Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First bike, weighing options... (Read 225 times)
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First bike, weighing options...
05/12/09 at 18:48:31

Hey guys, looking for my first motorcycle. I'm 5'11'', 155lbs. 22years old(for what its worth).

I've done a lot of reading up. And I have a few bikes in mind, the Suzuki s40 being one of them. I think it would be an excellent 'starter' bike. But I'm concerned about the lack of power that I read about in reviews. I know it probably has 'all you need', but I would like to be able to keep up with my buds' sportster on the highway.

I'm sort of debating between the s40, the Yamaha V Star Custom, and an Iron 883. The s40 seems to be the most affordable and easy to work on. The Iron 883 is the 'sexiest'(I love the flat black bobber look, but its much more $$$). And the V Star seems like a good middle ground.

I guess I'm just looking for a little push in the right direction and maybe some suggestions on stuff I'm not thinking about right now.

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Re: First bike, weighing options...
Reply #1 - 05/12/09 at 19:06:42

You obviously want the savage. Thats why you posted on here. The savage is fun to mod and addictive too. You have a simple bike to start with, a canvas, and you beautify it however you want it. The savage club is a wonderful and supportive club. At 155lbs wet, this bike is a rocket for your light weight.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #2 - 05/12/09 at 19:14:36

All my reading on the vstar says it won't do any better performance wise than our S40's. It's a heavier bike w/o enough extra hp to compensate. I haven't ridden any distance with other biked but others here say they have no issues. I've rode 3hs steady at 65 - 70 mph with no trouble at all.bang for the buck, you can't beat the S40 - Savage.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 05/12/09 at 19:16:16

Are you talking about the V-Star 650 custom?  It looks cool.  I rode one for a total of about 6 hours over three different days.  I was so glad to get back on my S40 though.  Much more grin factor with the S40 all around.  The V-Star 650 is a bored out and bloated Yamaha Virago 535.  Now the 535 is an awesome bike.  It's like the S40 in size and weight, but you got another 10hp and v-twin torque.  The 650 version, IMO, is like a 4-door family sedan with a 4 cylinder motor.  It doesn't accelerate but simply gathers speed.  If you like a bike to do something when you turn the throttle, you'll get bored with the 650. The 883 is sweet.  Most people do mods to their bike, even when they initially say they won't.  It'll cost you twice as much to do the same mods on a 883 as you'd do to a S40.  The 883 has a good bit more power but also a good bit more weight.  I do a lot of downtown, stop light to stop light riding.  So the extra power in those situations does little for me.  But the extra weight of the 883 in those riding circumstances would make it less fun for me.  The engine would handle riding two up better that the S40 or the V-Star.  The V-Star, however, would provide more comfort for a passenger than the other two but lacks the power to enjoy it IMO.  Since you pointed out the $$$ of the 883, I think a late model used S40 would be the best bet for you.  It is user friendly, both riding and working on.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/12/09 at 19:18:29

Unless your buds are doing over a ton, they won't loose you.  And if fact you may put some distance on them when you do some twisties.   Grin

My performance check is a uphill run, steep enough to make a garbage truck go backwards and ol' vdubs wheese down to 50.  I do 87 from 70 at the bottom.  And I got a few #'s on you.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 05/12/09 at 19:55:21

By most accounts if you are over 5' 8" you will be slightly cramped on the S40. You can modify it, but that adds cost. You could also consider a different genre of bike. The Kawasaki 250 Ninja costs about a grand less, and will outrun a stock S40, although published reports give the S40 a little better 0-60 time. My 2007 S40 has averaged about 55 mpg for over 5000 miles, with a low of 39 mpg running 75 mph into a headwind and a high of about 73 mpg riding in the Rocky Mountain Park with 35 and 45 mph speed limits. I don't have as much data on my 2007 250 Ninja, but it seems to be averaging about 67 mpg over nearly 3000 miles. Only you can decide on the balance of looks, performance, comfort, cost, and so on that you might want in a motorcycle.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #6 - 05/12/09 at 19:57:13

odvelasc wrote on 05/12/09 at 19:06:42:
You obviously want the savage. Thats why you posted on here. The savage is fun to mod and addictive too. You have a simple bike to start with, a canvas, and you beautify it however you want it. The savage club is a wonderful and supportive club. At 155lbs wet, this bike is a rocket for your light weight.

Odvelasc is right on here, JeremySW...

I nearly sold mine to get something larger until I found out just how versatile these bikes are...and through this very site I might add.

There is SO much info (everything from performance modding to making your bike more comfortable to just hanging out with like bikers) in this forum from people who don't just talk but do...that I'm sure you'll come to love this bike as much, if not more, than the bikes you mentioned.

-Less upfront cost (leaving you cash to do something fun to or with the bike)
-Much less to insure
-Excellent gas mileage
-Easier and much more cost effective to maintain

Added Bonus:The people in this Savage/S40 community are by far the best you'll run into anywhere on the web.

Hope this helps in your consideration.

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #7 - 05/12/09 at 20:03:20

Ridden them all. Savage kills them in the grins per dollar ratio. Buy one used, the ratio goes way up. I did not hesitate to modify, perform maintenance, or just plain make my own because the initial investment was so low.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/12/09 at 20:14:10

clueless-FSO wrote on 05/12/09 at 20:03:20:
Ridden them all. Savage kills them in the grins per dollar ratio. Buy one used, the ratio goes way up. I did not hesitate to modify, perform maintenance, or just plain make my own because the initial investment was so low.

