Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
highway bars and a crazy idea. (Read 320 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: highway bars and a crazy idea.
Reply #15 - 04/30/09 at 18:28:00

diamond jim wrote on 04/30/09 at 17:37:50:
Or something like this.  Maybe extend the front bar out on each side (which this older pic doesn't show) so the highway pegs are a little wider than the stockers.  
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh128/russ_diamond_jim/FChighwaybars-2.jpg

Precisely!  I knew I'd seen a pic of that idea somewhere before.  I was thinking curve them up, to place them above the stockers, but to the sides would be good also.  If you used steel, you could just throw a couple bend in to move 'em out a little.  I know, steel's heavy, but with the 2 cross bars, it might stiffen things up enough to let you get away with some thinner steel?  Dunno; wish I still worked in a steel shop, couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a couple tons of scrap plate, I could experiment to my heart's content.  .105 all the way up to .750 for making up to 12' dia. pipe.  Yes, twelve FEET! Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #16 - 05/01/09 at 07:59:08

I could be wrong but looking at my forward controls it looks like that another cross brace would interfere with the shifter and rear brake pedal. Am I wrong? or just not looking at it correctly?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #17 - 05/01/09 at 08:06:10

It might.  LIke John_D said, some angles or width would be needed to get the clearance.  There isn't a whole lot of room to play with there.  But I think a design like that would be a good starting point for supporting a custom highway bar and looking decent.

IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #18 - 05/01/09 at 08:11:04

Yeah I totally agree! There really isn't a whole lot of room to play with not only with the shifting in braking in the way and what not but unless you extend your forks there is not a lot of room between the existing cross brace and the wheel. Hmmmm.....

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #19 - 05/01/09 at 08:17:24

any of the ideas above sound better then doing a wheelie with your feet in the air....gotta love the sport bike stunt crowd.....i was told by a friend of mine who is a police officer that cruiser type bikes are less prone 2 being stopped without reason then a lime green jigser with shiney japanese writing on it lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #20 - 05/01/09 at 19:15:31

Does anyone know the OD of the frame tube offhand?
I found these on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-1-4-CLAMP-ON-ISO-HIGHWAY-BAR-PEGS-FOR-HARLEY...
They seem to have a nice balance of price v. install work.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #21 - 05/02/09 at 02:28:28

Nice set of pegs, but you'd have to have something to attach them to, and that is where i'm starting. The frame tubes are too far in to make those worth having. They wouldn't protrude far enough out to make them useful. Too expensive for what I'm wanting to accomplish this for money wise anyway, but they are nice.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:28:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › highway bars and a crazy idea.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.