Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: My first dirt...
Reply #15 - 05/05/09 at 18:49:20

You went down,... and you got up again....
That's aces in my book....
Congratulations!....
Serowbot

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Laurie Savage
YaBB Newbies

Keep The Dirty Side
Down

NW PA
Reply #16 - 05/08/09 at 09:56:37

[color=#ff9900]I cannot tell you all how appreciative I am for your advice! Thanks to all!!!  I just received an sweet leather Suzuki bag for the back of my seat. I am so glad i was able to get it it is awesome!!! and next to NEW!!       http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230338138337&ss...       On a different note, if anyone Smiley HAS NOT SEEN THE NEW STAR TREK MOVIE, I highly recommend it. It was one of the best movies I have seen as of late! [/color]

sonflowersweetie   IP Logged
Laurie Savage
YaBB Newbies

Keep The Dirty Side
Down

NW PA
Reply #17 - 05/16/09 at 21:23:36

Since my other Memphis Shades Hellcat bit the dust in the "incident" this is the one I replaced it with.

Laurie Savage
YaBB Newbies

Keep The Dirty Side
Down

NW PA
Reply #18 - 05/16/09 at 21:30:43

I added this too;

Laurie Savage
YaBB Newbies

Keep The Dirty Side
Down

NW PA
Reply #19 - 05/16/09 at 21:34:21

This was added just today

Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/17/09 at 10:58:07

Laurie Savage wrote on 05/08/09 at 09:56:37:
[color=#ff9900]I cannot tell you all how appreciative I am for your advice! Thanks to all!!!  I just received an sweet leather Suzuki bag for the back of my seat. I am so glad i was able to get it it is awesome!!! and next to NEW!!       http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230338138337&ss...       On a different note, if anyone Smiley HAS NOT SEEN THE NEW STAR TREK MOVIE, I highly recommend it. It was one of the best movies I have seen as of late! [/color]

If you are into great movies, I recommend "Australia"

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Laurie Savage
YaBB Newbies

Keep The Dirty Side
Down

NW PA
Reply #21 - 05/17/09 at 13:18:31

It's on the Netflix list, maybe for this week

sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #22 - 05/17/09 at 15:45:51

Laurie, sorry you went down.  Glad you will be ok.  Your bike is pretty!

Truthfully, I am confused as hell about this countersteering thing.  I think I ride more instinctively then technically.  Likely a bad thing.  Sad

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #23 - 05/17/09 at 19:26:54

honestly sockmonkeygirl u probably do countersteer and don't know it.....when asked people usually say it's easier to show then explain!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #24 - 05/17/09 at 22:01:29

sockmonkeygirl wrote on 05/17/09 at 15:45:51:
Truthfully, I am confused as hell about this countersteering thing.  I think I ride more instinctively than technically.

Here's a good description of countersteering:
http://genjac.com/BoomerBiker/Countersteering.htm

At speeds under 6 mph we turn the handlebars right to turn right.  At higher speed the bike reacts differently.  We all know that a motorcycle must be leaned over to turn.  Here's what happens every time at speeds over 6 mph:
1--Turn the handlebars right just a bit.  The bike starts to turn right.
2--Centrifugal force causes the bike to lean left almost immediately.
3--When leaning left a force (gyroscopic precession) causes the steering to turn left.  The bike turns left as it continues to lean left.
4--Turn the bars a bit left, centrifugal force stands the bike up, and the turn ends and it goes straight.

If I got all my lefts and rights in the correct order, here's the summary.  Push the bar's left side to turn left.  Push the bar's right side to turn right.  Try it.  Keep your body lined up on the bike...if the bike is leaning over 10°, your body is lined up and leaning an equal 10°, not offset to either side.  Ride in a safe spot and push on the right bar.  You'll lean right and turn right.  Push harder and you'll lean more and turn sharper.  Push harder, scrape a peg, and lean your body way into the turn to get the bike a bit upright off the scraping peg.  Try this--in a safe place, take your left hand off the bar.  Open your right hand so only your right palm is in contact with the twistgrip.  Push on your right palm.  The bike will turn right!

Now practice for an emergency.  As you're riding in a safe place, pick a spot on the pavement that you can dodge around.  A pebble, a tar mark, a leaf, anything that won't be a problem if you run over it.  Aim at the mark, then push the bars on one side, go around your mark, then push the bars the other way to straighten out.  Do this about 3,000 times so it is ingrained into muscle memory.  When you need to dodge something or straighten the bike out after a gust of a side wind, you'll countersteer the bars to straighten the bike.

Think of this...if a gust of wind pushes you to the left and the bike starts to steer left, which way to you turn the bars to straighten the bike?...You want to go right, and if you turn the bars right centrifugal force will make the bike lean more left and maybe you'll get thrown off.  Counter steer...push the bars on the right side (turn the bars left) to go right.  That's countersteering.  You're doing it now without knowing it.  The question is what you'll do in that emergency situation.

