Send Topic Print
Am I going overboard? (Read 449 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Am I going overboard?
Reply #15 - 05/05/09 at 19:43:02

Just to add another reason to never substitute an American/SAE thread tap/die (or nut/bolt or anything else for that matter) for a metric:

Besides all the other differences, the actual shape of the threads are different in that metric threads have a slight flat surface in the valley and on top of the peaks. American/SAE threads do not have the flat, and actually have a sharp pointed thread. Having that sharp thread can sometimes make the bolt feel like it is going to hold in the other type of threads; until it is subjected to some force; then it strips the threads out on its way out of the hole. Usually ruining the bolt and/or hole on the way out.

Moral of the story: Your "NAPA" guy IS a TOOL, but he doesn't know beans about them.  Wink

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 07/11/09 at 20:13:00

marshall13 wrote on 05/04/09 at 21:44:09:
... aif the holes look funky, chuck a nylon rifle cleaning brush in a 3/8 inch drill, use some oil, wear safety glasses...lol  for those bolts a 6 mm or .25 caliber NYLON, not brass or stainless, bore brush... they cost like 3 bucks... they come all the way up to 1/2 inch (12 mm), and down to 5mm or so...have sunglasses handy, as the ultra clean, shiny threads have a hypnotic effect

Marshall,

That is a good tip....works like a charm.  I was able to clean gunk out of the screw holes that was still in there from the factory.

I didn't use a drill, I just screwed the bore brush in and back out by hand.

I ran a rethreading tap into the bolt holes, also.

Thanks for the tip!

Thank you!   Cool

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/12/09 at 02:56:12

I was taught, correctly or not, that torque figures were for perfect oiled threads and that never seize compounds were close enough to oil to substitute.  I'd love that confirmed!  

Doesn't take much.  Machines drowning in never seize are less fun.  

Like most of my equipment, I figure my bike will come apart and go back together beautifully by the time I get rid of it!!!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 07/12/09 at 03:22:33

5 GOLD STARS for this thread.

Exellent info guys ... thank you for your expertise.  Understanding what is happening and why something should or should not be done, how to do it correctly, and what to use is just superbly useful and very interesting .   The practical side is we all save time, frustration, and in the long run even $$$$.

Thank you for your time and effort to help the rest of the gang.

Time to go out and buy a set of nylon gun brushes and anti-seize stuff.

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/12/09 at 05:22:57

OK.  I'll add something.

At one bizarre point in my life I had a job disassembling cars and blueprinting them.  Someone would have a favorite car and want to keep it.  Some I took down to the bare body, had repainted, blueprinted the engine, best brake lines, and so on. First class.  This was really less work than you'd think with air tools and so on.  I'd use a dip tank for cleaning, neutralize & dry everything.  New fastners where there was corrosion.  

Everything went back with a torque wrench and neverseize.

Years later, one of these cars came up for sale with only 150,000 miles after the rebuild.  No idea how many miles on the basic carcass - probably 400,000 miles.  I'd had the interior custom done at the rebuild time, and covers went on.

You could still eat off the engine, barely tell it was idling by looking.  

And every single thing I had to work on came apart absolutely effortlessly.  Nothing was every stuck on that car.  EZ working.

Of course, my ex eventually splattered it.

Neverseize works. And works.  And works.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 07/15/09 at 20:53:37

I made a small mod to my bore brush to make it easier to turn:

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 07/15/09 at 21:04:17

voldigicam wrote on 07/12/09 at 02:56:12:
I was taught, correctly or not, that torque figures were for perfect oiled threads and that never seize compounds were close enough to oil to substitute.  I'd love that confirmed!  

Doesn't take much.  Machines drowning in never seize are less fun.  

Like most of my equipment, I figure my bike will come apart and go back together beautifully by the time I get rid of it!!!

FWIW....

I've got my Savage (see signature) torn apart right now and recently spent way too much time online researching the torque reduction I should be using for the particular type of anti-seize I'm using, Permatex Anti-Seize.

As you can imagine, there are many variables, methodologies, and engineering "fudge factors" involved. I even got sucked into a long, involved discussion (with some awesome links to source data, BTW) on a BMW motorcycle forum (those guys take anality to a level never approached on this board).

Bottom line, for my flavor of anti-seize (it makes a difference, BTW), if the spec calls for dry threads, I use 80% of the torque spec. If there is a range of dry-thread torques specified in the spec, I take the the minimum torque specified or 80% of the maximum torque specified, whichever is lowest.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:29:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Am I going overboard?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.