Send Topic Print
my new bike (Read 280 times)
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: my new bike
Reply #15 - 05/01/09 at 10:48:31

Some get 100mph I've been to 80mph with a bit of room to spare. The pucker factor has limited me from going any faster. I've done 70mph for 1.5 hrs on the freeway comfortably, except for my butt that is.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/01/09 at 12:00:23

so why does the stator cover get SOOO hot? and also, what should the fuel switch be on while i ride the bike? it only starts when on PRI. should i be riding on the ON or the RES setting/?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #17 - 05/01/09 at 12:06:23

On and Res (reserve) are vacuum operated, which means fuel will not flow unless engine is running. PRI = Prime It allows fuel to flow without vacuum but if you run it like that you will have no reserve. It is used for filling the carb bowl after carb work or if you have let the bike sit awhile and the fuel has evaporated out of the bowl.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/01/09 at 12:11:40

COOL, THANKS. SO IS IT BAD THOUGH TO RIDE IT ON PRI? THATS THE ONLY WAY IT STARTS LOL. THIS JUST MEANS THAT I WONT HAVE ANY RES? RIGHT. ALSO I AM RESTORING A BUNCH OF THINGS. ANY IDEAS AS TO A WEBSITE I CAN GET NEW GRIPS AND OTHER SMALL ITEMS TO SPRUCE IT UP A BIT?

IP Logged
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/01/09 at 12:17:07

again, sorrry, but my front brake is leaking fluid. any ideas of how to fix this?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #20 - 05/01/09 at 12:26:22

You can run it on prime but remember to turn it back to on when you kill the bike. But if you can start it on prime, what happens if you switch it back to on after you start it?

Where is the leak?

IP Logged
1988savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/01/09 at 12:28:42

it is coming from the front caliper, i havent tried to change it to on while it is running yet

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #22 - 05/01/09 at 12:29:54

Check the bleeder valve, it may just not be tight enough.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 05/02/09 at 13:20:10

Standard oil temperature in a Savage can reach 200-250 degrees F, so the covers can get a significant portion of that temperature.

If you spit on it and it sizzles, then it is overheated.   Don't worry about it until then.  I bet your side cover isn't really that hot, that you can put your bare hand on it and it will seem warm to hot, but not burn you.  That's normal.

If you are concerned about temperature per se, use a synthetic oil in 5w40 to 10w40 to 20w50 weight.   Just make sure it says "Full Synthetic" to get the maximum temperature protection available.

I use a synthetic simply to be immune to temperature issues -- synthetics are good up into the 300-400 degree range before they cook out on you.

Full synthetic oils are cheap GOOD insurance against temperature issues.

=============

Guy, I sent you a PM asking if you wanted me to drive up this weekend.  Or I thought I sent it -- maybe the mailer daemons got it and ate its electrons as a late night snack.

=============

Do you younsters know about the mailer daemons?  Linux based servers on the internet use them to munch your emails if you break the rules in sending the stuff.  

If you aggravate the mailer or script daemons bad enough, they reach out through your computer screen late at night and grab your hands and start to pull you into their realm so they can eat your face.  It's not a good way to go, believe me.  

There is a whole lot of feet kicking, bleeding and muffled screaming involved.   Upsets your pets while it is going on, too.   Avoid it if you can, Ok?

Now you will know what you are dealing with when you get those various daemon type notices -- remember, do whatever they tell you to and don't piss them off.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:20:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › my new bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.