Send Topic Print
left-middle-right (Read 152 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

left-middle-right
05/02/09 at 13:19:47

Undecidedwhen i am by myself on the open rode i ride middle and right but going thru towns or cars parked on right i ride left. how do you ride? Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: left-middle-right
Reply #1 - 05/02/09 at 13:34:17

Middle and left; unless passing a semi. Then it's farthest side of the lane I'm passing in, so I can avoid wind, gators, debris, etc.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 05/02/09 at 13:41:58

Two lane roads, Left  tire track.   Almost never the right tire track.   I live in PA, and that's were most of the pot-holes are.  Never, never in the center as that is were most of the oil droplets go from cars & trucks.

On four lane roads,  If in the fast lane, the right tire tack so that the slow lane traffic can see me in their side mirrors.   In the slow lane, left tire track so that the fast lane traffic can see me in thier right side mirror.

In more than four lane, then I move from right tire track to left tire track depending on where the cagers are.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/02/09 at 13:47:05

In the spot that's safest, then most visible, then comfortable, then convienent, then fastest.  except when the devil makes me do it.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 05/02/09 at 14:23:09

i just completed day 2 of my msf safety course..did anyone know that motorcycles are allowed in the HOV lane whenever! even if it's just u on the bike....i'm sure it's country wide...but def down here in florida where the world's best drivers collide....i mean come 2gether  Wink

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 05/02/09 at 15:03:37

Yes, it is federal law that allows it though NY hates the idea and will still give a biker a ticket for it. The AMA is not happy with New York for that.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 05/02/09 at 15:16:00

Rocco wrote on 05/02/09 at 14:23:09:
i just completed day 2 of my msf safety course..did anyone know that motorcycles are allowed in the HOV lane whenever! even if it's just u on the bike....i'm sure it's country wide...but def down here in florida where the world's best drivers collide....i mean come 2gether  Wink

They're allowed in Washington and Oregon too.  I also just found out they're allowed in the bus lane on the on ramp, at least some of them, even says so on the signs: "Buses only-motorcycles ok". Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/02/09 at 16:11:09

Riding in Phoenix in the summer time is not so much where as when.
I ride I-17 north south through town, about 20 min each way.  Midnight to about noon you get a firm bite going either way. Afternoons till about midnight the roads are slippery with the oils baked out of the asphalt by the AZ sun. I have blistered my feet in street shoes, waiting for a light to change. Riding in the heat can cause heatstroke, and if you go down you Fry!
102 today...and we are just getting started.

JohnBoy

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #8 - 05/02/09 at 16:13:47

JohnBoy wrote on 05/02/09 at 16:11:09:
Riding in Phoenix in the summer time is not so much where as when.
I ride I-17 north south through town, about 20 min each way.  Midnight to about noon you get a firm bite going either way. Afternoons till about midnight the roads are slippery with the oils baked out of the asphalt by the AZ sun. I have blistered my feet in street shoes, waiting for a light to change. Riding in the heat can cause heatstroke, and if you go down you Fry!
102 today...and we are just getting started.

JohnBoy

I used to live in Phoenix when I was a kid, and I still remember those Phoenix summers. New Mexico summers almost if not just as bad.

IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #9 - 05/02/09 at 18:11:28

The way I see it I own the real estate between the yellow and the white lines and I'll use the part I like best.  I generally ride left of center so I can see them coming and they (hopefully) can see me coming too.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 05/02/09 at 19:00:53

You definitely want to ride left of center, and don't follow to close to traffic in front, hang back so oncoming traffic can see you, otherwise they try to turn left after what they think is a gap between cars.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #11 - 05/02/09 at 19:35:14

What's a HOV lane?  Carpool?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #12 - 05/02/09 at 19:49:48

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 05/02/09 at 19:35:14:
What's a HOV lane?  Carpool?

HOV = High Occupancy Vehicle aka Carpool

IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #13 - 05/03/09 at 05:13:35

Well I change my position in the lane I'm in quite a bit.  I've been riding for well over a decade now but since I'm active duty military and I had to take the motorcycle saftey course before I could ride on post.  And that opened my eyes quite a bit as far as saftey and shifting your lane position is a really good way to get all the cagers to see you better.  If you just find one spot and stay in it you'll blend in but if you move around in your lane you can move out of a blind spot and into someone's vision.  Just a little food for thought.

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:25:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › left-middle-right

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.