Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ok here's a couple of stupid ?'s (Read 326 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
ok here's a couple of stupid ?'s
05/02/09 at 16:30:25

i'm sure there will be more where these came from!!

explain 2 me what makes a "bobber chopper" is it the forks?

has anyone heard of a "jigser" i believe it's the gsx-r but i hear some say it, then others look @ me like i'm even more special then i already am lol

and is "shovelhead" an engine? harley right? i see the friggin sticker all over and i hate posing so i'd like 2 clarify...and for the record i don't want a sticker...backfire suits me just fine ahaha

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: ok here's a couple of stupid ?'s
Reply #1 - 05/02/09 at 16:36:00

A shovel head is a type of Harley engine. It get's the name because the head looks like a shovel, same as the knucklehead.

Historically, the term bobber chopper comes from when folks would "chop" things off the bike that they felt were superfluous. Same as bobbing. Later, the term Chopper began to describe bikes with long raked forks because they would chop up the frame to add rake to the neck. Bobber, pretty much stayed the same as meaning they bobbed the extra crap off of it to make the bike lighter.

If I am wrong, someone will sure correct me.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/02/09 at 16:41:04

Bingo!....

Shovelhead, panhead, knucklehead........
I think I'd call the Savage a Blockhead.... Huh ... Buckethead?....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 05/02/09 at 16:42:24

ooooooo!!!! ok, that makes sense! i like rat bikes, and i've seen flat black bikes in the photo gallery....i think maybe a little red pinstriping would be pretty sweet!

thanks for clearing that up! i'm still confused about the jigser thing though! haha

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 05/02/09 at 16:45:34

i like the sound of block head!!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 05/02/09 at 16:51:53

Shovel head

Knuckle head

Pan head

Blockhead  Grin

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/02/09 at 17:18:12

Chromatically challanged
Baldhead
Wrinkle head
al fresco head.... hmmm, like that one.

cerabelum al fresco.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 05/02/09 at 17:24:13

is that yours with the black and blue tank? that thing is gorgeous! i'm asking cuz on the bottom of your post it says red 98

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/02/09 at 18:31:26

gixxer      ---A suzuki sport bike, series GSXR. Includes the GSXR-600, GSXR-750, GSXR-1000, GSXR-1100, and the Ultimate GSXR-1300 also referred to as Hayabusa.

gixxer      --- a blur; known to Yami & Huhnda owners as "a godlike motorcycle"
"my azz just got waxed by a "Gixxer"..  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 05/02/09 at 19:27:41

ok, that makes alot of sense! they are very very nice bikes! and i assume they're not the same engines as the savage.....what other bikes have the little thumper in them?

my friend calls it a weedwacker on wheels ahaha

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/02/09 at 19:48:15

KLR 650 has a thumper, Buell Blast has a thumper, 250 marauder has a thumper, JAWA thumperrs, BSA thumpers I am sure there are tons more.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #11 - 05/03/09 at 09:44:33

sorry kids, blockhead is already spoke for... first gen harley evo's.... "jixxer" does indeed mean gsxr, and no, not nearly the same engine... they carry dual ohc 4 bangers, liquid cooled, these days fuel injected... a "bobber" is one of those "every excess gram pared off" choppers, ie: no front fender, turn signals, rear seat, passenger pegs, very often no front brake, a cut as far as you dare rear fender, sportster tank, usually a side mount plate and tail-light... solo jockey seat is the norm... if you check craigslist in miami, you'll also see 70s vintage japanese streetbikes for sale as "bobbers", though in these cases what you'll see is just a butchered kz750 twin for the most part... a "chopper" dates back to the late 40s... during ww2, many of the aviation mechanics and pilots rode bikes as their "issue transportation", especially in the pacific theater... the mechanics used alot of the high-performance techniques that gave aero engines all that power on the bikes... bumped up compression, bigger valves, welded up and reground cams, etc.... made those issue harley 45s much more powerful... once they got home, and they still wanted to ride, they discovered that most civillian auto/bike production had ceased in '42... thus, tons of older bikes, no new ones (cars too)... so, using the techniques learned in repairing airframes and engines, they modified the available bikes into "customs"... cars had the same techniques used on them, particularly lowering of the roof line "chopping", and lowering of the body on the frame rails "channeling".... the custom bikes were called "choppers" to distinguish them from stock bikes.... this phrase passed on to the earliest issue helicopter in korea, that "mash"-vintage bell whirlybird, because the closest resemblance to it could be found in the stripped out bikes of the ww2 aviators.... harley's various engine models are described by head style since very early on... skipping the "total loss" oilers, and various very early models(suction valve, twin valve, j models, etc), you have flatheads(45, 60, 74, and 80 cubic inch), knuckleheads(60 and 74 cubic inch, overhead valves, mechanical lifters), panheads (a few 60s, vast majority 74s, ohv, hydraulic lifters), shovel heads (74s mostly, the odd late 80 incher, ohv, hydraulic lifters, improved oiling system), blockheads are the early evos, and the current generation of engine is the "twin cam"..... i skipped the sporties and k-models....lol
edit: forgot to mention that flats, knucks, and pans also had "thumper" versions... just 1 jug.... not seen very often....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/03/09 at 10:01:35

Rocco wrote on 05/02/09 at 17:24:13:
is that yours with the black and blue tank? that thing is gorgeous! i'm asking cuz on the bottom of your post it says red 98

No, it's in the gallery, needed a pic of a naked head.

http://suzukisavage.com/gallery/RNichols1.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 05/03/09 at 13:44:17

There is a some dispute over when a single-cylinder motorcycle  becomes a "thumper." As far as I know no one calls a two-stroke a thumper, regardless of displacement. I don't think anyone calls a 50 cc a thumper, nor a 125 cc. Some call 250 cc singles thumpers. More accept the 350 cc as a thumper, I think especially the 350 Ducatis. I believe 500 cc singles and up are always considered thumpers. The name probably derives from the "thump - thump - thump" sound made by singles at relatively low RPM.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #14 - 05/03/09 at 14:29:06

marshall13=are u a motorcycle historian?! thanks for all the info, very indepth!

and i love the sound of thumpers...inline fours are just too "not raw" if that makes any sense!

and i was wondering who's bike that is because it's gorgeous!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:18:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ok here's a couple of stupid ?'s

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.