 years ago as a learner bike.  Im still learning these 1.5 years later!  I put on a new exhaust cuz I wanted a slightly louder pipe.  I changed the air cleaner to match the freer flowing exhaust and then the jets in the carb to match intake and exhaust together.  I'm putting in a Verslavy and new/improved cam chain to fix the exploding cam tensioner assembly from the factory.  I'm planning a perf. cam at some point as well.  These performance mods are pretty much what you would call a SLIPPERY SLOPE haha.  Had I not fixed my oil plug leak and figured out how easy it is to work on the engine I would not have the cajones to try and pull a cam job off.  

The rest of my mods (mini apes, shaved seat ala DiamondJim, side mount plate/brake light, forward controls, bobber rear fender, etc) were all aesthetic/comfort mods.  I did them for comfort and looks.  I didnt want to be riding a cookie cutter bike and most of the mods were relatively cheap and easy with minor hand tools.  

-Matt

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/14/09 at 09:37:07

bill67 wrote on 05/13/09 at 17:46:27:
  The ones here who have moded their bikes  the most are the ones having all the trouble with them and giving the S40 a bad name.

Bill 67,  S'not true for all of us. All the mods I have made benefit the bike and most  add to it's reliability or usability.
Many of the things I need my machine to do were never intended by Suzuki. These are mostly related to sidecar usage which Suzuki holds to be a sin. The main problems with Suzuki as from the factory are related to their marketing intent. This bike is aimed at the entry grade rider and as such that rider is expected to move up to something larger due to peer pressure. As such the bean counters have dictated less than the best in some areas. The saddle is a glaring example. It fits an average built person about 5 foot 3 to five foot seven very well. Tough luck for anyone not of those dimensions. The handlebars, all of the stock ones I have seen have been aimed at style and not at better control of the bike. This of course includes risers etc.
The exhaust crackle and pop is due to over lean situation dictated by our own government and the dual thickness head pipe that allows for no cooling to the inside pipe. Another thing done strictly for style.
The belt drive squeeks on most of them and I can only say that after 20 odd years since suzuki has not cured this, they do not care.
I much prefer my chain drive for less maintainance, quieter, and I can choose my final drive ratios. The mods that most often cause problems are engine mods to get more power, exhaust mods for a more stylish sound, tire sizes to look more stylish.
I bought my S-40 brand new with the intent that it would be extensively modified. It was chosen because of its' low center of gravity and its' basic design of engine with an inherently good torque band. Nothing eals available nedded as few mods for my purpose as the S-40.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #22 - 05/14/09 at 09:45:42

Phelonius, you have done a superb job with your bike and sidecar. It reminds me of a British classic but with Phelonius reliability!

They say a pic is worth a thousand words-

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/14/09 at 09:51:17

That's a nice clean style. I like the looks but personally would not go that direction. My body size alone would make that style not comfortable fo me on a ride of any length.
But if the shoe  fits,-----

Phelonius
BTW where did you hide the batt tree?

Phelonius
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 05/14/09 at 09:54:16

A picture is worth a thousand words.What looks good to some don't look good to others.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #25 - 05/14/09 at 10:41:22

I've never been the type to leave well enough alone. Here's a few of my mods and I'm far from being done...

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #26 - 05/14/09 at 11:07:26

Doc, I love the Misfits decal.  Nice flat black on the engine and header.  Loos like you managed to mount the solo seat back some and keep it level.  That's not an easy thing to do.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #27 - 05/14/09 at 14:06:07

Well I wouldn't mod mine if stock didn't suck so much. It is a good base, but real uncomfortable, and if I would not have modded the carb/intake whatever my motor would have melted by now because it was so lean it wasn't even funny. So much for stock being "perfect the way it".

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #28 - 05/15/09 at 01:38:29

i too bought my savage in 04 just to bob it.  
some may not like the looks  but i won't hold it against em,
just take a look at page 22 of january's ama mag paul wrote the article and the ama chose what shot they wanted to use.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #29 - 05/15/09 at 01:50:37

Hard Corps wrote on 05/14/09 at 07:01:11:
John_D FSO wrote on 05/13/09 at 18:06:26:
A lot of the mods are for ascetic (sp?) purposes,

Well, some of the mods may certainly be for ascetic reasons; we Savages are a weird breed.  (Ascetic means stripped down, basic, removing pleasure, self-denial, austere, etc. Think medieval monastery!)

But probably a lot of the mods are for aesthetic reasons, meaning for the looks.  We want our bike to look the way we like.  

Ah, thanks for pointing out the word I was actually looking for!  I wasn't too far off, they're spelled similar. Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 15:15:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › MODS NOT NEEDED!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.