Send Topic Print
oil cooler advice? (Read 77 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

oil cooler advice?
05/10/09 at 15:03:47

I didn't see any recent post on oil coolers for the savage. Any Ideas or suggestions?
I have seen an oil temp/drain plug for a savage from Moto-Detail. The Savage doesn't appear to have room for a temperature probe, so my guess is that it would only read the temp of the case itself.
I would love to have both.

Thanks for any help.

Johnboy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: oil cooler advice?
Reply #1 - 05/10/09 at 15:38:22

There's a handfull that have done it and a couple of ways to gitrdon.

any ol' cooler will do.
There are 2 ports on the front of the case and the bottom. M14-1.25 if I remember correctly.  
Now the last time I went to the dealer I saw something that just made me drool, and I asked where do they park these at night?   Smiley  It had I mean has a nice oil cooler on the front, oil lines running down about the right place too.
But what I'm intending to do as a phase 1 project, is to run some copper line up from one port to the other.  And plug in a temperature gage.

WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/10/09 at 16:19:29

Please let me know what you find out.
Looks like I will spend at least one more summer in the desert, and buddy it's "HOT" out here!

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #3 - 05/10/09 at 17:27:38

In desert heat be sure you're running xW-50 synthetic motorcycle oil.  The cooler is a great idea.  I'd use steel or stainless steel tubing, not copper, except the copper as a development project would be fine.  When the copper has the right bends, any hydraulic shop can bend steel or stainless to match, as well as providing the right fittings.  Call ahead to see if they can source metric fittings, and the metric fittings probably will need metric tubing...all available in any metro industrial center like L.A. and elsewhere.  There's lots of imported industrial machinery using metric fittings.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:13:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil cooler advice?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.