Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gasoline leaking from air filter (Read 134 times)
Facebite138
YaBB Newbies

You Only Live
Once!!!

Midland, Texas
Gasoline leaking from air filter
05/06/09 at 18:51:37

Recently I removed my air-box and went with a cone air filter right on the carburetor. I also swapped the stock muffler for a sportster muffler that has no baffle. The first few times I started the bike, as it warmed up it would stall out and gasoline would begin to leak out the air filter onto my battery box. I tried to remedy the problem by increasing the idle speed and haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure what was causing the problem but increasing the idle seemed to help, I've measured the offset of my float and it's at 1.090 inches which should be fine since it's right between the 1.060 to 1.114 inches tolerance. Secondly The bike backfires every time I roll off the throttle. At first I was annoyed then got used to it and now I'm annoyed with it again and would like to stop it if I can.

No Air-Box, K&N Filter, Sportster Muffler w/No Baffle, 110-90 140-90, No Front Fender
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Gasoline leaking from air filter
Reply #1 - 05/06/09 at 19:14:47

Have you done anything to the carb?  Where you using the choke when starting?  How long?

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/06/09 at 20:20:53

when you changed both the intake and exhaust, you changed the vaccum window of the carb at idle... where it was set when it caused the dripping was a rev point where the jet "perculated" either at the beginning or ending(or both) of the intake cycle.. when you increased the idle, you got it past that point...might want to check your jetting... the backfiring is what comes with an open exhaust... only way to eliminate it is to run baffles, or some other muffler

IP Logged
Facebite138
YaBB Newbies

You Only Live
Once!!!

Midland, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/09/09 at 07:33:41

Thank you Marshall 13, When you say to check my jetting I still have the stock jetting. The main is a 145, my neighbor (a dirt bike racer/mechanic) thinks I need to go 1 jet size smaller. I was under the impression that I needed to go one size bigger since there is everything is free flowing. I thought I'd need more fuel to match the increase of airflow. I'm not to sure which direction to take it.

No Air-Box, K&N Filter, Sportster Muffler w/No Baffle, 110-90 140-90, No Front Fender
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/09/09 at 07:47:26

Do you got a tach?

A higher idle will help with the pop on roll off.  So will richening the idle mixture.

With an open exhaust, it's more likely to pop on roll off.  but check your header bolts and muf clamp.

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/09/09 at 08:02:28

Facebite138 wrote on 05/09/09 at 07:33:41:
Thank you Marshall 13, When you say to check my jetting I still have the stock jetting. The main is a 145, my neighbor (a dirt bike racer/mechanic) thinks I need to go 1 jet size smaller. I was under the impression that I needed to go one size bigger since there is everything is free flowing. I thought I'd need more fuel to match the increase of airflow. I'm not to sure which direction to take it.

Yeah I would go up to a 146 main at least. I ran that with stock filter and a harley muffler, increased my idle a tad, and played with the air/fuel mixture to rid of the pop. I would get some backfire when my muffler was not clamped down properly. check the muff for leaks first for sure.

IP Logged
Facebite138
YaBB Newbies

You Only Live
Once!!!

Midland, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/09/09 at 09:12:06

No I do not currently have a tachometer.

I'll try to increase the jet and check over the exhaust for leaks.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/09/09 at 09:12:11

odvelasc wrote on 05/09/09 at 08:02:28:

Yeah I would go up to a 146 main at least. I ran that with stock filter and a harley muffler, increased my idle a tad, and played with the air/fuel mixture to rid of the pop. I would get some backfire when my muffler was not clamped down properly. check the muff for leaks first for sure.

I have never seen a 146 for a Savage, next size up is 147and 1/2, then 150.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/09/09 at 11:48:30

Phelonius wrote on 05/09/09 at 09:12:11:
odvelasc wrote on 05/09/09 at 08:02:28:

I have never seen a 146 for a Savage, next size up is 147and 1/2, then 150.

Phelonius

I bought a dynojet jet kit. Should have mentioned that lol. It came with a range of 142-146 main jets. All with increments of one. There is a conversion chart on the last page of the tech section. I guess a 146 dyno would be like a 130 for me. Apparently the white spacer mod with   the rejetting will help witht reducing backfire and increasing midrange.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/09/09 at 17:04:23

& drain the gunk hose hanging down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Facebite138
YaBB Newbies

You Only Live
Once!!!

Midland, Texas
Reply #10 - 05/09/09 at 20:31:29

Got a 147.5 and installed it today, then went out for a test ride. The pop of the backfire on the roll off of the throttle was a lot more sharp. I think the white spacer mod needs to happen, I've got the washers for that and just haven't tried it yet.

I used to drain the gunk hose with every oil change, but since the air-box is gone so is the gunk hose. My breather tube terminates with an automotive type breather filter.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #11 - 05/10/09 at 00:19:15

you gotta do the whole re-jet routine... get a few spark plugs, gap them correctly... take a sharpy or similar and mark them, numerically, alphabetically, whatever floats your boat... while your engine's cold, loosen the plug a half turn, then warm the bike up... pull the old plug, and install the first of your series of new ones, not too tight, just tight enough it wont leak or rattle loose, USE ANTI-SIEZE!!(you loosened the cold plug to keep from dogging up the threads when you took the plug out of the hot head)... start the bike up, just get it rolling in gear, dont rev it high... keep the throttle below 1/4 open... chug it at that setting for a couple moments, then pull in the clutch, hit the kill switch, and shift to neutral... dont drop the clutch while the bike's in gear...ok, pull plug, install next in series... same basic exercise, only 1/4 to half throttle... same for 1/2 to 3/4, and then 3/4 to full.... now, you have 4 plugs from your tests... clean, gap, and re-install your original plug, preferably waiting until the head is cold.... each of those plugs will tell you whether the jetting is correct, lean, or rich for the throttle setting involved... look at the insulator around the center electrode, see those deposits? tan is the correct color.... darker is richer, lighter is leaner the tech section on this site is absolutely loaded with jetting info for the stock carb... my suggestion is to read through ALL the posts on jetting... you will find a post where someone has a very similar set-up to yours... use their jetting as a start point... there is a superb post on jets involved at each throttle position... do the homework, find a good baseline to start from, then it's tons easier than just "welp, ill go one leaner and see..."

edit: of course, you clean and reuse each of those test plugs after every jet change... you're done when they all come back coated in cafe con leche(caramel to those who dont live in the miami area) colored deposits... and if you have to compromise, do it to the rich side... lean motors fry pistons, burn exhaust valves, run hot, and just basically steal all your riding fun....

IP Logged
Facebite138
YaBB Newbies

You Only Live
Once!!!

Midland, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/12/09 at 18:45:21

I believe everything seems to be in order now. No gasoline leaking from air filter. No stalling or sputtering. Seems to have more power. Roll-off Backfires are less frequent and much less severe.

52.5mm pilot jet
I did the white spacer mod (started with 3 washers (may go to 2 if needed))
stock Needle Jet
stock Jet Needle
150 main jet

Idle at 1,100 rpm

So far everything seems to be working nicely.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:13:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gasoline leaking from air filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.