Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
S40 & open recommendations (Read 285 times)
Whiskey89
YaBB Newbies

yo

Aliso Viejo
S40 & open recommendations
05/12/09 at 21:19:09

yo, i'm 20 year old unemployed college student who needs to a replace a downed "bike". My old "bike" or scooter prefferably, was a performace modified vespa gts 250ie (10k). I loved it, put alot of mods on, and drove 12k on it (farthest was 482 miles both ways).

i was thinking about buying a honda rebel, but after comparing it to my dead vespa 250 it seemed useless (more comparable to a 150cc baja)

then the S40 was sitting right next to it, looking beautiful of course. problem is no one at the shop knew really anything about it. after some research i'm finding out it tops at 70? and i believe i read that "someones had it at 60mph for a 3 hour ride." I hear it backfires, but thats normal with bikes.  But! does it get too warm in traffic? ever have trouble switching gears? does the seat fade? etc. so tell me why you love it, and give me a reason to convince someone to co sign for it.

please...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: S40 & open recommendations
Reply #1 - 05/12/09 at 22:57:16

you guys should meet...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1242179311/13#13

My performance check is a uphill run, steep enough to make a garbage truck go backwards and ol' vdubs wheese down to 50.  I do 87 from 70 at the bottom.

We love backfires, but prefer them tuned down to a pop.

And guess what?  the tuning cools it down in traffic.  And you're in one of the more moderate parts of the state.

Yes, it can stick in gear, but with a little technique and fore thought, it never will.  It doesn't really stick in gear, just apply a little pressure to the shifter and let out the clutch easy... click it just went down a gear.  Just keep doing it till you're in 1st.  If you shift down as you decellerate, won't happen.

It's reliable, it's cheap, you can do your own maitenance.  You got a great support group that's world wide for the issues that do crop up.

WWW   IP Logged
Whiskey89
YaBB Newbies

yo

Aliso Viejo
Reply #2 - 05/13/09 at 00:52:09

gotcha, any recommended accesories sites?

lol, i read the posts there before posting, but was hoping for some more specifics.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/13/09 at 05:10:51

We shop for accessories at the Harley places as most of our neat stuff is Harley stuff.

We also have members who like to "cook their own" so we sell forward controls and such made by Ed L. and internal cam chain tensioners from Verslagen and hop up & performance parts by Lancer.

Your bike can go 85 mph (or more if you opt for some performance mods and a chain drive conversion).

The bike is fine the way it is.  It can be civilized for the popping and other lean-based stuff using tricks found on the list under SEARCH.   Given 10 plus years of ownership and it gets older and gets ugly to you then you can bob it or chop it or do any number of neat looking renovations.

Mine is set up as a "Wee Bagger" as it is only 7 years old and it looks cute as the dickens and is perfectly functional as a get around town bike.  I will likely keep it that way until I can't ride any more.

You will get some recommendations of mods to your carburetor off the list (white spacer mod) and I recommend you do them ASAP to stop all the pipe bluing and popping nonsense that is a result of EPA tuning that is in place on a new stock machine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #4 - 05/13/09 at 05:35:11

I like that it is so easy to work on that it makes it worth getting to me. Go find a co-signer.

It doesn't top out at 70, more like 85-90. It can easily cruise at 60-65. I have had mine to 90 before and it is stock.

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 05/13/09 at 06:09:06

I was riding highway from Allentown with TMack last year to meet a couple of fellow forums members. We were hanging around 70-75mph and had plenty of throttle left. Darn, I do 75 mph on the highway 2-up sometimes and still have plenty of throttle left. Think I caught myself at 85 riding 2-up once and decided to slow it down a bit.

Disregard any article that says the S40 tops out at 70, they're either lying to you, trying to sell you something else, have never ridden an S40 WOT on the highway, or all three.

FSO
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #6 - 05/13/09 at 06:39:00

Whisky:

On 11/11/08 I walked in to the HD dealership and wanted to purchase the $2900, 2008 Honda Rebel 250 "trade-in" that they had on their showroom floor. (You know just to ride around town and back and forth to school.) Well sitting next to it was , "Black Beauty", a $2500, 2003 Suzuki Savage LS650, and the salesperson starts telling me how she now owned a Sportster, but her first bike which she still owned was a 1996 Savage and it was far superior to the Rebel. More torque, more power, faster, better able to carry the weight of a rider and a passenger. And on and on she went. (By the way there were many used Sportsters on that same showroom floor). By the time she had finished weighing in, (as you will find most Savage owners will do), I was sold. I took the bike home, took the MSF Course, got my license, and found this really awesome forum. The rest is a story of the fastest metamorphosis into a true Savage owner I could have ever imagined. The resources available here have enabled me to do these mods:

