Send Topic Print
Handle bar length (Read 138 times)
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Handle bar length
05/03/09 at 13:18:27

I like the shape of the handlebars that I put on the bike 2 years ago but would like just a bit longer length. (wouldn't we all)
My solution was to get on the lathe and turn a couple of 3.5 inch slugs of steel so that two inches of it fit tightly into the inside of the bars, and the outer end was bores about 3/8 inch deep at the same diameter to accept the chrome plastic end cap. The outer inch or so was turned to match the outside of the bars.
I could have just JB welded the slugs into place and been done with it, but why di it the easy way when I can make it complicated? I bored the center to take a 5/16ths thread at the inner end, the balony sliced it off. Then bored the outer end one size bigger than 5/16ths and recessed a hole for the head of an allen screw.
Now with the slug inside the bar, the allen screw is tightened and the baloney sliced taper tightens inside the bar so that it cannot come back out without loosening the screw. Then the chrome cap is pressed back on and the grips moved to match. Ditto the controls.
End result is two more inches of leverage for sidecar steering and as a side benifit, my mirrors are now one inch further out on each side for a bigger view behind me.  Win Win situation.
I would show photos but they are already mounted and unless I make another pair, they are not visable.
BTW they work well as bar end weights to smooth out handlebar vibes.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Handle bar length
Reply #1 - 05/03/09 at 14:12:50

My Savage/Cozy rig has what some would call beach bars on it. They are wider and flatter than the buckhorns that are stock. I really like them except I catch more wind with the rather flat HD style shield rather than the fairing on the solo bike. I think they are 35" or so across the ends. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/04/09 at 09:48:24

I remember those beach bars from when Dr. Jim had it.
They are wider than even I like. I haven't measured, but I think mine with extensions are about 32".

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 05/05/09 at 03:44:35

The bars I have are 34.5" of straight bar on 3" risers.
Clive  Smiley

IP Logged
Flemming from Denmark
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/05/09 at 13:50:19

Mine is a 90cm (aprox 36") on stock risers and fit's my body perfect (short legs and long arms Smiley ) It looked very wide in the shop, but when mounted I think it looks good

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/05/09 at 14:50:46

As I said, I would try to post photos of the devices.
When assembled and inserted into the bar, the allen is tightened to lock it in place. The aluminum end cap and the device are mated with a 1/8th inch roll pin so that the end cap does not come off the way the standard plastic one did.
The standard ones are designed for one use only, and never are secure on re-use. Ask me how I found out.

Phelonius
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 05/05/09 at 15:00:18

Wow, Flemming, looks like you've got a piece of hang glider frame for a handlebar.   Exactly how long are your arms?

BTW, did you shorten your upper belt guard?  Bike looks nice.

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #7 - 05/05/09 at 15:22:43

You do some fine machining I must say.  I like your front fender too.  I am guessing I am not alone in thinking your whole bike needs to be shown.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/05/09 at 16:54:32

prsavage wrote on 05/05/09 at 15:22:43:
You do some fine machining I must say.  I like your front fender too.  I am guessing I am not alone in thinking your whole bike needs to be shown.

It's raining like a sumbich right now. I will take a fresh photo when the sun shines and the bike is clean.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Flemming from Denmark
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/06/09 at 10:23:12

Grin My arm is 73cm, rather normal I guess (mesured my jacket) And I know the handlebar looks wide, but sitting on the bike it don't feels so wide. The stock buckhorn mounted when I bought it  was not good to my bag and shoulders. My upper belt guard? - Hmmmm - Never noticed that before now ( my collection of savage pic's only contains about 2000 pic's  Smiley ) But you're right - it must have been shortened in some way, but it's not me who had done it. The edge is very nice where it's cut, no rust or sharp edges. Maybe it have been chromed after the cut.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 02:53:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handle bar length

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.