Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine Noise (Read 175 times)
EPAs40
Ex Member

Engine Noise
05/05/09 at 09:21:13

Hello everyone,

I am new tothis forum and any support is greatly appreciated. Well I have a 2008 s40 with about 3000 miles. This weekend I was on the freeway doing about 90mph when it suddenly started deceleratring on it's own, it got down to about 60mph and after a few seconds I was able to bring it back up to about 75mph.  The engine now makes a wierd thumping noise. Anybody have the slightest cle what it might be?

-Erick

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Engine Noise
Reply #1 - 05/05/09 at 09:35:47

Regarding the sudden power loss, I'm wondering you were getting close to needing reserve and it gulped some air for a moment or maybe a little piece of trash got caught in the main jet and then broke loose.  About the noise, not too sure.  A small hole in the top of the piston might do that but I figure you'd have a few more symptoms to go with it.  Common sense says to look for simpler things, especially so since it's a new bike.   A muffler starting to come loose at the header joint might give you a little noise that might accentuate the bike's normal engine noise.  Also, when something strange happens to our bikes, we sometimes become more attuned to noises and discover sounds we really didn't hear before cause we are paying more attention.  

« Last Edit: 05/05/09 at 11:39:43 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #2 - 05/05/09 at 10:37:54

thumping how? does it sound like metal hitting metal? a bat hitting a couch cushion? does it run normally now, or does it feel weird? get a vibration with the thump? is it rythmic, or random?is it at all rev ranges? only when moving? all gears?...lol what im getting at is details are required for long distance troubleshooting....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/05/09 at 11:30:32

How long were you at "full grin"?

Is this "thump" more like a knock?

Possible reason for the sudden silence is the petcock.  If the vac line is cracked, loose, leaking, at WOT the vacuume is low.  With a leak the petcock will shut off and you'll run out of gas with a full tank.

Possible reasons for "thump" as we all know, a puckered anus will improve your hearing.  Stock bikes are notoriously lean, prolonged run at "full grin" may burn a piston depending on how bad it is.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/05/09 at 11:44:36

a puckered anus will improve your hearing.

OHH Boy & How!

I'd pull the oil fill plug & run it. If there is a hole in the piston then combustion should make for quite an event with that plug out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/05/09 at 11:55:20

Just one note of caution with running it w/o the fill plug, don't stand in front of it.  There's plenty of air moving in and out of the crankcase due to the piston going up and down.  There's also a lot of oil being thrown around.  Some of it will shoot out.

I doubt that you have a hole in your piston.

And with the filler open, normal engine noise will be louder.  Since you most likely haven't heard the caucaphony yet, don't be extremely alarmed.

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/05/09 at 17:03:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/05/09 at 11:44:36:
a puckered anus will improve your hearing.

OHH Boy & How!

I'd pull the oil fill plug & run it. If there is a hole in the piston then combustion should make for quite an event with that plug out.

Pulling the oil plug and running it will make some frightening noise from air rushing in and out of the hole.
Just you hope that no smoke comes out. Smoke would indicate a holed piston, or broken rings.

Phelonius
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/06/09 at 00:15:39

Note, He said SMOKE, not an oil mist, which can happen with all the air moving back & forth.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #8 - 05/06/09 at 02:01:02

I doubt a single with a holed piston would make a lot of noise, or smoke, or oil mist. It would be very silent.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 05/06/09 at 03:26:08

Scuffed piston, just one person's ignorant guess which is all we can make at this stage of things.  This from the "averaged" answer for the "mysterious thump noises that leave the bike running".

Solution -- first do not tell the dealership any details about what you were doing -- just clam up.   Don't lie to them, just shut up on the details.

Take it in for warranty service.  Make sure you have them check the fluids and such to verify the oil level is correct in the sight glass, etc.

(you did make sure you have the right amount of oil, right?)

Document everything -- you are liable to have some sort of dispute with them so disputes go to the one with the best records, generally speaking.

Good luck -- going 90 mph on a thumper is stretching things a bit that early in the bike's life.  Still, you were past the break in period and still under warranty, so it is their issue to fix.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
aliassmith

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/06/09 at 09:24:47

SV og LS wrote on 05/06/09 at 02:01:02:
I doubt a single with a holed piston would make a lot of noise, or smoke, or oil mist. It would be very silent.

Pinhole can still let it run but it will get rapidly larger.

Aliassmith

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:41:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.