Changed oil and oil filter
Raise Seat Mod
Idle Mixture Screw Mod
White Spacer Mod
Sportster Muffler Conversion

While you may hear that there aren't many accessories available for the S40/ Savage, and in fact a lot of Savage owners like to take stuff "off" their bikes (chop/bob), I like to add bells and whistles:

Here's what I've been able to add:
      Windshield, Chrome Highway Pegs, Chrome Rider Heel-Toe Pegs, Brake pedal pad, Chrome Passenger Pegs, Saddle Bags, Chrome Luggage Rack, Digital Tach, Go-Pro Wide angle camera, Garmin GPS, Chrome Brake Fluid Cap, Oil tempature gauge, Flashing LED Brake light, Driving lights/ visors, Fork brace, Throttle lock/Cruise Control, Throttle Rocker, Whitewall tires, Sportster "Pillow Seat" Upgrade, BeadRider seat beads, and I put together a "real tool kit" I keep in my saddle bags.

I picked up many of my add ons right here in our "Marketplace" and others came from "ebay" and other online sites. I have hard saddlebags, and license-plate mounted rear turn signal lights waiting to be installed

In addition to this forum I joined the SE Virginia Chapter of the Suzuki Owners Club and I visit both sites on a daily basis to soak in as much of "all that is Savage" as possible. I have participated in poker runs, charity rides, and "BB" & I rode "Tail of the Dragon" in April, and on invitation entered the Bike show at the OBX HD Bike Week, where once a few hard core Hd'ers realized they had invited a "metric" to join them it was too late: their true feelings for my bike were already revealed---I often appreciate the admiring comments and looks from the HD crowd for my (Is that a Sportster?) bike.

In conclusion, you can't go wrong with a Savage. The bike is economical, versatile, and has a fantastic history and track record, as well as fantastic (almost fraternal) support. You can make this bike whatever you want it to be, then change it if you care too without huge investments. The innovation in the mechanical minds of some of this forum's members is mind-boggling. (Research the Cone air filter, the forward controls, the Pam Spray Cooking oil Air Filter,  Cam chain & adjuster mods,  etc...).

Whisky, I'd say buy the Savage. As a P.S., I went back in March and the HD salesperson needed quick cash, so I bought her running 1996 Savage for $400. Still not sure what I'll do with it. It only has 2,600 miles on it and only needed a battery and a muffler. (I bought a battery and installed the stock muffler that came off of "BB".) Maybe one day I'll bob/chop so I can have one of each. Right now I have little time for extra projects because I want to ride "BB" every chance I get!

Hope I didn't give you too much input, but like most here, I love my Savage!

Regards,
Darrell Grin

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #7 - 05/13/09 at 06:56:50

The only accessory that many consider necessary is a windshield, as is true for many bikes.  There are plenty listed to fit from the usual makers...Memphis Shades, National Cycle, Slipstreamer, etc....  Any other accessories are either for personal comfort & fit, or bling.

I just installed a National Cycle Plexifairing-GT on my Savage.  It is not listed for the Savage, but fits well.  I like it a lot, and it'll be near perfect when I cut the top edge down to suit my line of sight.  I'll post some pictures when I figure out what lighting works to show off the windshield.

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #8 - 05/13/09 at 08:24:09

I've had my Savage for a year and couldn't be happier.  I was looking for a small starter bike and mostly looked at Honda Rebels and GZ250s.  Problem is they were really too small.  I'm only 5'9" and 150lbs and my knees were in my armpits.  Also, they lacked the power for highway riding.  

I paid under $2,500 for a 2003 with only 5k miles on it.  I've ridden the bike for 3+ hours in heavy city traffic and it really only gets warm when it's bumper-to-bumper for more than a half hour at a time (it's air-cooled, so it needs to move!)

I regularly take it on the superslab at 70-80mph for longer rides (read 4-5 hours).  The seat is plenty comfortable for a little guy and can easily be modified for larger riders.  In fact, I'm leaving this weekend to take it on a 1,200 mile trip from the heartland to the east coast.  I have no qualms whatsoever about making this trip on this bike.  The 650 was considered a larger engine back in the early days of motorcycles and will give you plenty of torque.  You'll wear out before it does.  

The only difficulty I've had with the gears is that I have to be certain I've kicked down to 1st rolling into stops.  It likes to stay in 2nd, which can provide a bit of a surprise rolling off the line.  

i have to admit that I don't take the best care of the bike cosmetically- I ride in the rain, and leave it out uncovered.  The seat hasn't faded a bit and there's no rust.  I wash it about every couple weeks and use a spray polish afterwards.  

I really thought once I'd done a few thousand miles I'd upgrade to something larger.  I may eventually do that, but after 4k miles, I really like this bike.  It easily handles my daily commute, and is great for the occasional road trip, too.  Even if I do ever get a larger bike, I'll be keeping this one too.  It's too much fun.

