Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Cracked swingarm
Reply #15 - 05/16/09 at 14:39:58

marshall13 wrote on 05/15/09 at 20:57:01:
Phelonius wrote on 05/13/09 at 14:44:55:
Yeah, If you only do two wheels, you have nothing to worry about although I still think mounting footpegs on swingarms should have gone out about 1970 like it was supposed to.
I like Marshalls' idea of pointing the ends of the box. It makes a lot of sense. Had I thought of it, I would have done it. It only entails two more cuts with the band saw on each end.
After 20,000 moles on the first one, I am not very worried about this one. I think that since the end of the box is so close to the axle aft and there is not much length of leverage forward, so I think it will be strong enough. One eighth of an inch thick metal is thicker than the original swingarm so shge is hell for stout.
The extra weight doesn't bother me when I consider the weight of the sidecar anyway, and I don't race.

Phelonius

absolutely right abought the pegs.... and if they HAD to do it, they shuld have at least added a reinforcing sleeve(like the "frame nuts" on older bicycles, those old ones were pointed for a reason)... honestly wish i could take credit for the points idea, but i learned it the hard way almost 3 decades ago... i patched a cracked trailer frame about 5 times before the guy across the alley asked me if id like to fix it right once, or was it a hobby?.....gotta love new yorkers... he explained about the stress riser, and told me to cut my patch football shaped... needed a new hobby after that one went on....lol  

The Savage swingarm footpeg mount does have a re-inforcing sleeve but the twits didn't fully weld it and they squashed the arm at that point.
These are the start of the hairline cracks I experienced.

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:29:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cracked swingarm

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.