Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Searching for step by step jetting instructions (Read 131 times)
PaulB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Searching for step by step jetting instructions
05/07/09 at 05:06:43

I know it must be on this site somewhere, but I can not find a thread with step by step jetting instructions. I want to start with the idle mixture screw only and see how that helps, will tear into the float bowl only if I need to. Anybody got a link with step by step pictures?

thanks

paul

IP Logged
PTRider

Re: Searching for step by step jetting instruction
Reply #1 - 05/07/09 at 06:37:47

Idle mixture screw
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822

Changing the main jet is easy, but the least useful, 'cuz this is only effective at maybe 60% to 100% of full throttle.  Stock is a 145 main jet.  I have a 150, and will soon try a 147.5 in an effort to get more miles per tank and still have smooth operation.  The main jet is easily accessed by removing the carburetor bowl.  Getting the back two screws out usually works using a #2 Phillips bit for a screw gun or drill/driver and a wrench on the hex of the bit.  Many of us replace the screws with socket head cap screws (Allen screws) so a ball-end hex key (Allen wrench) can be used.  The screw heads are not exactly Phillips...they have a small dot near the + on the screw head indicating that they are JIS screw heads.  Phillips screwdrivers usually work fine, but sometimes strip the heads.  JIS = Japanese Industrial Standard.  By the way, does everyone know that the number on the Phillips screwdriver is the shank diameter in eights of an inch?...#1 = 1/8" dia., #2 = 1/4" dia., etc.  (except #0, #00).

Changing the jet needle spacer was the biggest help for me to get smooth operation.  This is part number 4 on Greg's drawing
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098869040
I replaced the spacer (about 2.7mm high) with a stack of 3mm washers that is about 2mm high.  This is accessed by removing the seat & tank.  I like the result a lot.  I'm running a stock intake and exhaust.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/07/09 at 09:43:28

what year is the bike - 86-88 are different as well as any non-us market bikes

IP Logged
PaulB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/07/09 at 10:17:28

it is a brand new 2007, just hit 500 miles. the pictures in the first reply look just like my bike.

thanks,

paul

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 05/07/09 at 19:27:21

I did the obvious and Googled some phrase like "tuning Mikuni carbs." The interesting site, to me, was www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines....
The discussion appeared to be about higher-rpm engines than the S40, but it seems to me the basic principles would be the same. I found interesting that their theory says get the main jet right before you do anything else. I can't speak for their procedures or results, because I am happy with the way my factory setup works and haven't meddled with it.
There is an old saying: the word "Carburetor" is French for "Don't muck with it."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/15/09 at 17:41:03

my bike seems to idle best at 3 1/4 turns out it kinda makes me nervous i guess i need to look for some jets, in the meantime i gotta watch  that screw the dealership had it at 3 1/2 turns out  i know ihave know vac leaks my float is set right so it has to be the jets right??

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:19:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Searching for step by step jetting instructions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.