Crankcase breather (Read 94 times)
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Crankcase breather
05/07/09 at 10:47:21

Hello Everyone,

the PO of othe bike moved the crankcase breather hose to the outside.
I notice oily residue on the side of the bike where the end of the hose is. (oily all over tools cover).

What benefits do i gain from having the breather outside?

Should i leave it or move it to back (to the air box i think)?

Thanks for any input  Smiley
Matt

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Crankcase breather
Reply #1 - 05/07/09 at 11:16:41

The oil breather hose on this engine does not depend on evacuation to remove fumes or pressure.  It is a "puffer", and is routed into the airbox to satisfy emission requirements.  Routing it outside the airbox gives you no performance advantage. The problem you are having has been reported by other members, and the solution reported by some is to raise the hose higher than the engine.  Mine is attached to a breather filter that is lower than the engine and it drips, and the only reason I did that was because I removed the airbox.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/07/09 at 11:21:52

the benefit is that you dont have to squat down and pull the drain plug from the airbox vent... the downside is you have to squat down to wipe off the oil mist, and whatever finished parts the hose is pointed at are getting slow cooked.... the PO probably figured it would work like an old-timey "draft tube" engine vent (pre-pcv valve system on cages) you can hook it back up to the airbox, or if you eliminated the airbox, a drag racing "burp-bottle" can be easily mounted... speed shops, jc whitney, pep boys, jegs, etc are all sources for burpers....just make sure it's a vented one with a drain....

edit: here's a thought for guys running chains... route the vent tube so it points at the chain... full time vapor lubing... could probably epoxy a nipple in the belt guard... non- oring chains run about 30 bucks, and a constant oiling system would make them last quite a while....

IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #3 - 05/08/09 at 09:30:19

Marshall, what a clever idea for those with chains Wink

I think will just put it back to the airbox and just check the drain tube occasionaly

Thanks for info!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:42:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Crankcase breather

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.