Send Topic Print
new exhaust question (Read 90 times)
wrd17
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new exhaust question
05/10/09 at 23:40:43

is it plausible to get an exhaust shop to make me a new header and exhaust in one piece (or not necessarily one piece). Or will i have to order a new header and get an exhaust separate?
Also, can i paint the header or powder coat it and expect it to hold up?

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: new exhaust question
Reply #1 - 05/10/09 at 23:53:52

so long as the flange at the top is right, you can have a shop make any kind of pipe you like... a 1 piece might be a little awkward to handle for install, and require a modification of the instructions to install or remove, but otherwise perfectly ok solution...

edit: if a local shop has one of those "bend to model" computer rigs, you can mock up your pipe from chunks and elbows, and then have them duplicate the profile...

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/11/09 at 00:04:02

oh, and on powdercoating or painting... chrome dislikes holding paint, powdercoat, or any other coating... i worked 2 years at a powdercoat shop, and saw my boss mess up alot of exhaust systems... if you want to paint a stock headpipe, get one in good shape, take it to a plating shop, and have them deplate it.... the steel is a much better substrate for any high-temp coating.... spraying a coat of the paint on the inside of the top of the headpipe will go a long way towards making the paint last... it "cokes" and insulates the top of the pipe.... same trick lessens bluing up on chrome or stainless pipes...

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #3 - 05/11/09 at 07:50:48

The only coating for that heat is JET-HOT or another of the header coating outfits.  You certainly do not want anything inside the pipe that is not smooth; hindering exhaust gas flow is bad.

Jet-Hot has a new ChromeShield coating, if one is willing to send their pipe to the North Carolina facility.
http://www.jet-hot.com/chromeshield.html

If anyone contacts Jet-Hot about this, please post all the details.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:26:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new exhaust question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.