Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"SuzukiSavage.com" and"Even a Teacher Can Do It!" (Read 281 times)
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
"SuzukiSavage.com" and"Even a Teacher Can Do It!"
05/07/09 at 17:28:04

When I found this site in November, I thought the "seat mod" would be about the extent of my Savage-mod confidence. Next I read the oil change instructions, ordered a filter, and changed my oil & filter one night. Dang I was feeling pretty good, so I figured I would pipe up about joining in on the June trip to Deals Gap. Spring Break came, and not being able to wait another month and a half, I "Rode the Dragon". Riding 129 I remember, thinking I was forever stuck with that same stock muffler, until I returned home, and happened to come across a deal on a Sportster muffler. I figured, what the heck, surely I can take the stock muffler off and slide the Sporty on, and never have to mess with that mysterious carb, (what with all it's hidden idle mix screws and OMG that White Spacer). Well stock off, Sporty on and...POP-POP-POP. Now what? Teachers can't afford mechanics! OK, so I PM'd a few folks and took the next step to becoming a bona-fide Savage Man! Seat & gas tank off, brass plug removed, idle screw adjusted, white spacer replaced with half-size spacer, spark plug replaced and everything back together and guess what? IT WORKS!!!---RUNS/SOUNDS GREAT!!! THANKS TO ALL THE SAVAGE GURUS THAT EMPOWER OTHERS ON THIS SITE!!!
Regards, Darrell
"Even a Teacher Can Be a Student!!!" Grin

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: "SuzukiSavage.com" and"Even a Teacher Can Do I
Reply #1 - 05/07/09 at 17:36:59

Now that's one of the coolest posts I've read in a while.  Congrats!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/07/09 at 18:03:40

When we stop learning then we are dead.

Congrats, your brain has another wrinkle devoted to the savage.

Even the lowliest student can be a teacher to the wise.

Lead on student.

WWW   IP Logged
ghstrdr110
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Demotte, IN
Reply #3 - 05/07/09 at 18:46:02

Very cool. I going on my first road trip this weekend with a couple people from work. They all ride HD's.  Everyone on this site is so helpful. like you I was apprehensive about tackling some of the more technical issues. I have been given great advice from people on this forum. Thanks to all. How tough was the carb? That's next on my list. (she backfires a little on decel)

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/07/09 at 19:46:24

savagedml wrote on 05/07/09 at 17:28:04:
When I found this site in November, I thought the "seat mod" would be about the extent of my Savage-mod confidence. Next I read the oil change instructions, ordered a filter, and changed my oil & filter one night. Dang I was feeling pretty good, so I figured I would pipe up about joining in on the June trip to Deals Gap. Spring Break came, and not being able to wait another month and a half, I "Rode the Dragon". Riding 129 I remember, thinking I was forever stuck with that same stock muffler, until I returned home, and happened to come across a deal on a Sportster muffler. I figured, what the heck, surely I can take the stock muffler off and slide the Sporty on, and never have to mess with that mysterious carb, (what with all it's hidden idle mix screws and OMG that White Spacer). Well stock off, Sporty on and...POP-POP-POP. Now what? Teachers can't afford mechanics! OK, so I PM'd a few folks and took the next step to becoming a bona-fide Savage Man! Seat & gas tank off, brass plug removed, idle screw adjusted, white spacer replaced with half-size spacer, spark plug replaced and everything back together and guess what? IT WORKS!!!---RUNS/SOUNDS GREAT!!! THANKS TO ALL THE SAVAGE GURUS THAT EMPOWER OTHERS ON THIS SITE!!!
Regards, Darrell
"Even a Teacher Can Be a Student!!!" Grin

You teachers cant afford a mechanic? Oh man Teachers here in Ottawa make a killing after a few years in the field. One gym teacher I work with makes 70grand/year after 10years in the field. No where else will you get 4000$ a year raise lol

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #5 - 05/07/09 at 19:58:25

Thanks for the nice comments, but I owe my recent successes to the "Suzuki Savage Sages" on this site (i.e.: Vers., DJ, OF, Toy and matt_savage among many others that gave me that last bit of encouragement to try it.  The carb mod (idle mix screw & white spacer) was step by step as posted in the Tech section. I took my time including, heeding the lesson of another poster and proceded slowly so as to not strip the screws holding the top cover on the carb. I did reference the pictures posted in the Tech section often during the process, and it seems that taking my time (something that is not natural for me) probably saved me a lot of trouble. When I was in the corporate environment I had heard that those that can== do, and those that can't== teach. Well let me say I now believe that those that can-- do, and those that can do can also can teach teachers== to do! GO FOR THAT MOD! REMEMBER: EVEN I DID IT!

"Let's roll!"
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #6 - 05/07/09 at 20:11:08

Yes, but Odv, but that's Canandian dollars, and aren't they like monopoly money dollars?  Just kidding. I've only got 5 years in, but maybe it was just the thought of paying someone to do something deep down inside I knew I could do myself if I just took the plunge.

"Let's roll!"
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #7 - 05/07/09 at 20:11:31

You poor thing we sucked you in now you can never leave, but than we cant either. This is the best bunch to be with. read all the postes. Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/08/09 at 01:48:49

Congrats to you! It really is an irreplaceble feeling, when you've done it yourself, isn't it? I started off very intimidated. I'm not "Mr. Fixit", I'm "Mr. Hire-it-out"; but now, thanks to this site, I feel a lot more confident.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 05/08/09 at 07:59:19

Congrats on the success!!  I was so nervous and my heart was beating out of my chest when I fired mine up for the first time after I had the bike apart over the last 3 months.  I practically had everything on and off sans engine internals and it fired up the first time!!!

p.s. Let me know if youre up a ride sometime, I'm up in Richmond and ride down towards West Point occasionally.

-Matt

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #10 - 05/08/09 at 08:48:41

Congrats, I love doing my own work too. My carb was already done when I got my bike. At least the mix screw was uncapped already.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/08/09 at 09:23:18

congratulations, you are on your way to the most modded bike on this site........well, maybe not, but its a good start.

to paraphrase Miss Frizzle:
"get messy, make mistakes, learn" (from the Magic Schoolbus)
too many people are scared to even try.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #12 - 05/08/09 at 10:57:13

we gotcha!!  who earns the commision for this one? seriously. though, be careful... road grime under the nails is highly addictve... you're going to find a large portion of your pay going to tools now...  thinking up debate points for why that next mod is as important as oxygen to your existance.... if you arent scraping a gasket 3 times a week, the "itches" are going to start.... you're going to wonder how you ever survived without scraped knuckles and a sore back....in short, it's in your blood now... welcome to the world of folks who have truly mastered their machines.... never told us, how long was the "cheesy grin" on your mug? Grin

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #13 - 05/08/09 at 11:10:29

Marshall:

Thanks for the comment. Funny you should mention tools. I pride myself in having about every tool you can think of, but yes this project did give me an excuse to replace my magnetic screwdrivers! I mean how can a man be expected to work with screwdrivers with an "old" magnetic field?  Wink & by the way I'm still grinning! Grin

"Let's roll!"
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #14 - 05/08/09 at 11:24:02

rofl... good, it'll probably be plastered there for 6 months or so... if you're a tool buff, check out max moreley's comments on philips profiles and screwdrivers that fit... he's the only guy ive ever heard of that knew a "reed prince" tip even existed....it's the tools and the ego problem that separates us from the "lesser apes".... you know, the ones that dont have to kill each other to feel civilized....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:21:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "SuzukiSavage.com" and"Even a Teacher Can Do It!"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.