Send Topic Print
Drive belt squeek (Read 69 times)
PaulB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Drive belt squeek
05/02/09 at 06:46:01

Had my first ride in the rain yesterday on my new 07 S40. 100 feet  into the ride the belt started making a squeeking noise exactly like a bad fanbelt in a car, worse when I was on the throttle, less when I let off the throttle, and gone with the clutch pulled in. For 10 minutes the roads dried out and the noise went away, and it is gone on this dry mornings ride. I presume it is the belt, sure sounded like it. Is this a common occurrence, is it always going to happen in the rain or does it eventually wear in and stop, and most importantly does it indicate a problem I should have looked into by the dealer. 250 miles on the bike.

thank you,

Paul

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Re: Drive belt squeek
Reply #1 - 05/02/09 at 08:13:28

well, its still under warranty, i would bring it in and have them check the belt alignment. mine did that too until i adjust the rear wheel and centered the belt. the squeal is coming from the belt rubbing on the lip of the sprocket. (in most cases) do a visual and see if its rubbing. if it is then the edge is probably shiny and glazed....

congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forums!!

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #2 - 05/02/09 at 08:31:13

The rear wheel alignment is the biggest offender. Most folks on here say to throw the belt tension gauge away. Adjust the belt until you can twist it 90 degrees. I had a bad squeak as well. I loosened the belt a little and adjusted the rear wheel until the belt ran centered. A little parafin on the belt edge helps as well. Have been squeak free since.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 05/02/09 at 09:34:15

I rub bees wax on the belt edges as required. The squeek gets especially bad in the rain.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:19:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive belt squeek

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.