That is a big reason I am considering the s40. I really want to 'cut my teeth' modifying it. I have no real mechanical experience so I would be too intimidated to fool around with something that costs me 7+ grand. If I could find a lightly used s40 for a few grand though I wouldn't mind messing with it.

I am leaning s40 for sure, kind of just wanted you guys to convince me some more  Grin

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #9 - 05/12/09 at 20:32:56

I understand how difficult the decision could be to purchase a starter bike. I googled the 2009 iron 883 and saw the MSRP of around $8000.00. Figure another what, $1000.00 to get it the way you want, plus tax and tags, that's a lot of scratch there for a starter bike.

If we were not talking starter, the Suzuki S83 http://www.powersportstv.com/models/Suzuki-Boulevard/2008-Suzuki-Boulevard-S8... has so much more bang for the buck, and you would leave those Sporty's in the dust on the highway for around the same price as the Iron. But it's a lot of bike to handle for a newbie, and we are talking starter bike. The Suzuki S50 is another slamming bike for a lot less money than the Iron.

I'm sure that you want something reliable also, so you may not want to buy a very early year Savage unless you're good at wrenching. You could find a later model S40 for under $3000.00 if you're patient, should you decide to go that way. I paid $1000.00 for my 87 with custom paint and a SuperTrapp. One of the best motor vehicle purchases I've ever made. I love this bike.

I'm 5' 10" and I'll admit that my knees start hurting after a couple of hours of highway riding on the Savage, but I've not yet installed forward controls. The seat gets you also, but there's a simple inexpensive mod for that. Really, every mod on this bike seems inexpensive compared to HD's.

I've owned 2 Sportster's, both Iron Heads. My '72 was a great bike and I'll always regret getting rid of it. My early '84 blew a rod. That bike gave me a lot of headaches for some reason.

If it were me, the Iron 883 would not even be on my list at 10 grand, or 9, or 8 for that matter. It may be affordable to some, but for that kind of money, I'd rather go for an earlier year sporty if I must have an HD, or find a Savage for under 3, actually $2000.00 would be good and can be done, mod it and use the cash I saved travel around Central America for a few months during the winter.

I wouldn't worry about keeping up with anyone else's bike. If they're gone, they're gone. I'll meet up with them later. I like riding solo most of the time anyway.

FSO
  IP Logged
JeremySW
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/12/09 at 21:23:52

Awesome, great insight and thanks for the thoughts.

I really would like to turn my first bike into somewhat of a 'rat rod'. Pulling off all the extra crap that I don't need(comfort be darned Cool). Rattle-can flat black paint job, and some white wall tires. I just want something that is 'me'.

I'd also like to upgrade the exhaust, brakes, suspension. All on a reasonable budget.

The savage appeals to me since it basically doesn't seem to have THAT much extra crap on it. Seems like a stripped down simple lightweight bike. Seems like a good canvas to start from.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/12/09 at 21:43:19

I read here some time back that a stock 883 and stock savage are pretty darn close in the 0-60. I think teh savage is 2/10ths of a second slower. I PROMISE you wont lose your buddies while riding unless they're doing 90+ for extended periods of time. If they throttle up to try to lose you for a minute or two throttle up and you'll stick right with them. My best friend got a '95 with something like 7k mi early this season for $800. Came with a windshield and Jardine exhaust. Try getting a better deal with a sporty or vstar. I like sportys personally but I also like my cheap...everything. For the price you really cant beat a savage. You can take all those extra thousands of dollars that you wouldve spent on a stock sportster and modify a savage/s40 and blow just about any bike out of the water 0-60. DIY performance intake, performance muffler, performance cam, chain conversion, cast wheel conversion, seat mods, lighting mods, forward controls...all available here for little cost. Ive never heard any gleaming reports about the vstar. Its okay...not great from what I hear. And it looks too "american" for me. It looks an obese dog IMO. Obviously Id go with a savage/s40. Its small enough physically for a beginner to control without issue (only 40lbs heavier than most 250s) and powerful enough to get you into or out of trouble (I hit 80-85 just about everyday on my way to work. Speed limit is 55). Cheap to insure ($88 a year, full converage), cheap to buy (see above), cheap and easy to maintain (if for no other reason than you've only got one of everything rather than two), its unique, its been basically unchanged for 20 years. Its highly unlikely you'll ever find the PERFECT bike for you off the floor, but considering you're probably going to make changes anyway (ask the HD dealer how much to put forward controls on that sporty you're looking at. $95 for the savage) you might aswell save some serious cash and make them to the savage. Plus...being a new rider, how would you feel if you laid down your expensive new sporter or v-star? How much would it cost to replace a dented tank? +/- $50 on ebay for the savage. I'll make you a bet. Buy a savage now and keep the rest of the cash you wouldve spent on something else. Ride it for the season. If you honestly regret the purchase sell it and I'll send you $100 to go toward whatever bike you intend on replacing it with. If you DONT regret it you owe me a 5th of Sailor Jerrys. Deal?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/12/09 at 22:19:51

I bought a burnt '88 and a wrecked '02 for $700 total.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 05/12/09 at 22:40:52

First bike, Go low weight, low price & used.

This is the first bike Ive ridden over 10,000 miles w/o crashing. Ive dropped it in the yard on sloping wet grass, but never straight up Crashed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #14 - 05/13/09 at 07:04:16

Looked at Harley Sportsters at the bike show in Feb. this year. Asked about Fwd Controls. They quoted $800 to install. That would be my entrie life time budget for mods to my S40

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:26:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First bike, weighing options...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.