Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
one thing after another HELP!!! (Read 389 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: one thing after another HELP!!!
Reply #15 - 05/06/09 at 05:38:39

Someone got there ahead of me, but... If you don't have the service manual, either the Clymer or the official Suzuki manual, you shouldn't be fooling with your bike. It is yours and you can do as you please, but you are making trouble for yourself. By the way, posts are much easier to read if they are at least reasonably grammatically correct instead of written in lower-case Textese.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #16 - 05/06/09 at 08:07:05

i know, i admit i need to get the manual and relax lol but i just want to ride!

i figured to disconnect the battery after the first spark haha

and since i have 2 take the tank off how do i stop gas from spilling everywhere? is the savage vacuum operated? because the petcock on mine only has 4 words FUEL PRIME ON RESERVE so which do i set it or do i drain the tank?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
daveyboi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fresno, Ca
Reply #17 - 05/06/09 at 08:15:28

It is vacuum operated.  Just turn it to reserve and you're good to go.

Dave

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #18 - 05/06/09 at 08:25:34

sweeeeet! that's a relief! i was a little leery because it doesn't look like more then 4 bolts lol just expecting the worst again!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #19 - 05/06/09 at 09:57:11

Be careful when you disconnect the speedo cable when removing the tank.  There's a little o-ring in there.  I think many of us no longer have the stock o-ring cause we lost ours and replaced them. I usually wrap the end with masking tape to keep from loosing the o-ring.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/06/09 at 10:11:24

Ok Rocco. I have the clymer manuel posted in the tech section of this site. Go get it now. Also, if your lights come on and dont flash chances are that you have not grounded the ground wire. You should gournd it on metal. It happened to me with my rear signals. In fact I didnt ground it very well and now my left rear signal doesnt work but my brake light flashes just nice lol. I have to go back in tonight and tape my ground to the strut.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #21 - 05/06/09 at 11:11:19

just to let everyone in on a little known fact... most oem relays, solenoids, flashers, etc are super expensive.... that starter solenoid can be replaced with a ford one, a chrysler one, just about any starter sloenoid.... most relays can be replaced with lots cheaper replacements from radio-shack.... that oem nightmare flasher is just the way ugly cousin of that standard one that plugs into a cars fusebox.... only thing i caution about is that you should replace that oem flasher with an electronic flasher, not a thermal one... why?  it's located right below the gas tank... thermal flashers can literally fail by frying themselves cherry-red hot (very rare circumstance, but it can happen)... not so great an idea to have a heating element so close to a tank full of gas vapor, especially with all those vent lines in close proximity.... jc whitney even has one that plays "love me tender" while your flashers blink...lol my point is that those costly oem parts can usually be replaced with readily available, much less expensive, stock over the counter parts.... ive spent lots of time wrenching on equipment that parts just cant be found for, so have had to do such substitutions many time.... horn relays(momentary), fuel pump relays(continuous), alarm relays(timed delay, or activity), can all be used for other purposes....

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #22 - 05/06/09 at 12:19:11

i put her all back 2gether and the starter relay is a pain the behind! geeze i hope that thing never goes lol

she's all up and running, i haven't taken the tank off to replace the flasher yet...i can't find one under 50 bucks(shipping and handling included) so i was wondering if someone knew specifically what i could use instead......

do u have the name of what i could use? like a specific size? or volts or something? and an electronic instead of a thermal makes alot of sense!

on the bright side, i am now very intimate with BACKFIRE and i am know where almost everything goes electronic wise.....and since my blinkers don't blink yet i'll have 2 use hand signals for now  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 05/06/09 at 13:06:07

Pull your flasher unit. Its a 12 volt flasher. Its designed to make 2 bulbs flash. The same is true for a car unit. Take your flasher to an auto parts store & ask for a flasher that will plug into the same shaped plug, 12 volt.
Even IF you cant find on that plugs into the plug on the bike, you could cut the plug off & put some connectors on & hook it up. These things arent mysterious or magic. It just takes time to get familiar & start to understand how they work & comfortable with it all. Dont let your lack of familiarity scare you into spending $50.00 for a $3.00 part.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eyeore302000
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lexington, SC
Reply #24 - 05/06/09 at 20:26:42

rocco head down to your local auto parts store and you should find a flasher for about 4 bucks. Please take the advise of the other members and grab yourself a manual big time help.

suzuki oem flasher                               49.99
advance auto parts generic flasher          3.99
advice from members of this site  ** PRICELESS **

rubber side down brudder !! Cool

87 savage burgandy 2200 miles my first bobber project !! 2001 savage black 7000 miles !! 2004 savage purple 13,000 miles (my first savage) !! 2005 S40 7600 miles (my full dresser) !!
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #25 - 05/06/09 at 21:29:20

thank u guys!

i would be stupid not to save 47 bucks....and on a waiter's sallary i need all the help i can get!

i took the beast for a spin 2nite, rode for about an hour. got home around 12ish....there's a sonic down the street from my house and all the ricer yellow and orange with lights and folger cans for exhausts kids meet there on wednesdays....i pulled up 2 about 4 of them....mind u they all have body kits and custom paint, and for some reason they were looking @ my bike lol go figure

i missed letting loose, it's so awesome to cruise and not worry about pety things like gossip and ignorance....BIG SNIFF....ahhhhh freedom

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #26 - 05/07/09 at 11:40:16

rofl... keep those knees in the breeze, and your mind at ease, bro... save some dough and do a chain conversion, then make a wheelie set-up for the sonics crowd.... lol  all the plastic skin riders love stunters... so do their girls...rofl

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #27 - 05/07/09 at 20:42:25

lol yeah sad thing is my bike sounds way better then their cars! and it didn't cost me 20,000 bucks and a civic haha

when i drive my car now it feels like i'm soley just getting somewhere, like transportation is the only reason i'm in it

and now when i walk the dog @ night, i think of how nice it will be to thump around the dark!

2morrow i'm going to buy my turtle a new fish tank(he's wicked, has spikes and claws) and then i'm going to never dull the crap outta backfire for the first time, i can't w8 to see what all the rave is about(never dull that is)

oh, and i was thinking of setting up a ramp so i can fly into sonic, that'll get the ladies attention  Cool

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #28 - 05/07/09 at 22:30:18

just remember, from now on, pull the battery ground before you start pulling off electrical parts... shorting that solenoid long enough can cook the ignition box (used 90 bucks or so on ebay), the regulator (used about the same), or both... sometimes 5 minutes of prep saves 2 weeks of waiting for parts, and lots of gas money....

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 05/08/09 at 10:28:50

Probably just low on blinker fluid.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:23:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › one thing after another HELP!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.