Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
FREAKED OUT about cam chain and tensioner!!! (Read 573 times)
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: FREAKED OUT about cam chain and tensioner!!!
Reply #15 - 05/04/09 at 05:06:47

verslagen1 wrote on 05/03/09 at 20:10:27:
NewThumperGuy wrote on 05/03/09 at 17:21:09:
Can someone hook me up with one of these?

http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/BPcover3.jpg

Verslagen thanks for the link. Maybe I could get u to slip one of these in with the verslavy????

Sure if I can find it.  will let you know.

Thanks Verslagen, just came across it in tech section thought it would make another nice addition.  Wink

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #16 - 05/04/09 at 05:22:22

verslagen1 wrote on 05/03/09 at 17:02:30:

Wow, just looked at site. $65+ shipping on a $14 dollar gasket!!!!!   Roll EyesAsked about other options and a better quote, see what they come back with.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #17 - 05/04/09 at 05:48:22

Are you saying they are asking $65 for a clutch cover gasket?  If so, you read something wrong or they got some wrong info showing on their website.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 05/04/09 at 07:18:58

It's your canadian address, customs and insurance and the labor to get it all done.

WWW   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #19 - 05/04/09 at 07:24:04

$14 at Westfieldsuzuki.com
$17.50 at bikebandit.com

I've been told that finding a U.S. vendor willing to send the parts via U.S. Postal Service (no customs clearance cost) can be a problem, and that parts send via UPS incur a hefty (maybe unnecessary) customs clearance cost.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #20 - 05/04/09 at 09:21:36

Had stuff shipped from the US both ways. Post is the way to go!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #21 - 05/04/09 at 09:46:25

diamond jim wrote on 05/04/09 at 05:48:22:
Are you saying they are asking $65 for a clutch cover gasket?  If so, you read something wrong or they got some wrong info showing on their website.  

Jim, thanks but can read just fine. Probably my wording was a little confusing. Gasket was listed @ $14 but shipping for it (USPS) was going to be $65+ alone.

Still have not received a message back with other options.
Aiming for postal service if they'll swing it!
Better look aroung locally while I wait.
Going to be close to a "stealership" tomorrow, what do you think the odds are of them having one in stock?  Roll Eyes

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 05/04/09 at 10:29:00

Prolly not good odds that they have one in stock, but they should be able to order it for you no problem.  I usually place my order thru my dealer on say a Monday and they'll have whatever I need on a Thursday.  Skid shipping that way and most of the smaller parts are the same price online (gaskets and bolts and nuts).  I usually source out most of the bigger parts I need thru Ron Ayers or similar other places/websites.

-Matt

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #23 - 05/04/09 at 11:12:37

Thx Matt, and you were right none in stock but got him to get it added to the shipment and he says will be there tomorrow late morn when I roll in. $18.48 Canadian, had him toss a couple oil filters on top of the order so I have on hand when needed.

Thx again to all. I will update and possibly add a couple pics when I pull the cover and investigate.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #24 - 05/04/09 at 12:01:34

NewThumperGuy wrote on 05/04/09 at 09:46:25:
diamond jim wrote on 05/04/09 at 05:48:22:

Jim, thanks but can read just fine. Probably my wording was a little confusing. Gasket was listed @ $14 but shipping for it (USPS) was going to be $65+ alone.

Still have not received a message back with other options.
Aiming for postal service if they'll swing it!
Better look aroung locally while I wait.
Going to be close to a "stealership" tomorrow, what do you think the odds are of them having one in stock?  Roll Eyes

Ok, I see now.  Wow.  I'm not familiar with that international shipping stuff.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #25 - 08/07/09 at 10:32:53

Update, 12000 miles, Tensioner 14.5 mm (1st check). Mobil1 15W50 after breakin. Clutchcover came off so smooth that I re-used the gasket which stayed on the cover. Just slackened the adjuster on the handle bar clutchlever, slipped out the clutch-cable so I did not have to undo it at lever on the cover. Exhaust chrome at head like new (no blue-ing which is an indication of too lean a mixture)

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 08/07/09 at 10:51:23

I just walked into a bike shop & they punched a few buttons & cut the gasket out. They werent  a Suzuki shop, just an independent, but its a computer controlled gasket maker. $14.00, no freight, no wait.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #27 - 08/07/09 at 10:55:52

Many online dealers really stick it to Canadian buyers and 99% of the time their shipping charges are crap. I was going to buy a Trapp from an East coast dealer until he told me shipping to my Canadian address was going to cost $75 US - USPS. I told the guy to keep it. I went with another dealer in California. Got the muffler for $40 less and shipping was only $32.00 - USPS air.

As we speak there's an ebay dealer who wants $60 for a set of friction plates and $60 to mail them to a US or Canadian address. The dealer's in Connecticut. He could probably stick them in a padded envelope and drop them in a mail box for $5 including the cost of the envelope.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 08/07/09 at 11:29:03

Having done it a few times, I can tell you shipping international is no picnic.  I sweat out every international shipment.
So by doubling the price of shipping, he's including some money for his time.  And telling you he doesn't want to do it.  Especially on an expensive item that needs insurance.

Find a friend on the border that can receive for you.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #29 - 08/07/09 at 16:42:52

I think that most places giving high shipping rates for parts like gaskets may be sticking it to the buyer. Canadian Post is a good system and  pretty cheap for first class mail. I have a lot of experience receiving parcels from Canada, and looking at the stamp, shipping rates seem to be around $US15 to $20.00 for a 2-3 pound box via Express Mail. Now, through ebay I've only shipped to Canada a couple of times and even a camera lens was around $20 (depends of course what part of Canada.) Buyers receive them fast enough also. It only requires a few minutes of my time to fill out the proper paperwork which I keep right here in my home office. Add $5 for my time and the 4 block walk to the post office.

When my Son was attending University in Glasgow, Scotland, I shipped stuff to him all the time. I remember sending him a pretty heavy full length wool coat in a pretty big box. It was only $40, and that was from the States across the pond.

What you're shipping would depend on how much you sweat I guess. An expensive part is more of a headache, and of course if the seller is a legit company here in the States, they would have to be honest about the contents IE: pax taxes customs charges for the contents, but, that's something the buyer has to pay, not the seller. Most companies will not do the "personal gift" thing.

There are countries/continents that I will not ship to. A few examples would be anywhere in Central America, Asia, Eastern Europe or the Middle East. Actually, there are only a few of them that I will ship to.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:28:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › FREAKED OUT about cam chain and tensioner!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.