Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Victory" ride...OOoops! (Read 170 times)
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
"Victory" ride...OOoops!
05/11/09 at 16:39:38

OK…here’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it  Grin

After moddin’ my bike this past Saturday (OEM Backrest w/ Rear Rack, Windshield, Engine Guard) I decided to take the necessary “Victory” ride.

Being the practical guy that I am…Mmmost of the time anyway  Wink… I decided to combine my ride with a destination. I had to cut my Dad’s lawn in Xenia about 20min. from my home.

All is well as I’m purrin’ along 35E…wind blowin’…sun shinin’. …Ahhhhh Sweetness.

Tinktinktink…ta-tinktinktinktink

What was that???

After scanning the bike I realized that I forgot to put the holding screw back into my left side panel!

rrrrRRRRRRAAAAaaatttttssss!

LSS…I got my Dad’s grass cut and decided to call my local bike shop to see what a replacement would run me. 8 ½ min. on the phone later, I find out that a LFT side panel…with shipping and tax of course…will only loosen my wallet..$97.16!!!!

I finished up the yard, told my Pop I loved ‘im and headed back to that stretch of highway!

After walking ¼ mile through 2 foot high grass in the center median with traffic buzzin’ by at 60-65 mile per hour and horns yellin’…I FOUND IT!
Scraped up a bit but not scrunched…SO…I decided to paint it.

After 2 coats of gloss black and 1 coat of clear coat…spray paint cans BTW…It still doesn’t have that mirror finish…

How do I get that back?

Hope you had a good laugh and I await any bodymen’s response...

Thanks!
Cheesy

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: "Victory" ride...OOoops!
Reply #1 - 05/11/09 at 16:55:25

gotta give the paint a couple weeks to cure, then rub it out... use a 1200 grit or finer compound (2000 is awesome)... can use a buffer or elbow grease... really, you should have 800 gritted your final color coat, then sprayed your clear, then done the rubout... after rubbing, a real good waxing....  if you take your time, and do it right, results are awesome.... by the way, black is the hardest color to get to look good...

edit: if you used cheap paint, it'll never come out looking really good, by the way... krylon and such arent meant for auto-quality finishes... duplicolor touch-up cans finish well... prep and technique is the maker or breaker of a paint job... the "pro-pel" touch up system and a pint of quality automotive paint, along with a pint of clear would be enough to do the entire set of tins on a savage, and in the hands of someone willing to spend the time to do it right, would give a final finish as good as any method.... crap paint in a pretty color looks pretty crappy.... good paint in a pretty color looks pretty good...lol

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #2 - 05/11/09 at 17:01:26

Thanks, Marshall13...

If I have to, I'll sand the whole thing down and start all over. This time following your advice...

Thank you, sir.

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 05/11/09 at 18:13:36

I did the paint job at home that turned out great.  Just gotta have patience and use the right materials the right way.

« Last Edit: 05/12/09 at 12:27:27 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/11/09 at 19:28:52

False Illusion wrote on 05/11/09 at 16:39:38:
OK…here’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it  Grin

After moddin’ my bike this past Saturday (OEM Backrest w/ Rear Rack, Windshield, Engine Guard) I decided to take the necessary “Victory” ride.

Being the practical guy that I am…Mmmost of the time anyway  Wink… I decided to combine my ride with a destination. I had to cut my Dad’s lawn in Xenia about 20min. from my home.

All is well as I’m purrin’ along 35E…wind blowin’…sun shinin’. …Ahhhhh Sweetness.

Tinktinktink…ta-tinktinktinktink

What was that???

After scanning the bike I realized that I forgot to put the holding screw back into my left side panel!

rrrrRRRRRRAAAAaaatttttssss!

LSS…I got my Dad’s grass cut and decided to call my local bike shop to see what a replacement would run me. 8 ½ min. on the phone later, I find out that a LFT side panel…with shipping and tax of course…will only loosen my wallet..$97.16!!!!

I finished up the yard, told my Pop I loved ‘im and headed back to that stretch of highway!

After walking ¼ mile through 2 foot high grass in the center median with traffic buzzin’ by at 60-65 mile per hour and horns yellin’…I FOUND IT!
Scraped up a bit but not scrunched…SO…I decided to paint it.

After 2 coats of gloss black and 1 coat of clear coat…spray paint cans BTW…It still doesn’t have that mirror finish…

How do I get that back?

Hope you had a good laugh and I await any bodymen’s response...

Thanks!
Cheesy

For sure a very fine grit sanding of last coat of paint so that clear coat sticks. After second clear coat dries (2-4 days), then wet sand with 1200 grit, warm water and superbly minimal dish soap. Then you get you-self some buffing compound and buff like hell with a soft rag. I on the other hand purchased an orbital buffer for my tank. You will watch the shine appear as you continue to buff.

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #5 - 05/12/09 at 04:12:18

You guys are awesome. Thanks, Fellas.

I'll keep you posted on the results...maybe get some pics up to help out other...ahemmm... "Forgetful" folks like me... Wink

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 05/12/09 at 07:56:34

Well, way back when ... ~12 years ago I was running my cherry 1983 midnight blue nighthawk 650 down 238 in sunnyvale when the same thing happened ... I was flying down the carpool lane @ 80 when the left side cover (no screws ... stupid design, I think) came loose with wind, and scraped my leg as it disappeared.
I then try to locate the thing, find a red one for 15 bucks in almost as nice shape, fit it on and ride a few days, and of course it was the dead of winter and it was raining a bunch, then the next week I am riding by looking and seeing if the thing has been mangled up by a car etc and if I find any bits of it ... and in that narrow shoulder I find it, intact except for a small raspberry on the front corner. I park it, walk back, and pick it up. Then I fit it back on and 2 years alster sell that bike to my friend. With that side cover. My genius friend never rides it. 1983 bike, I got it with 250 or so miles in 1996 summer, I ride it to 6K, do all rust and all maintenance, fork seals, tank coating, armorall on everything, new O rings etc in carbs ... new air filter etc etc ... it was a new 83 nighthawk with 6K miles in 1998.
My friend rode it 3 miles in the next 10 years. Its still sitting in CA in a garage under a blanket. I plan on buying it back on my next trip to CA.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #7 - 05/12/09 at 08:58:32

Glad you found it! You could always check EBay or the Marketplace... I sold both of my covers for way less than the cost of that one (I think I said $40 shipped or something). So, you can find a deal from someone who has removed theirs.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:24:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Victory" ride...OOoops!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.