Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First day with S40, first post, first problem (Read 233 times)
PaulB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First day with S40, first post, first problem
04/28/09 at 14:18:31

Just took delivery of a new 07. Fiddling around, getting used to the thing...and I took off the toolkit cover. After half an hour trying to get the thing back on, I see that not only is it fussy about getting everything lined up just so, but when it is back in place and locked, it fails to align perfectly with the battery box. Is there always a gap betwen the metal toolbox cover and what seems like a plastic piece the top pivots into (two tabs on the cover align with two slots on the plastic piece), as well as a less than water tight fit between the cover and the battery box itself. Normal, or is something wrong with mine.

thanks,

Paul

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Re: First day with S40, first post, first problem
Reply #1 - 04/28/09 at 14:47:35

i have an 07 also, great bike. yes the tool cover is a pain. you will be glad you found this sight, read all the posts. have fun ridding

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 04/28/09 at 14:56:48

I never had much trouble getting it on or off, but it most certainly is NOT water tight.  A fairly large gap.  So either it's normal, or there's something wrong with both of ours! Cheesy
Congrats on the new bike; you'll love it, and this sight also, tons of useful info here.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 04/28/09 at 15:44:12

Welcome to the site. I've had my S40 for a year and have never regretted the purchase. It's a great bike, but like everything, it has its quirks. This site does a great job of covering what you need to know about the S40. I haven't come across a more freindy or more informative site yet.

I got tired of screwing with the mickey mouse tools & box so I got saddlebags & started getting decent tools for the bike.

Enjoy the bike and be safe

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Scottler

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saratoga County, NY
Reply #4 - 04/28/09 at 15:59:14

I've got a '99 Savage (the name before the S40 was re-branded), and my toolbox cover is also a PITA.  Getting it off isn't an issue, but getting everything lined up to turn the key to lock it sucks.

Enjoy your new ride.  It's a fantastic bike.  This site is a Godsend, as well.

Be safe.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 04/28/09 at 16:40:34

My advice is to remove that cover and use it for an ashtray or a coaster on the coffee table or something.  At least then you will know where it is all the time.  I have three savages and two of the toolbox covers are lost.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 04/28/09 at 16:52:59

have replaced the lil rubber slide on tool cover gasket on my bought new 06..
dont know what i ever did with the oem toy kit that was in there..now that space carries my registration and two spare 20 amp fuses (in a zip lok baggie)..
bought a cruztoolz metric set that i carry in the luggage rack backbag  along with other various items.duct tape, bailing wire,tye wraps,elect tape,rachet and sockets,$1 space blanket,fire starter,$1 pauncho,lighter,small led flash light...

I almost used that space to install the amp for my sound system..it would of fit but didnt want to lace the various wires up to the bars...

good stash spot!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/28/09 at 17:21:44

Some small vacuum tubing sliced with an X-Acto  slipped onto the edge of the tool box cover & secured with some contact cement( you may need to scuff where the glue goes, dont have to do the entire length) & help out a bit. I had to adjust the tab the lock engages to make it easier to get it back on.

Yea, its an imperfect fit. The bike isnt put together with close tolerance but it runs fine & is a hoot to ride. Ive never had anyone point to my toolbox cover & say it was crooked. Theres too much good about the bike to worry about such a minor offense. Hey! Its still got metal fenders! Aint life Grand?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/28/09 at 19:08:43

When I dropped off the bike at the shop last friday  there was a fellow with an old Jawa thumper. He loved the savage. He loved how simple it its. He says if suzi did away with the batter and added a kickstart, starting would be no problem at all, and less complications as well. He couldnt stop gawking at the bike. I was very flattered. He was obviously a thumperfan. So, yeah the toolbox cover is a bit of a pain, but you will get used to it. It took me 20 mins to get it back once as well lol.

IP Logged
PaulB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/29/09 at 05:02:00

Thanks all, great site. I bent the little tab where the key lock goes a bit, and that made things slide on easier  - still looks a little Mickey mouse to me, but if that is the worst thing about the bike, I can live with that. Does anyone make a nice aftermarket aluminum battery box/toolkit cover to replace the whole shebang?

thanks again,

paul

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #10 - 04/29/09 at 05:16:16

The dealer that I bought my bike from dealt with the SAME issue on the day I picked up my bike. He said about how it'd be a good spot to put my temporary registration information (in a sealed bag of course) and took the cover off... He spent the next 10 minutes trying to get it back on correctly.

Nobody makes a replacement that I'm aware of to replace the battery box that accomodates for a new toolkit spot... A few members have moved their batteries entirely (saddlebag, up under the seat more, etc)... I removed my airbox, went with a cone filter off the carb and removed the battery box and stuff entirely. I plan on moving the battery into the saddlebag and having that whole area on the bike being open.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #11 - 04/29/09 at 05:23:00

I used to keep my registration and insurance card in there too, until I heard a few people talk about the cover coming off occasionally.  I carry 'em in my wallet now, they don't take up that much room. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
scooterdewd
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 04/29/09 at 05:29:31

I have an 07 as well and fought with that stupid little rubber gasket on the toolkit cover till I gave up and threw it away. It's not like it's watertight either way, now my voltage regulator is in the toolkit instead of the crappy tools......

IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 04/29/09 at 17:28:11

got an '08, battery cover gasket I agree is a pain in the arse!

Trying to winterize the thing last December, spent more time trying to re-fit and re-align the gasket (which doesn't even weather-seal) than I did removing the seat plus side covers plus battery.  Ha

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 04/29/09 at 17:38:26

I glued that rubber thingy with super glue,Now I don't have the trouble putting the cover back on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:29:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First day with S40, first post, first problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.