Send Topic Print
wiring issues... (Read 110 times)
Jr.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

wiring issues...
05/11/09 at 09:34:18

Well im replacing the entire wiring harness on my bike to get rid of the extra crap that the guy before me had all over the place, and the wires that he had ripped in half becuase he put them right next to the belt. But either way, back to my big question.

There are 2 wires left that i need to disconnect, but i can figure out what they go to. They run right along the big gaggle of wires that go up to the high beams, turn signal, front control thing, and somewhere in the middle they split off and go into the turn signals and head light.

At first i thought they were from the horn but now im not so sure. Think you guys can help. Ill try and get pictures up sometime if anyone needs them.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: wiring issues...
Reply #1 - 05/11/09 at 10:07:00

I could probably tell you if I saw a pic. I've been doing a lot with wires right now.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/11/09 at 13:07:44

there's a link on the site to a pdf of the clymer manual, download it... it has wiring diagrams for 86-03 savages, all in color, no less... if you'd like help in determining what function a wire has, please identify it both by location, and color....  makes long-distance psychic wiring diagnosis much easier...lol

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 05/11/09 at 13:43:41

Need Year of bike and color of the wire to include the color of any strip on the wire.   (the stripe is sometimes called a trace)

Note, the two yellow with green stripe (green trace) is for the clutch lever interlock switch.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jr.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/11/09 at 20:02:37

Well i bought the clymer manual when i bought the bike, and i would have given you guys the color of the 2 wires but the guys who had it before me switched the color of the wire about 5 times with electric tape. Ill try and get pictures up tonite if i cant figure out what they are.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #5 - 05/12/09 at 11:28:38

Jr. wrote on 05/11/09 at 20:02:37:
Well i bought the clymer manual when i bought the bike, and i would have given you guys the color of the 2 wires but the guys who had it before me switched the color of the wire about 5 times with electric tape. Ill try and get pictures up tonite if i cant figure out what they are.

try the ends by harness connectors... you'll usually find at least an inch of original insulation on wires there, even after a "spaghetti monster" has butchered the harness.... you do gotta love the guy who saves 6 inch pieces of wire to do repairs with.... nothing like a calico harness to make electrical diagnosis fun....lol  wait until you find a single color harness.... all wires replaced with black, or red, etc... that makes for very long diagnostic sessions.... kind of makes me wonder if the guy was color blind when i see those...lol

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 05/12/09 at 16:02:44

I had to use different color wires when I did some of my wire work. I also left as much of the factory wire one each end as I could.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #7 - 05/12/09 at 17:01:35

Savage_Amusement wrote on 05/12/09 at 16:02:44:
I had to use different color wires when I did some of my wire work. I also left as much of the factory wire one each end as I could.

oh, sometimes its unavoidable, and exactly, you just leave clues for the next poor sap with wrenches.... i should point out, though, that wiring harnesses are cheap as can be on ebay,  so if it really needs a major spaghetti transplant, that option is pretty affordable... ive worked on forklifts that have been re-wired with romex, single color jobs, kluged in car harnesses....old equipment is kinda like old bikes, you find ton of evidence of field expedient parts substitutions...lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:22:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wiring issues...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.