IP Logged
JaniceM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW PA
Reply #25 - 06/08/09 at 21:05:20

This place has really helped me.  I was so embarrassed to admit what has happened..now I know it isn't unusual!  My first day out, hubby rode the bike to a parking lot and began to have me walk it and some of the basic things the MSF course did.  What we didn't realize is that my new riding boots had more of a bubble toe, and the first time I went to shift, it got stuck and I went into a panic, knowing I couldn't get my foot down to stop, and I grabbed front brake too hard and went down.  The bike landed on me, and my knee and body were a mess for a week.
Lost my nerve until two weeks later.  Was up to doing turns, going through my neighborhood.  I had been OK for about an hour, when I was in my last turn coming toward home.  My coach/friend reminded me in each turn about looking where you want to go.  I rode a bike for 50 miles a day/3 times a week for years, and this concept made no sense (until now, after riding my bicycle again).  I saw a chipmunk coming out, looked toward it to keep an eye on it, next thing I know, the tree and curb are coming.  My lack of experience in swerving probably did me in..I went down, hard.  Lost a tooth and was hospitalized with bleeding and swelling of my brain.  All at less than 10 mph!  I believe helmets should be a choice--but the neurosurgeon said that helmet saved me from possibly dying, considering my injuries.  I'll never leave home without it again, just like American Express' old commercials!  
Got the turn signal fixed.  Had to rewire the one that was supposed to be 'oem'.  I'll have to read your boards about that one.  The mirror is a work in progress, but almost done.  It's OK, as I was nervous just sitting on it once I got cleared to ride.
I am finally feeling like I am ready to ride again.  I get motion sick as a passenger, and I watch hubby enjoying his ride--I can't wait to go with him, and neither can he!
I rode the bike home the day of my accident.  Except for the neck sting, whiplash, I didn't really think I was hurt that bad.
How have you guys gotten past it and went on to ride again?  One thing I think would help would be installing crash bars.  Despite its light weight, that darn thing can do a number when you end up under it!
My stomach goes into my throat just thinking about releasing the clutch and moving..although each day, it seems to get better.  MSF course had no opening until into July.  BTW--it is free here in PA if you are a resident--some states charge for this?  It seems some of you have mentioned saving to take it.
Thanks for reading this far==it's so great to have a place to feel understood!
Janice
got her used, 2007 with 48 original miles, white irridescent like pearl S40.  No modifications--yet.  Have some in mind!

Chaos...where great dreams begin.
2007 S40
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #26 - 06/08/09 at 22:16:10

The MSF course I took was fantastic.  If I hadn't taken it, I'd have probably wiped out by now.  And you're lucky to be able to take it free.  The state of Washington subsidizes a certain amount of classes each month in each area, and once those are full, you pay full price.  Subsidized are around $120 I think, non- are about $190 if I remember right.  Guess which I got? Sad  Still well worth the money in my opinion. Smiley

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #27 - 06/08/09 at 22:59:15

JaniceM....I think youre right on the highway bars/crash bars!

I had a bad fall on mine when I first got it(not as bad as yours though)

The bike fell on my leg when I went down,my leg was swollen really bad,with huge knots and bruised for over 3 weeks,hurt to walk.

I put highway bars on mine and was no longer concerned about falling....and havent since,but I know the whole weight of the MC wouldnt fall on me like it did before,so that made me less afraid to learn to ride it.

(Just my thoughts on it) Plus taking the MSF course.
More people have fallen at least when learning than you think Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #28 - 06/08/09 at 23:13:30

Laurie, Your bike is pretty!

I love all the stuff you added to it!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 06/08/09 at 23:40:02

If you feel wary of falling down,... that's normal.  If you feel terrified,... don't ride.

I've been down several times, and there is a recovery period.  September I was t-boned by a pick-up truck, and had flashbacks at intersections for months.
Almost gone now.
But,... I also buy and sell bikes, and have occasionally refused to sell to people that I've seen truly fearful on a bike.  It's not something you have to do.  If you feel it's not right for you, just stop.  If you feel certain, that if something goes wrong, you'll go down, be hurt, or killed,... don't push or be pushed into anything.  
I ride,.. I've ridden for many years, and I've been down enough to know better.  It will happen if you ride....
But I can't swim... I've tried, but it just don't work for me.  Water is not for me.  No rational reason, but it just ain't right for me.  If everything in says no,... listen,...

Otherwise, take care, and be safe,...
and your bike is pretty,
and very orange...

And please,... don't ever call my bike pretty,...  I have my pride... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:17:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My first dirt...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.