Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Concerning my carb problems ( update) (Read 236 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

Concerning my carb problems ( update)
04/30/09 at 15:46:41

By now you all should be sick of my vm carb problems. I know I am. The latest problem is that I am blowing black smoke at ilde. Could be a rich mixture or burning oil. I dropped to a 22.5 pilot and I took her for another run. Turned her off at my destination. Started her back up a few minutes later and the idle went up super duper high that I had to shut her down. After trying a few times and playing with the  idle screw she would not start again. She did once and idled a little high, played with air amd idle, throttled and she died. The question now is. With all the problems I have been having and the money I have put into her at the shop. Should I just buy a new VM carb and start over, or keep trying on this one?

« Last Edit: 05/01/09 at 15:48:21 by odvelasc »  
  IP Logged
DavetheDog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richmond, VA
Re: Concerning my carb problems
Reply #1 - 04/30/09 at 16:10:10

That's not really a yes or no question. But I think no you shouldn't get a new one and yes you should keep trying. as long as there is nothing seriously wrong with it then all you gotta do is just figure out the tune and make sure all the parts are functioning correctly

IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #2 - 04/30/09 at 16:40:59

Possibly and air leak around the boots in and out maybe sucking too much air, or a jet stuck?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/30/09 at 17:04:15

Burning oil is a blue/gray color smoke,... black is fuel,..you're too rich....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/30/09 at 17:43:43

speedingman wrote on 04/30/09 at 16:40:59:
Possibly and air leak around the boots in and out maybe sucking too much air, or a jet stuck?

yeah the boot does not connect quite well at the box. Shop dude said that I need to get a new carb boot that extends all the way to the box and connects perfectly.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/30/09 at 17:58:57

anyways, am charging the battery, dropped in a 15 pilot from a 22.5, set the needle to the highest setting (sitting lower into the carb), charging the battery and I hope that I have not flooded the engine. Try to start her up again tomorrow. I know she runs, and she runs well at the middle setting on the dial a jet. Its idle that seems to the female dog.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 05/01/09 at 06:41:51

odvelasc wrote on 04/30/09 at 17:58:57:
anyways, am charging the battery, dropped in a 15 pilot from a 22.5, set the needle to the highest setting (sitting lower into the carb), charging the battery and I hope that I have not flooded the engine. Try to start her up again tomorrow. I know she runs, and she runs well at the middle setting on the dial a jet. Its idle that seems to the female dog.

You are going in the right direction, however you should also check the needle and needle jet part numbers to see what they are.  Those can make a huge difference in the fuel flow and can make it unusable for the Savage if they are not the correct ones for our bikes needs.

The parts for a standard 36mm VM:

needle  #6FJ6
neeedle jet #159 Q-5
air jet #BS30/97 2.0  (tiny one in the filter intake side...in the bell)

38mm VM

needle #6DP1
needle jet #166 Q-2
air jet #BS30/97 0.5

It is cheaper to get the correct jets/needles than buy a new carb.  A VM carb is a simple design and parts are a cheap as you can get where various carbs are concerned.  There are more parts available for the VM's than any other carb in the world.  It is and has been THE MOST USED performance carburetor in the world for over 40 years.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/01/09 at 10:56:33

LANCER wrote on 05/01/09 at 06:41:51:
odvelasc wrote on 04/30/09 at 17:58:57:

You are going in the right direction, however you should also check the needle and needle jet part numbers to see what they are.  Those can make a huge difference in the fuel flow and can make it unusable for the Savage if they are not the correct ones for our bikes needs.

The parts for a standard 36mm VM:

needle  #6FJ6
neeedle jet #159 Q-5
air jet #BS30/97 2.0  (tiny one in the filter intake side...in the bell)

38mm VM

needle #6DP1
needle jet #166 Q-2
air jet #BS30/97 0.5

It is cheaper to get the correct jets/needles than buy a new carb.  A VM carb is a simple design and parts are a cheap as you can get where various carbs are concerned.  There are more parts available for the VM's than any other carb in the world.  It is and has been THE MOST USED performance carburetor in the world for over 40 years.

The needle jet and needle have been replaced by the shop, so has the emulsion tube. The needs was not the right taper. I can idle now, but a little rich, and it seems superbly high after restarting when warm.  I will check out air jet. Should I go up or down if I am rich?

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Re: Concerning my carb problems ( update)
Reply #8 - 05/01/09 at 15:49:57

Sooo, I throw on the stock petcock in the meantime because of the flodding problems. Everything seems pretty good now. Got her somewhat tuned with the 15 pilot jet. Still a bit of black smoke out the back end when a fellow savage rider comes over and starts admiring. Suggests that my idle is still too rich (the obvious lol) Well he suggested dropping to a 12.5 pilot (which I did not know I could get) and perhaps a less restrictive muffler (mine is soooo loud already lol). I am dropping in the 12.5 and see how it goes. So far the idle is not bad, hangs up a bit but comes back good. The black smoke at idle reduced as I rode along. Will definitely enrichen the dial jet a bit. Was getting some minor pops lol.  If the 12.5 does not work than a K&N or cheaper version it is. Chance encounter with Metri gave me a bit more hope. Thanks for the info Metri.

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #9 - 05/01/09 at 17:50:16

Lonn at thunder products told me not to go below a 15 pilot. And it seems that flooding problems would be fixed by replacing the float shut off valve.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 05/01/09 at 18:20:15

Yep, Lonn is rather insistent about not going smaller than a #15 pilot.  It still too rich then drilling the hole larger in the top of the needle jet is the way to lean the low range mix.  On my own carb I would use a tiny needle point diamond mini-file instead of a drill bit in order to enlarge the hole for doing the last part of the fine tune.  It was quick and easy and worked out quite well.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/01/09 at 20:13:31

seviersavage wrote on 05/01/09 at 17:50:16:
Lonn at thunder products told me not to go below a 15 pilot. And it seems that flooding problems would be fixed by replacing the float shut off valve.
Seviersavage

Float shut off valve? Replace how? In terms of bledding out. I did that, however the shop were I brought in the carb replaced the needle jet with a significantly shorter one than the stock.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #12 - 05/02/09 at 04:54:27

I am sorry but I have not followed your full trail in detail.  If you are having rich issues on the low end have you ruled out

1. a leaking float valve/seat?
2. float with a gas in it
3. float set too high (low when carb tipped over)

Your comment about the raptor petcock leaving gas on the floor in the off position would indicate you don't have a great seal on your float valve/seat.

WWW   IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/02/09 at 05:11:40

smokin_blue wrote on 05/02/09 at 04:54:27:
I am sorry but I have not followed your full trail in detail.  If you are having rich issues on the low end have you ruled out

1. a leaking float valve/seat?
2. float with a gas in it
3. float set too high (low when carb tipped over)

Your comment about the raptor petcock leaving gas on the floor in the off position would indicate you don't have a great seal on your float valve/seat.

So then a rebuild kit is needed?

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/02/09 at 05:12:47

LANCER wrote on 05/01/09 at 18:20:15:
Yep, Lonn is rather insistent about not going smaller than a #15 pilot.  It still too rich then drilling the hole larger in the top of the needle jet is the way to lean the low range mix.  On my own carb I would use a tiny needle point diamond mini-file instead of a drill bit in order to enlarge the hole for doing the last part of the fine tune.  It was quick and easy and worked out quite well.

I am wondering why he insists on not going below a 15? What do you think the issues may be?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:24:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Concerning my carb problems ( update)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.