Send Topic Print
Cracked swingarm (Read 195 times)
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cracked swingarm
05/12/09 at 12:20:50

Way back about 20,000 miles ago and 16 months, I found a crack in my swing arm that ran about 3/4 of the circumference. After I got over the hair standing on end, I realized that it was because of an inherent weakness of the Savage swingarm. Suzuki in all it's wisdom, mounted a footpeg in the middle of the swingarm. They did not even complete the weld job on it. Since the arm has been indented on the back side further weakens it.
Now for all you two wheelers, Ignore the rest of this thread. For those of you who tug sidecars, this is of the utmost importance if you wish to stay alive.
Imaginge if you will, a cracked swingarm breaking off at 55 mph with a log truck right behind you, Or maybe while negotiating a mountain curve with a thousand foot drop below. Even on level pavement it could kill you as it would most assuradly cause a violent rollover.
Okay, so here is the cure. remove the swingarm from thew bike. obtain some 1and 1/2" square steel tubing. Cut two 12 "lengths.
Trace the curve of the swingarm onto the tubing and slice it lengthwise with a bandsaw. Make a couple of slits in each end to accomodsate a taper. With a portable disc grinder, make the curve of the steel match the curve of the arm.  Sand all the paint off the arm in the areas to be welded.  Cut a piece of pipe to fit between the arms and put the axle through the arms and the pipe and nut it snug. This is to help prevent warp.  Hold the steel in place with a C- clamp  and begin to weld.  NOTE, weld inshort beads no longer than 1 and 1/2" long begining at the center and working towards the ends.  Have both pieces clamped and allow the first bead to cool before running the second.
You can do one side for a bead then the other side for a bead, then turn it over and do a bead on each side, then allow it to cool before welding any more.  Sure, this is a slow process but unless you want the swingarm to warp terribly from heating and cooling, it is a must.
When it is all welded, grind off any excess or unsightly stuff, clean it and paint it.
When done, it will be far stronger than stock and fully capable of any sidecar stresses a Savage is likely to impart to it.

Notice in the last photo with the primer paint on it, The swing arm is boxed on the inside too, with lesser boxes.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Cracked swingarm
Reply #1 - 05/12/09 at 13:10:12

Wow ... un believable.
I swear to god, who ever designed some of these ... god help him if I ever meet him in a dark alley.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 05/12/09 at 13:20:29

Definitely looks bulletproof now. Dang good job. Even though I don't haul a sidecar, I may do that anyway. I already have the square tubing, just need a welder.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #3 - 05/12/09 at 18:11:26

watch out for cracks 1/2 inch from the tip and tail of you boxes, Phelonius... welds perpendicular to the axis of tubing set up stresses in the tube.... those bow and stern fillets could be your undoing.... not trying to be a critic, just giving a word of warning....

IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #4 - 05/13/09 at 02:56:57

Hi Phelonius, I'm checking out side-cars going to fit one on but not sure of the fixing points would it be suitable to fix one of the anchors to the pilon foot peg, just wondering if it would stress the swinging arm cheers,,kenny

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/13/09 at 07:22:18

You'll want all the connection points to be all the frame.
Can't mount the the swingarm.  Not unless you don't want the swingarm to move.

WWW   IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #6 - 05/13/09 at 07:28:21

Got you ,Aye when I had a right look at it it would be a bit nuts to connect it there,,cheers and ta

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 05/13/09 at 08:18:58

marshall13 wrote on 05/12/09 at 18:11:26:
watch out for cracks 1/2 inch from the tip and tail of you boxes, Phelonius... welds perpendicular to the axis of tubing set up stresses in the tube.... those bow and stern fillets could be your undoing.... not trying to be a critic, just giving a word of warning....

You may have hit the nail on the head ... cos I was thinking I'd weld up the crack and brace it lengthwise only ... like lay 1/8th thick 2inch wide flat bar bent into the curve of the swingarm welded along the lentgh, then repeat with 1 inch wide on top of that brace if additional was needed, but leave the open front and rear ends of the first bar alone and weld the second bar to the first one on the ends only if needed and only if its a bit shorter than the original one.
The simple way to think of it is ... welding is like cutting 1/10 of the thickness of the metal right next to the weld. You have to locate it structurally where it is of the least consequence.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/13/09 at 09:27:46

Okay, you guys have raised a few questions.  First NEVER attatch a sidecar mount to a swingarm.
Second, as for potential cracks due to verticle welds, The theory may have something to watch for but the original has lasted more than 20,000 miles without a problem.  
The one worked on in the photos is the second one I have done and it was new when I started. Absolutely no cracks to repair first. I took my time and really went slow on this one.
The photos below show the finished product. Note that I taped off the graduation marks where the axle goes through. This was so that paint buildup would not make the marks difficult to see. In fact, this morning I sprayed light color paint on the marks and wiped it off with a paper towel. This left the paint down in the crevices to be more readily visible.

