Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2001 savage wont start. alternator maybe?? (Read 88 times)
Christopher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2001 savage wont start. alternator maybe??
04/30/09 at 17:30:18

so earlier i posted a topic about  my 01' savage that was kept on parking which drained the battery and wouldn't start. so i bought a new battery, worked great for about a week... now it gives me the same problem. when i press the ignition it just makes a clicking noise. i jump started and ran good for about a hour. after the ride i tried starting the bike and i hear the click but wont start. i checked all the fuses and wires underneath the seat and they are all good. im guessing the alternator has gone bad.. what do u guys think. anyone know a good place to buy a alternator??

im going to charge my new battery overnight and see if it will work tomorrow. last time with my old battery it started like twice and then stopped..
link to previous post -- http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1240427935/1#1

IP Logged
Christopher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 2001 savage wont start. alternator maybe??
Reply #1 - 04/30/09 at 18:28:12

it might also be the could be the stator or rectifer. idk @#$%

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 04/30/09 at 19:11:49

Before you start trying to buy a new one on a guess, I would certainly test the old one.  You can buy a digital multimeter for about ten bucks at walmart.  

Test the battery with the engine off.  As I recall, a nice healthy battery will read around 12.5 volts.  Then start the engine.  It should charge around 13.5 to 15 volts, I think.  Someone will correct me if those numbers are off.

It's a cheap, easy test.  Way easier than changing your alternator.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/30/09 at 20:08:55

Sound advice indeed.  One of the biggest mistakes people make is to blindly replace parts on the basis of other people's guess.  Sandy is dead on...buy  a volt/ohm meter and learn how to use it.  You will save a lot of wasted parts $ and learn how to diagnose rather than replace.  If you don't know how to use the meter, search the 'net for how-to instructions.  The time you spend doing this will save you much more time than guessing and replacing.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #4 - 04/30/09 at 21:23:41

place the meter on Volts, positive to red an negative to black. realistically you should see about 13.5 running. and 12.5 not running. your battery will probably read 4 cause its dead so jump it and see if your volts are up.
the bike does not charge a dead battery while driving (like a car) which is why it wont start after you jump it, so youll have to charge it with a trickle charger or some kind of battery charger (since its still new)

so does anyone know how to check the rectifier output?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/30/09 at 22:53:55

According to the Suzuki Factory Shop Manual, the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier cannot be accurately tested unless you use Suzuki's "Special Pocket Tester # 09900-25002."  Suzuki states that the VR/Rectifier specs they give, will not correspond to the readings of a regular Volt/Ohm meter.  Perhaps someone knows how to convert Suzuki's Pocket Tester readings to conventional Volt/Ohm meter readings?

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/01/09 at 01:29:09

I'd bet it's a regular voltmeter with some calibrated load (resistor) tied in parallel. It makes some sense when you meter AC directly between phases of the alternator. Or DC rectifier output with battery off the hook.
But it makes no sense to be anything specially special (this construction sounds awful  Huh )

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 05/01/09 at 06:14:34

One other thing, Christopher...

When you shut the bike down at night, make sure you aren't turning the key to the "park" setting.  This leaves only the tail light on, and allows you to pull the key and walk away.  I happen to know that this is an easy mistake to make when you are still kind of new to the bike.

Someone told me so.  Uh huh.  That's how I know it. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:36:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2001 savage wont start. alternator maybe??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.