Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
chair (Read 219 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
chair
05/06/09 at 22:19:12

Hi there, I am thinking of running a small sports chair on bike 2 and seem to remember reading something about it in the fourm that somebody was running one but cant find it. Would anybody know if anchor points would have to be welded to the frame like the old type of fixing, or is there a form of clamping ,,cheers,,kenny

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: chair
Reply #1 - 05/06/09 at 22:41:50

I've been thinking of stealing my dad's ol' road race side car my self.

A search for sidecar will turn up a few of you islanders who like sidecars.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1240784099/6#6

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1235679890/16#16

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 05/07/09 at 09:23:23

There are mixed schools of thought on how to attached the sidecar mounting arms to the Savage. Velorex makes clamps that many use with great success. for my first one I had a subframe made by a side car fitter that bolts to the bottom of the bike at the foot peg bolts in front, the engine bolts and an unused lug near the rear and then is secured again by the allen head cap screws that go around the swing frame pivot. It does change ground clearance but provides 2 very stout mounting points. There is also a 2nd brace that goes from the upper swing frame cap screws to under the shock, providing another stout place for that point. 4th pint is on the down tube using a special clamp that doesn't damage the tube. Uses Heim joints and large threaded rods so adjustment is infinite and easy.  Velorex uses bands about 2 inches long that a pinch bolt (3/4 x18 or so) is attached too that actually puts a dent on the frame pipe it goes around. I am trying to decide on my second on which way to go. I think Royal Enfield uses the Velorex method so there are many cars mounted this way. Phelonis makes his own brackets but he is a talented machinist and has lots of experience mounting sidecars. He runs with the big boys on their Motoguzzis w/cars and has done some off road work with his. You might want to go to the USCA site for more information. In theory the car is supposed to be about 1/3 the weight of the bike. I'm not sure all follow it as I've read about light cars on heavy bikes that work just fine. Maybe take more practice and skill to ride. I'm in a holding pattern right now with my 2nd car deciding on a tug and mounting choices. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #3 - 05/07/09 at 10:01:26

Hi there this is what I am thinking of as a winter project to fix it up and clamp it to the bike,,I was looking at the bike frame and i wouldn't want to start welding fixing points on it as the metal is pretty thin so I will have to figure out some clamps,,cheers

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/07/09 at 16:30:03

kennycreed wrote on 05/07/09 at 10:01:26:
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/kennycreedab/BR6eu-wB2kKGrHgoOKi4Ejl...  

Hi there this is what I am thinking of as a winter project to fix it up and clamp it to the bike,,I was looking at the bike frame and i wouldn't want to start welding fixing points on it as the metal is pretty thin so I will have to figure out some clamps,,cheers

That's a nice off road hack. Considering that you live in a place where all the folks drive on the wrong side of the road, it should do nicely.
Did you ever wonder why with our British heritage, we do not drive on the same side of the road as the UK?
It is because most folks are right handed and when on horseback, a knight always kept oncoming traffic on the side where he best wielded his sword.
We here in the colonies however, grew up in the age of the Kentucky long rifle. By resting the rifle across the saddle pommel one could keep a watchful eye on oncoming traffic without seeming agressive.

Some things never change.  I.E. suspicions of oncoming traffic.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #5 - 05/12/09 at 06:03:32

Phelonius wrote on 05/07/09 at 16:30:03:
kennycreed wrote on 05/07/09 at 10:01:26:
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/kennycreedab/BR6eu-wB2kKGrHgoOKi4Ejl...  

That's a nice off road hack. Considering that you live in a place where all the folks drive on the wrong side of the road, it should do nicely.
Did you ever wonder why with our British heritage, we do not drive on the same side of the road as the UK?
It is because most folks are right handed and when on horseback, a knight always kept oncoming traffic on the side where he best wielded his sword.
We here in the colonies however, grew up in the age of the Kentucky long rifle. By resting the rifle across the saddle pommel one could keep a watchful eye on oncoming traffic without seeming agressive.

Some things never change.  I.E. suspicions of oncoming traffic.
Phelonius

Since I started riding, I'm not only suspicious of the oncoming traffic, but the traffic going the same direction too! Grin  Everyone around here on 4 wheels (or more) act like they're playing one of those video games where you get more points for running people down. Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #6 - 05/12/09 at 06:48:28

-------------------
"Since I started riding, I'm not only suspicious of the oncoming traffic, but the traffic going the same direction too! Grin  Everyone around here on 4 wheels (or more) act like they're playing one of those video games where you get more points for running people down. Roll Eyes [/quote]
-------------------

I've just got back from a morning riding around in the centre of London. Only two emergency stops!  A taxi, and a woman pushing a baby out in front of me. Angry

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #7 - 05/12/09 at 07:05:30

PhilM wrote on 05/12/09 at 06:48:28:
-------------------
"Since I started riding, I'm not only suspicious of the oncoming traffic, but the traffic going the same direction too! Grin  Everyone around here on 4 wheels (or more) act like they're playing one of those video games where you get more points for running people down. Roll Eyes

-------------------

I've just got back from a morning riding around in the centre of London. Only two emergency stops!  A taxi, and a woman pushing a baby out in front of me. Angry

[/quote]
Holy cow! Shocked  You have my sympathy if you have to deal with that traffic often.  And I thought Friday afternoon rush hour traffic in Portland was bad! Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
eyeore302000
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lexington, SC
Reply #8 - 05/12/09 at 07:57:36

WOW that traffic looks awful !! I'll cruise throught atlanta any day  LOL !!

87 savage burgandy 2200 miles my first bobber project !! 2001 savage black 7000 miles !! 2004 savage purple 13,000 miles (my first savage) !! 2005 S40 7600 miles (my full dresser) !!
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/12/09 at 13:01:59

Go to the tech section and read about cracked swingarm.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:26:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.