The best part is the "What IS that?" question I get from HDers.  (I don't have any brand labels on the bike anymore).  

And at 55mpg with the $4/g prices last summer, the bike paid for itself the first year.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 05/13/09 at 08:34:00

I'm no kid and the Savage was my first ever bike. I've done a ton of un-needed changes to it and it's definately a one of a kind ride suited to what I want the bike to do. I too went shopping for a Rebel and changed track in mid-stream. I wanted a bike to go distances without too much trouble, go places where things get dirty, be easy to pick up if/when it goes down and be easy to work on. It doesn't hurt that the bike has a good looking design and will run freeway speeds all day, even in the middle of 100 degree August road trips.

There's really only two things you need to do to the bike once you get it:
    1) do something with that awful seat
    2) get a windshield if you're planning any long highway runs

Doing the seat front lift mod makes some marginal improvement in ride comfort, but really you need to change it out or gut it and do major re-cushion work with gel or some other material if you want to be able to sit on it for hours at a time. I changed over to a V-Star seat and can say without a doubt it's the best thing you can do.

My bike had a small-to-medium sized windshield on it when I got it used. Not bad, but since I live in MN and wanted to look cooler (not get cooler in late fall riding weather) I got one of the NationalCycle  fairing type windshields. Protects you from the beating you can take from the wind at highway speeds, helps your hands a little from the cold and flying debris and will keep you relatively dry from the knees up in the rain IF YOU KEEP MOVING.

I've done a few 4,400 mile trips and can tell you none of them would have been possible without those two changes. I've done lots of other things to the bike; bigger tank, floorboards, taller shocks, etc. I could live without them, but the shield and the seat are a must change if you want to do distance riding. Unless you succumb to peer pressure you will probably not need another bike, except to replace the 650 with another when it finally does wear out. And look at all the spare parts you'll have from the old bike if you get to that point.

But then I do go on.

Jack

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #10 - 05/13/09 at 11:00:50

I've got an '06 that just rolled over 6K miles and it definitely goes faster than 70, even it is still 100% stock.  The last time I rode it to work, I had it at 85 indicated with a little left to pass a bunch of slow moving cars so I could get over to get off the interstate.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Whiskey89
YaBB Newbies

yo

Aliso Viejo
Reply #11 - 05/13/09 at 18:32:59

i mention accesories, because my first bike was a vepsa... with a crap load of storage space (so much so, i kept a 2nd rider helmet & my class books in at all times). so thats probly the only thing on my mind i'd be willing to put money into (saddlebags, or a canvas topcase)

Speed i'm only worried about because i drive freeways (my 250 hit 80 and stayed there in a head wind, not bad considering i'm 280lbs) so if it can match, or exceed the speed of my dead vespa, i'm happy.

slightly worried about breaks too considering i flew through a rear window, but i hear no qualms for you guys or the net. (which is why i'll be wearing a full face, and probly no windshield/flyscreen)

thanks for the help & advice. i'll stick around if anything interesting pops up, any of you guys ride around the OC?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/13/09 at 21:41:48

id still get a windshield. Mine broke and I rode for a week or so without until I fixed it. It was kind of fun for short runs. It was nice to feel the wind press on my chest but once you hit 50 or so it gets tiring for long distances. I got used to no windshield and when I put it back on I found myself very relieved to have it back.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/13/09 at 22:42:26

Whiskey89 wrote on 05/13/09 at 18:32:59:
i'll stick around if anything interesting pops up, any of you guys ride around the OC?

There were a few on craigs list last week in OC and around.

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/14/09 at 10:02:16

Whiskey89 wrote on 05/12/09 at 21:19:09:
yo, i'm 20 year old unemployed college student who needs to a replace a downed "bike". My old "bike" or scooter prefferably, was a performace modified vespa gts 250ie (10k). I loved it, put alot of mods on, and drove 12k on it (farthest was 482 miles both ways).

i was thinking about buying a honda rebel, but after comparing it to my dead vespa 250 it seemed useless (more comparable to a 150cc baja)

then the S40 was sitting right next to it, looking beautiful of course. problem is no one at the shop knew really anything about it. after some research i'm finding out it tops at 70? and i believe i read that "someones had it at 60mph for a 3 hour ride." I hear it backfires, but thats normal with bikes.  But! does it get too warm in traffic? ever have trouble switching gears? does the seat fade? etc. so tell me why you love it, and give me a reason to convince someone to co sign for it.

please...

The guy who told you that the s-40 tops out at 70 has a weak right wrist.  He is not strong enough to open the carb past halfway.
Or maybe he has back troubles. Maybe a yellow streak up the center.

Phelonius
Or he doesn't want you to buy it cause he wants it.

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:23:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 & open recommendations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.