Phelonius

« Last Edit: 05/13/09 at 14:32:52 by Phelonius »  

Phelonius
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #9 - 05/13/09 at 10:01:53

Phelonius wrote on 05/13/09 at 09:27:46:
Okay, you guys have raised a few questions.  First NEVER attatch a sidecar mount to a swingarm.
Second, as for potential cracks due to verticle welds, The theory may have something to watch for but the original has lasted more than 20,000 miles without a problem.  
The one worked on in the photos is the second one I have done and it was new when I started. Absolutely no cracks to repair first. I took my time and really went slow on this one.
The photos below show the finished product. Note that I taped off the graduation marks where the axle goes through. This was so that paint buildup would not make the marks difficult to see. In fact, this morning I sprayed light color paint on the marks and wiped it off with a paper towel. This left the paint down in the crevices to be more readily visible.
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009/05/13/bikepics-1666145-800.jpg

Phelonius

your placement probably has alot to do with it... either end of your box is close to reinforcement of the swingarm(cross brace forward, suspension mounts rear).... making both ends of the box pointed eliminates the cross axis stress riser.... though it would make the fabbing a bit more complex....lol  like i said, not playing critic, just putting it out there.... real nice fit-up and fab, by the way... high-lighting the index marks is a darn fine touch too.... hint for the folks that would like to do the highlighting without pulling the wheel... whiteout, little jar of model paint, nail polish... can do the same with the notch on the adjuster too

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #10 - 05/13/09 at 10:13:41

srinath wrote on 05/12/09 at 13:10:12:
Wow ... un believable.
I swear to god, who ever designed some of these ... god help him if I ever meet him in a dark alley.
Cool.
Srinath.

gotta realise, this bike was probably never engineered with the idea of adding a sidehack... as there's probably a collective million plus miles on savage-back found in this forum, and this is the only mention of the problem i've seen, id be inclined to believe the arm is well made for the intended purpose, just with a minimum safety factor.... Phelonius' original bad arm may have been due to a fab defect in that particular arm..... save those engineer beat-downs for the cats that designed the cam chain tensioning scheme...lol

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/13/09 at 10:51:18

marshall13 wrote on 05/13/09 at 10:13:41:
srinath wrote on 05/12/09 at 13:10:12:
Wow ... un believable.
Cool.
Srinath.

gotta realise, this bike was probably never engineered with the idea of adding a sidehack... as there's probably a collective million plus miles on savage-back found in this forum, and this is the only mention of the problem i've seen, id be inclined to believe the arm is well made for the intended purpose, just with a minimum safety factor.... Phelonius' original bad arm may have been due to a fab defect in that particular arm..... save those engineer beat-downs for the cats that designed the cam chain tensioning scheme...lol

Did you actually read the original post? I said that two wheelers could ignore this thread.

Phelonious

Phelonius
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 05/13/09 at 13:35:45

Hey Phel -
I actually didn't notice that you were talking about a sidecar rig.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/13/09 at 14:44:55

Yeah, If you only do two wheels, you have nothing to worry about although I still think mounting footpegs on swingarms should have gone out about 1970 like it was supposed to.
I like Marshalls' idea of pointing the ends of the box. It makes a lot of sense. Had I thought of it, I would have done it. It only entails two more cuts with the band saw on each end.
After 20,000 miles on the first one, I am not very worried about this one. I think that since the end of the box is so close to the axle aft and there is not much length of leverage forward, so I think it will be strong enough. One eighth of an inch thick metal is thicker than the original swingarm so she is hell for stout.
The extra weight doesn't bother me when I consider the weight of the sidecar anyway, and I don't race.

Phelonius

« Last Edit: 05/16/09 at 14:36:18 by Phelonius »  

Phelonius
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #14 - 05/15/09 at 20:57:01

Phelonius wrote on 05/13/09 at 14:44:55:
Yeah, If you only do two wheels, you have nothing to worry about although I still think mounting footpegs on swingarms should have gone out about 1970 like it was supposed to.
I like Marshalls' idea of pointing the ends of the box. It makes a lot of sense. Had I thought of it, I would have done it. It only entails two more cuts with the band saw on each end.
After 20,000 moles on the first one, I am not very worried about this one. I think that since the end of the box is so close to the axle aft and there is not much length of leverage forward, so I think it will be strong enough. One eighth of an inch thick metal is thicker than the original swingarm so shge is hell for stout.
The extra weight doesn't bother me when I consider the weight of the sidecar anyway, and I don't race.

Phelonius

absolutely right abought the pegs.... and if they HAD to do it, they shuld have at least added a reinforcing sleeve(like the "frame nuts" on older bicycles, those old ones were pointed for a reason)... honestly wish i could take credit for the points idea, but i learned it the hard way almost 3 decades ago... i patched a cracked trailer frame about 5 times before the guy across the alley asked me if id like to fix it right once, or was it a hobby?.....gotta love new yorkers... he explained about the stress riser, and told me to cut my patch football shaped... needed a new hobby after that one went on....lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:23:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cracked swingarm

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.