Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
highway bars and a crazy idea. (Read 320 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
highway bars and a crazy idea.
04/29/09 at 23:03:03

OK, look at the image below.

Now the crazy part. After doing Diamond Jim's seat mod, I've been wanting to install highway bars, cause for some reason I just don't want to get off the bike now. Smiley
Being cheap, I'm looking at these and thinking that they look just like handlebars. MC or bicycle handlebars can be had pretty cheap, especially at 2nd hand shops, Goodwill, etc. Any reason a set of handlebars couldn't be fastened to the down tube, just prior to the bifurcation? To this I could fasten some pegs, after trimming down any excess tubing that extended beyond the bike frame. (I don't want to have something on it that wouldn't fold up in case of a laydown.) I don't need it to be super stong. Just sturdy enough to have a place to put my feet on long rides. Do any of you have experience with this kind of thing?
If this works, I may have to get a bigger tank. Roll Eyes

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: highway bars and a crazy idea.
Reply #1 - 04/30/09 at 00:24:49

Jay wrote on 04/29/09 at 23:03:03:
OK, look at the image below.

http://www.cyclepartsusa.com/store/images/detailed_img/d_25605.jpg

Now the crazy part. After doing Diamond Jim's seat mod, I've been wanting to install highway bars, cause for some reason I just don't want to get off the bike now. Smiley
Being cheap, I'm looking at these and thinking that they look just like handlebars. MC or bicycle handlebars can be had pretty cheap, especially at 2nd hand shops, Goodwill, etc. Any reason a set of handlebars couldn't be fastened to the down tube, just prior to the bifurcation? To this I could fasten some pegs, after trimming down any excess tubing that extended beyond the bike frame. (I don't want to have something on it that wouldn't fold up in case of a laydown.) I don't need it to be super stong. Just sturdy enough to have a place to put my feet on long rides. Do any of you have experience with this kind of thing?
If this works, I may have to get a bigger tank. Roll Eyes

I would imagine anything made out of bicycle handlebars would be at least as sturdy as the ones in the pic.  Doesn't look like there's all that much to them.  I've been toying with the idea of just making my own, but if you make this work, I'd definitely be interested!
Oh, who makes these, by the way?

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/30/09 at 00:31:45

Ive seen some pretty cool looking bars that could go across & hold feet up nicely in the gym. Might be able to pick one up easy enough, as long as its not loaded to heavily.
Seriously, the "pull Down" bars  often have a drop in them. I dont kow how theyd work, its been years since i was in a gym & cant remember exactly what they look like, but maybe?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #3 - 04/30/09 at 02:23:51

John_D,
I honestly don't know. I Googled "Moustache highway bars", and this was the best pic of what I was tallking about.
I'm seriously going to look into this. If I can find a way to mount folding pegs to the bar, that would be so sweet; but that's the deal breaker. I initially considered just putting thick grips on the bar for foot pegs; but then rethought my position. I hate to think what might happen if I do have a laydown, and I've got several inches of metal bar to dig into the pavement. Shocked
My luck they wouldn't just bend under the weight, and fold over. Sad

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 04/30/09 at 02:31:06

I haven't paid enough attention to highway pegs to know if anyone makes one that would slip/clamp onto a horizontal bar like that.  If the vertical ones like I always see are the only style available, you could just mount a little vertical stub on the end, to clamp the pegs to. The problem with welding anything on, you lose the chrome, and rechroming would run into more money, so anything that could be clamped or bolted would be better.  Or maybe you could find something like this that would slip into the I.D. of the pipe you use for a crosspiece, secure it with a roll pin or something, and just bold any pegs to it then. Undecided  Lots of options, depending on what ya got on hand I guess.

I did come across these, http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=0&Category_ID=6&manufac... look like they'd bolt onto just about anything.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/30/09 at 02:49:26

Looks nice, but also looks $$$ Sad
I gonna try to do this recession like, and true to my inner nature, and go cheap. If it succeeds, I'm king of the world!  Cool
If it fails, then my wife will say "Another crackpot idea. You shoulda went with the aftermarket bars." Sad

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 04/30/09 at 03:15:44

The full brackets and all were pricey, but just the peg adapters (1st pic) ran around $20.  Then you'd just pay whatever for a pair of pegs to go on them.  Probably better methods, but that's what I came up with on the spur of the moment.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/30/09 at 03:28:19

John_D FSO wrote on 04/30/09 at 03:15:44:
The full brackets and all were pricey, but just the peg adapters (1st pic) ran around $20.  Then you'd just pay whatever for a pair of pegs to go on them.  Probably better methods, but that's what I came up with on the spur of the moment.

I could do $20. Might just look into that after I rummage around the 2nd hand stores and Lowes. Definately bolt on. I don't weld, not about to start; and not about to pay unless I absolutely have to.

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #8 - 04/30/09 at 04:29:51

If you know anyone who does any milling or machining (I don't), you could probably whip something similar up outta a chunk of aluminum or something.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 04/30/09 at 04:54:16

Jay, the handlebar idea is a great idea.  Maybe some BMX or dirtbike bars that have the extra cross brace may offer more mounting/support options.  For those with a set of Ed L.'s forward controls, the forward controls cross brace my be a point of lower support for a handlebar as a highway bar mod.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 04/30/09 at 07:25:19

Why not attach it to the lower tree?
Put pedals on it and it could be foot controls.
and a back rest so you can lean back and chillax.

WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/30/09 at 08:57:29

diamond jim,
Your idea intigues me. Definately want to look into that.

verslagen1,
Your idea leaves me a little disturbed. Kidding right? Smiley

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #12 - 04/30/09 at 09:06:27

You know I actaully thought about modding something to that cross brace on the forward controls. I don't think it would be all that difficult to attatch some type of highway pegs to it, but the problem is making it look decent.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 04/30/09 at 15:33:36

bluesavage218 wrote on 04/30/09 at 09:06:27:
You know I actaully thought about modding something to that cross brace on the forward controls. I don't think it would be all that difficult to attatch some type of highway pegs to it, but the problem is making it look decent.

That idea had crossed my mind too: what if you extended the plate forward, and up, to use the same plate for f/c, and highway pegs.  These are what gave me the idea:
You could either do it all in one piece, or as something that bolts on in addition to Ed.L's controls, I would think.  Whadda ya smart people think? Undecided

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 04/30/09 at 17:37:50

Or something like this.  Maybe extend the front bar out on each side (which this older pic doesn't show) so the highway pegs are a little wider than the stockers.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:26:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › highway bars and a crazy idea.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.