Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sitting on a ticking time BOMB HELP! (Read 566 times)
dale2099
YaBB Newbies

One thump at a time

Sitting on a ticking time BOMB HELP!
05/06/09 at 12:15:55

Hello I am new to the suzukisavage.com so Hi I have a problem I was wondering if you could help me with.... When the bike is running it wil start going tick tick tick tick sounds like a valve ajustment so brought it into the shop and got the ajustment done that didi not work so they brought it in and they could not figure it out and now they are refunding the $800 I have dumped into it any help would be good at this point..... :'(

Thanks

dale2099   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: Sitting on a ticking time BOMB HELP!
Reply #1 - 05/06/09 at 12:41:28

check the tech section under cam chain adjuster.... sound like you need a vershlagy....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/06/09 at 13:00:00

First, slow down, get a manual, hang out here & look at a few threads on engine/valve noise & cam chain threads.

How many miles on your bike?

Never spend $800.00 on this bikes engine. Either fix it yourself or toss a used engine in.
Some Ticking is not only normal, but absolutely required, as the valvetrain MUST make some noise.
Have you used a stethoscope/screwdriver to listen to where this ticking is coming from? If its down on the right side of the engine, thats cam chain. If you have 15,000 miles or so, you should be looking at the cam chain adjuster, right away.
If the ticking is from high up on the engine, that would be valves. Adjusting them is kinda scary the first few times, but it gets to feeling "Normal" after youve done it & not wrecked anything a few times.

Now, if its neither one of those, then the possibilities start costing some $$$. I'd start here & I expect your problem is no big, costly problem,
That someone is refunding your $$$ is simply amazing. I am impressed with them for that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/06/09 at 13:28:37

Is it a tic tic tic or a toc toc toc ?

Your 1st post so we don't know you from a hole in the ground.

Tell us about you and your bike

How many miles? how long have you've had it?  Have you had bikes before? where are you? etc.

of immediate concern is the cam chain adjuster, we need miles to know how far back to stand while you run it up.  You can find the inspection procedure in the tech section, find cam chain adjuster yada yada.  all is explained in there.

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 05/06/09 at 13:29:21

Dale... ?  I'm curious what all they had previously repaired or replaced for $800 that they were willing to refund when they couldn't find the problem?

That information, and info on the age and mileage on the bike; how long you've owned it, and when, where and under what circumstances did the "ticking" start? All this info might help with diagnosis.

IP Logged
dale2099
YaBB Newbies

One thump at a time

Reply #5 - 05/06/09 at 14:14:54

Hi everyone

This is my bike:

1996 Savage

lets see...
I have done the rings, valves have been done.  This is my first bike so lets just say I'm [/color]GREEN[color=#000000] I went and got the service manual for the ls650. The sound that is coming of it is from what I can hear is of the top. The Ticking does not start at first start but after it has warmed up a bit after about 5k it sounds like  time bomb... I was burning oil but after the ring job that stopped. ANY HELP would be VARY WELCOME Undecided Thanx

dale2099   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/06/09 at 14:28:07

Thats just 8,000 miles. The racket is from the valve area. What oil you running? Whats the average temp where you are?
What is the valve clearance set at? How long since they were adjusted? In km or miles, not days.
Tighter is quieter, but ya gotta have some room there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dale2099
YaBB Newbies

One thump at a time

Reply #7 - 05/06/09 at 14:35:09

I did not do the oil change I got the service guys to do it and they did the spring tune up. The avg temp is a nice 65F - 75F or 12C - 21C The Valves were done 15K ago and they were done to spec... Undecided

dale2099   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #8 - 05/06/09 at 14:36:09

A mechanic's stethoscope is a great way to locate sounds

Oil burning and piston ring replacement and valve job before 13,000 miles?  Was the engine seriously abused?  Oil never changed?  Wrong oil used?

By the way, many cases of oil burning are due to the rings stuck in the ring grooves by baked in carbon.  Cycle-Rx is an ester based product that I've found to be very effective in car engines and transmissions, as Auto-Rx (same product, different instructions) to clean the engine internals including reducing oil consumption and improve compression.  No, I don't sell it; I buy it and like the results.

IP Logged
dale2099
YaBB Newbies

One thump at a time

Reply #9 - 05/06/09 at 15:51:51

As far as I know it was well taken care of...  is it normal for oil to come out of the screw at the front of the bike? It is not alot bit a vary little bit.... odd Does anyone know anybody that works on the LS650 that is good in Ontario that can have a look at it???

dale2099   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/06/09 at 17:53:36

Dale, first, take a deep breath. These are Do it yerself bikes.  I was scared of mine, too, at first, but by reading the posts here & READING THE MANUAL( ooops caplox, sry), you can save enough $$$ to pay for the tools needed to maintain it pretty quick.
Your valves are way overdue for adjustment.
Your cam chain is in the ballpark for time to service it, too. Maybe a Verslavy would get you some more time. Its worth the $$ & its easy to do.

What work did the shop do that cost $800.00?

oil? From a screw on the front? Which one? Is it chromed & low & on the right side ( as you sit on it)

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #11 - 05/06/09 at 18:08:59

Ontario, Canada (big place), or Ontario, California?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/06/09 at 18:14:37

There are a few canucks here, they'll have to advise you on where to go.

Your bike does not exhibit the signs of being well cared for.  Very unusuall for a valve and ring job to be done so early.  Or they saw you coming.

15km is well overdue for a valve adjust.

Do you have an owners manual, there's a link to one some in the tech section.

And how often do you change the oil, should be changed and valves adjusted every 6000km.  Search out the winterizing instructions too.  I suspect that may be apart of the problem.  change oil before storage and after.

WWW   IP Logged
dale2099
YaBB Newbies

One thump at a time

Reply #13 - 05/07/09 at 15:26:22

Hey Verslagen I saw a post you did for the rebuild and it sounded like you had the same problem... But only thing I can not find the post again... Could someone point me in the direction of the post???

Thanks again Smiley

dale2099   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 05/07/09 at 15:31:49

"I hear you knockin'"

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:16:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sitting on a ticking time BOMB HELP!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.