Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
dies in 5th gear (Read 408 times)
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: dies in 5th gear
Reply #30 - 04/30/09 at 18:43:51

man i hope i got it i remember a 2 months ago it got stuck i pulled it out no probs till like a month and a half ago....well it's happened twice in 1 1/2 month or so....i live near the beach and it never gets below 50 in the winter thats a freeze for us and wind usually 15 - 20 mph, so i guess alot of sand alot of tar=dirty components

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 04/30/09 at 18:46:25

i've also heard that ls650 side stand kill switches are notorious for having problems i wonder if thats true

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 04/30/09 at 19:18:41

just disable it briefly to see. Pull the two wires that connect to the kickstand switch for some slack, cut them, strip a bit of the tubing off of them and twist them together. Wrap with electrical tape. Ride around a while with it like that and see if that doesnt do it. If you do keep having the problem you can go ahead and reconnect the switch. If the switch is your problem you can go and fix it or just leave it disabled. With the switch disabled just be sure to shift into neutral after you start before letting out the clutch unless you're prepared. After disabling my switch for Ed L's controls I let the clutch out and caught the bike about 6 inches from the pavement after it lurched forward. I wasnt prepared.

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 05/01/09 at 03:22:27

will do thanx that is a good ideal

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 05/01/09 at 03:23:51

the relay won't make it stop in gear if i do that????

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 05/01/09 at 07:33:19

texsam wrote on 04/30/09 at 12:13:41:
okay i think mines a cali model it's got 2 breather  hoses going from carb to sitting on bottom of tank, i cleaned my kickstand safety switch with wd40 hoping that'll solve it if not i might check the connection down there and see if the vent hoses are blocked

All models have these vents from the carb, doesn't go to the tank, but sticks up into the frame just catch drippings when flying inverted.

WWW   IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 05/01/09 at 12:08:43

right on that makes sense. so far since i cleaned that safety switch it hasn't gave me any problems but if it does again i think i'll disconrct it and  like i was told earlier see if that helps thank you all fol the advise i'd be lost if i didn't have this forum IT ROCKS Cool

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 05/01/09 at 14:09:31

do you mean pull it by kickstand or where the 2 pin connector is under seat

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 05/01/09 at 18:03:39

today i used a ohm meter to check resistance but the clymers manual i had was not very descriptive so i don't think i got an accurate measurment

IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 05/01/09 at 18:06:12

so now i guess i'l cut those wires and twist em up and wrap em with elec tape today it happened but iwas going slow in like 2nd or 3rd so i think it was my fault

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #40 - 05/01/09 at 19:55:03

Don't cut the wires unless you are a real good solderer.  

Take a paper clip and short out the connector under the seat.  Make sure you wrap it good with electrical tape.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 05/02/09 at 06:41:39

i got 2 questions how do i check the switch to see if its working?,and second do i gotta remove the whole ss assembly to get to ss switch?, i would rather not short it.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #42 - 05/02/09 at 14:18:11

Why not short it? Thats exactly what the switch does when it is closed. A switch is either open ( infinite resistance) or closed ( zero resistance). When we by[pass the switch, we eliminate the possibility of dirty contacts failing to offer zero resistance. Short it. Its not gonna hurt anything.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:14:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dies in 5th gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.