Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Comfortable Seat at Last! (Read 294 times)
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
A Comfortable Seat at Last!
05/07/09 at 15:22:20

Yes!  My long awaited package from Bill Mayer Saddles arrived, and the new seat is installed.

First photo in front of the waterfall across from the golf course in Forest Park:

From the other side, with the Forest Park Boathouse Cafe in the background:

And with the World's Fair Pavilion in the background:

Initial impression:  It's GREAT!  No longer am I sitting on a combination of the tailbone and the scrotal region.  Now the weight is where it belongs -- on my butt cheeks!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: A Comfortable Seat at Last!
Reply #1 - 05/07/09 at 16:49:32

Wow! I love that seat!  Is that a custom job?

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/07/09 at 17:00:08

Very nice!!!
This appears to be a one piece. Did you have to change mounting points?
I notice that you have removed the sissy bar pad...much cleaner look (IMHO). What can you tell me about the luggage rack above the tail light?
Very clean look!!
Thanks for the pics.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #3 - 05/07/09 at 17:46:14

Wow, that even looks comfortable......

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #4 - 05/07/09 at 20:53:38

To answer your questions:

The seat was done by Rick Mayer:

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

I sent him the original stock seat, and he worked his magic on the original pan.  Since the pan was unchanged, I didn't have to change around the mounting brackets.  Because of the leather "throw over" part of the saddlebags, I did have to trim the rear rubber pieces to compensate.  There was still a bit of a wrestling match to get all three screws started, but it fits great.

I sent the seat to Rick on Jan 15.  I remember the date because he extended the winter special that the web site said had to arrive by that date.  I just got it back Wednesday May 6.  Rick does all the custom work himself -- it's a masterpiece.  Being that he extended the special, I sprung for the leather.

Since I had already tried the cheaper upgrade of the pillow top gel seat from Suzuki, I managed OK!  (I have a friend with a Savage -- if she doesn't buy that seat from me, it will be offered to you guys.)

(If you only see a Sportster, "slide" the picture over.  There's a Savage in there, too!)

Why Rick Mayer?  I owned BMW's for about 20 years and have seen his seats on a lot of long distance riders' bikes.  I liked the looks and the reputation.

He is just outside of Redding, California.  If that's within riding or trailering range for you, you can schedule a ride-in appointment.  That will let you break in the new seat on some incredible riding!

As for the luggage rack, that's a standard Suzuki rack.  You need the sissy bar to mount it.  I got mine from Oneida Suzuki http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/home.php
They usually discount Suzuki's list price and sometimes even put them on sale!

And I wasn't real pleased with the way the sissybar pad looked.  Once it was off, there are the two holes for the screws.  I stuck the Suzuki emblem back on the back side, and put a "dash plaque" from the BMW Owners of Japan on the front side.

Thanks for all the positive feedback!   Cool

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #5 - 05/08/09 at 04:07:57

Nice looking bike.What golf course oh I see it now cant take my eyes of the bike! Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #6 - 05/08/09 at 06:28:29

alcoa wrote on 05/08/09 at 04:07:57:
Nice looking bike.What golf course oh I see it now cant take my eyes of the bike! Wink

Actually the golf course is on the other side of the street and around the waterfall in the first photo.  The big swath of green is the lawn in front of the World's Fair Pavillion at the top of the hill.  You can rent it from the park for all sorts of events:  weddings, art shows, and I think the police auction was held there one year.

I live about four blocks from the park.  My favorite workout is two laps of the 6 1/2 mile perimeter bicycle path.  I won't be doing that today -- rain -- so you'll just have to catch me in the gym!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/08/09 at 09:54:43

Nice looking seat, probably embarrassingly expensive, Butt, and the butt is what it is all about, worth it. An uncomfortable seat means less riding time.
My own is a buddy saddle from a 65 panhead.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 05/08/09 at 10:18:01

I must me the odd one here, but I like the stock seat, plenty comfy for me, of course I got my own padding ...  Cheesy
Now sport bikes most of their seat suck ... Heck all of them suck.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/08/09 at 14:48:58

srinath wrote on 05/08/09 at 10:18:01:
I must me the odd one here, but I like the stock seat, plenty comfy for me, of course I got my own padding ...  Cheesy
Now sport bikes most of their seat suck ... Heck all of them suck.
Cool.
Srinath.

Hell, dual purpose bikes don't even have a seat unless you put one on. It's like riding a rail.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #10 - 05/08/09 at 18:58:27

That seat is thing of beauty! I want one of them!!

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/09/09 at 05:23:57

As a fellow St. Louisian, I’d say you could take a nap on that seat! Looks great. I’ll watch for you riding around the park.

Watch out for stray golf balls coming from behind that waterfall. I think that’s the old number eight hole if memory serves me correctly.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/09/09 at 08:07:34

drharveys - FSO wrote on 05/07/09 at 15:22:20:
Yes!  My long awaited package from Bill Mayer Saddles arrived, and the new seat is installed.

First photo in front of the waterfall across from the golf course in Forest Park:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/drharveys/Suzuki/DSC00889.jpg

From the other side, with the Forest Park Boathouse Cafe in the background:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/drharveys/Suzuki/DSC00890.jpg

And with the World's Fair Pavilion in the background:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/drharveys/Suzuki/DSC00891.jpg

Initial impression:  It's GREAT!  No longer am I sitting on a combination of the tailbone and the scrotal region.  Now the weight is where it belongs -- on my butt cheeks!

I am gonna hold your babies ransome for that seat lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:30:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A Comfortable Seat at Last!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.