Send Topic Print
air horn (Read 101 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

air horn
05/09/09 at 14:56:42

SmileyDose anyone have the stebel nautilus compact air horn on there bikes. Is it a lot louder than our stock horn. On the net i have read good and bad things about it. So I am asking the smartest people on the net, is this a good horn> Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: air horn
Reply #1 - 05/09/09 at 19:55:16

For a while I had the compressor mounted to the handle bars and the horns in a tool bag with the end cut out and the horns and shower drains pop-riveted to the bag. Worked fine but i ended up going another direction and now have an electric "fiam" 130 db horn that works somewhat OK. I have one of those compact air horns I intend to install on the frame of the sidecar rig when I get to it. Didn't seem to need the horn much in AZ, which was nice. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/09/09 at 20:43:59

Heres what I did.  It blasts them to the point that they sometimes jerk in their seat.  Being up high, nearly at the car windows' level helps a lot. Its ugly, but I value my safety way more than what someone else thinks of my bike.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #3 - 05/10/09 at 04:51:23

I put a "badboy" air horn on.  Since it is a compact unit, it fits where the stock horn is.  All I did was run a hot wire from the battery to the relay( which comes with the horn) and used the stock horn circuit to fire the relay.

Loud and not ugly...

"BTW...Gort I love your horns!!!!!"

Because I can!
  IP Logged
haulback
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vancouver, British Columbia, C
Reply #4 - 05/10/09 at 06:05:22

I too would like to replace the stock horn....... air horn would be nice, but volume is what I am after here.. A bonus if it is easy to install - with name & model.

Loud would be really good !!!

Noticed there was as earlier thread on this subject with 2 suggested models, but no info on whether not they were 'bolt-in' units.

As an aside, on my crane at work I have gathered and installed 16 air horns, a few of them wimpy chrome truck horns but mostly  'real' horns made by Airchime. Yarding, boat and crane whistles - a set of locomotive horns, two 3 foot long ship's horns and a couple other 18 inch foghorns  -All fed by 1 & 1/2 inch air line @ 180 psi through 2 whistle valves - one for the 'whistle' bank and one for the 'trumpet' bank. Very cool....very loud.

bolt-in' units.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #5 - 05/10/09 at 10:48:21

Toymaker wrote on 05/10/09 at 04:51:23:
I put a "badboy" air horn on.  Since it is a compact unit, it fits where the stock horn is.  All I did was run a hot wire from the battery to the relay( which comes with the horn) and used the stock horn circuit to fire the relay.

Loud and not ugly...

Is there a fuse on the hot wire?  If so, what size?
And where did you put the relay?

Thanks!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #6 - 05/10/09 at 10:59:10

drharveys - FSO wrote on 05/10/09 at 10:48:21:
Toymaker wrote on 05/10/09 at 04:51:23:

Loud and not ugly...

Is there a fuse on the hot wire?  If so, what size?
And where did you put the relay?

Thanks!

always put a fuse or circuit breaker in a hot lead to a battery... check the spec sheet for your horn, it'll show a current draw figure in amps... use the next size fuse up from that figure...ie: if the draw is 3.5 amps, 5 amp fuse, 7.5 draw-10 amp fuse, etc....

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #7 - 05/10/09 at 11:04:40

yep...I did that.  I ran a fused wire to the hot and a separate ground.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:31:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › air horn

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.