Drilling the Packing (Read 371 times)
Scott2020
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Drilling the Packing
05/06/09 at 08:11:48

Hello all,

Ok, just so everyone knows.  Just bought my first bike after wanting one for 32 years!  I bought a 2004 LS650 Savage with 7,600 miles.  Love the bike! Realize I know absolutley nothing about working on bikes, but can't wait to get in the groove.  

A lil help or suggestion about the pipes....   I want it LOUDER.  I hear I can pull the packing out of teh pipes to do that, but when i tried taking out the plate to get to the packing, the plate seems to be seal welded...  Can I drill the packing to get the same affect??  Step by step directions would be great since this will be my first shot at ever working on any bike whatsoever!  

Great Site!

IP Logged
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Re: Drilling the Packing
Reply #1 - 05/06/09 at 09:54:57

Get yourself a Jardine Slash Cut slip on. I have one… it's LOUD… sounds great… and I love it!

IP Logged
Scott2020
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/06/09 at 10:20:01

Thanks !  I will check that out!  Thanks for the response.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 05/06/09 at 10:42:28

Definitely better IMO to get a different muffler.  Stock ones can be sold pretty easily to those who like the stock muffler but have either dropped their bike and scuffed it or it has rusted out.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/06/09 at 11:27:21

Many muf's can be had that will fit.

A hardly used Dyna take off can be gotten cheap.

WWW   IP Logged
Gideon1986

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NE Ohio
Reply #5 - 05/06/09 at 11:31:45

DavetheDog wrote on 05/06/09 at 09:54:57:
Get yourself a Jardine Slash Cut slip on. I have one… it's LOUD… sounds great… and I love it!

Where would you get them at?

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #6 - 05/06/09 at 11:33:54

you want loud?  check out diamond jim's exhaust... lol... a suitable length of 1 3/4 inch exhaust tubing, an adaptor to fit the oem headpipe, and a baffle... his baffle is custom, but you can use any harley-type baffle that screws into a 1 3/4 inch pipe... a "screaming eagle" muffler for a dyna-glide would fit with the same adaptor as for diamond jim's.... jc whitney sells a 1 3/4 inch inlet glasspack muffler that would fit with the same adaptor.... might need the baffle for a glass pack to get enough back-pressure.... if you dont mind having to run way rich, do the tubing exhaust(without the baffle), and put a "torque cone" in the top of the headpipe.... the local old ladies will look like this when you ride past Angry   rofl

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 05/06/09 at 12:28:10

Ha ha.  It's not loud for me.  Of course the exhaust shoots a good bit behind me and the saddlebag deflects much of the sound for me.  Now, how loud it is for those behind me is a different story!  Actually, it's not too bad since the tube length deepens the sound a good bit.  I also added the butterfly which allows me to cut the exhaust sound in about half on the fly using a remote actuator.  Marshall, thanks for the kick butt info about my pipe length and power.  I'm gonna take a look at it soon and experiment like you mentioned.  

Scott, the lowest cost is probably finding a harley dyna or sportster pull off at a harley shop or a used bike shop.  I'd say free to maybe $20 is the average I've seen reported on here.  I've got some sportster mufflers laying around although one has been cut up out of pure curiosity!  Never tried the dyna mufflers but members say it's pretty much a direct bolt on whereas the sportster seems to need a simple bracket fab'd.  Also check the the sale section here.  Occasioanly members change aftermarket mufflers and sell theirs.  

IP Logged
Scott2020
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/06/09 at 12:42:51

Guys, thanks again to all that have replied.  

I have been looking through the old forums and see you guys mentioning the Harley Dyna a lot.  Ok, Ok, I know this next question will make everybody laugh, but ... What is a Harley Dyna pull off?  Is that my whole pipe or what?  I just unbolt my pipe & bolts the pulloff up? I have a Harley Shop about 5 miles from home, so that sounds like a good idea...   Sorry for the ignorance guys, believe it or not I did try to figure this out before I posted.    

I have also seen a lot of people talking about drilling the Baffle...  Any opinions on that route?

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #9 - 05/06/09 at 12:56:39

a "dyna pulloff" refers to just the muffler... an oem dynaglide muffler that comes stock on the bike... tons of folks that buy the hogs new want a throatier sound than the dyna muff provides, so they pay the dealer to install a "screaming eagle" or "stage 1" kit... that poor lowly original muffler just sits on a shelf, or gets tossed in the dumpster... you can find them at custom shops too... you need a 1 1/2 inch to 1 3/4 inch exhaust pipe adaptor(just a 2" long sleeve)... the dyna muff is lighter, sounds better, but isnt "loud" by any stretch of the imagination....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/06/09 at 13:30:51

not until you pop or drill out the baffle plate depending on how loud you want.

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/06/09 at 13:41:58

I installed a Dyna on my Savage a long time ago.  The brackets lined up and bolted to the Savage brackets.  The muffler fit onto the end of the Savage pipe, however the shoulder on the Savage pipe does not butt up against the mouth of the Dyna muffler like it does on the Savage muffler.  There will be 5/16" between the shoulder and the mouth of the Dyna muffler.  I needed and used the Harley muffler clamp that came with the Dyna.  The Savage heat shield fit right over everything.  I welded nothing and used no adapters.  I wanted it louder, so I used a 5/16"dia., 12" long drill bit and through the output of the muffler, drilled 2 holes in the baffle.  That gave me the sound I wanted.  I've had no problems with any of this, since it was installed.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #12 - 05/06/09 at 13:46:50

but why pay for a muffler, then modify it to sound like an open pipe? get a couple feet of stainless 1 3/4 pipe and a baffle for the same price, and save the weight... or carbon steel pipe and some exhaust paint.... check your local car speed shops, and all sorts of very low restriction mufflers are available with the right size inlet...id say if you can get a freebie dyna muff, then of course, do the baffle mutilation dance.... otherwise, if what you're buying isnt what you want, then buy something else... and ill bet if you check foreign car hi-po shops, you'll be able to find 37 mm inlet muffs that clamp on to the stock head pipe, no adaptor required....straight throughs, glasspacks, and baffled tube mufflers are usually super cheap, designed to take exhaust flows at least 3 times what this engine produces, and sound wicked on short systems....

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 05/06/09 at 15:45:38

Ok, here's another question about the Dyna muffs, since I'm looking to swap to one one of these days:  is there any particular year or cc size that works better than others, or are they all the same? Undecided  I've already heard to make sure to ask for one without the crossover (connecting the dual exhaust of a Harley).

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/06/09 at 16:37:44

Somewhere on this site this was explained in detail.  I supplied the part # off my Dyna and others gave the years and model of the right one to get.  Be careful about this...there are different variants of Harley mufflers and some have crossover holes to weld closed, and others have brackets that won't bolt right up to the Savage.  You want the one like I bought off Ebay, which required NO alteration and was a fairly simple bolt up.  I don't know what model/year Harley mine came off, but others on this site do.  And remember to get the Harley pipe clamp.  Members have complained that the Savage clamp doesn't work satisfactorily, and I also found that to be the case.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:31:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drilling the Packing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.