Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
what would be the best oil in the summer heat...?? (Read 533 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: what would be the best oil in the summer heat.
Reply #15 - 04/28/09 at 16:49:37

I use Castrol Syntech 10w-40.  My clutch is starting to slip at 10,000 miles.  I wish I knew if the oil was causing it or not, because otherwise, I'm happy with the oil.  No "energy conserving" or "friction modifying" stuff written on the little circle on the back of the jug.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #16 - 04/28/09 at 16:58:10

10/40 amsoil in my 06 for 13K..
nay a problem to date
have a oil temp gauge highest ive seen is 60 deg F above ambient at 100 f

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 04/29/09 at 15:23:26

I always think it is entertaining when the oil threads start. Lots of people make lots of recommendations, and lots of people rhapsodize ecstatic about all sorts of wonder oils. It seems to me that the people who make the machine might just possibly know a little about the subject, too. The oils recommended by the machine makers are undoubtedly adequate to the task. Oils "more than adequate" are unlikely to be much of an improvement, just as higher octane fuels are unlikely to run any better. It's your money, and your motorcycle, and you are free to spend as much money as you like. But it is unlikely to matter.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #18 - 04/29/09 at 17:58:45

But higher octane gasoline is not better gasoline; it is harder to ignite, exactly what one wants to prevent preignition.

Better oils do exist and really do a better job over the long run.  Yes, the engine engineers know lubes.  That does not mean that what is published is the best lube for the job, and more likely means that it is the lowest acceptable lube for the job.  Would Suzuki prefer to sell their branded oil, their parts & dealership labor, or a new Suzuki motorcycle, or recommend an oil that will make their engine live for a very, very long time?

Not pertinent to small engines like motorcycle engines...It is clear that better quality oil and lab analysis of the oil to determine the maximum safe life of the oil saves money in oil, filters, labor costs, and engine wear, and sometimes a couple'a percentage points in fuel savings.  I've documented that in large engines.  Of course, the analysis cost is greater than the oil & filter for a small engine, so it doesn't pay, but the principles are the same.  I use a $5 synthetic blend oil in my car & truck engines with 10,000 mile oil & filter changes, and the engines are extremely clean with lab reports saying that the oil is good for even longer.  I count on the lab reports for the engines I've run including the 2700 hp generator engines with 600 gallon oil sumps and the 57,500 hp propulsion diesel engine with a 30 tons of oil in its sump.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #19 - 05/15/09 at 17:36:10

Arthur wrote on 04/27/09 at 22:18:59:
I will PM Kwak Nut and see if he cares to respond to your comments on his material, which I quoted.  It would be interesting to see what he has to say, considering his experience in the oil business.
Actually, PTRider knows his stuff.

I simplified a few of my comments for the benefit of the general reader, and he has filled in the gaps in those areas.  The overall tenor of his post doesn't really differ from what I say, which comes down to: synthetics are best!

He's absolutely right, for example, on his concern over the shear stability of viscosity improvers.  They are a 'vulnerable' big spiral molecule which is no substitute for the inherent flat viscosity index of a synthetic, and serve really just to get some mineral oils through industry tests which help with marketing.

As for the W ratings, yes they are Cold Crank Simulator tested at different temperatures, but what it equates to for you and I is how thick they are at, roughly, water freezing temp.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #20 - 05/15/09 at 23:45:22

"what would be the best oil in the summer heat...??"

The oil that's easy to find, doesn't break the bank, has no energy conserving label, that will be changed (along with filter) on a frequent basis, that doesn't start a heated oil war that gets hotter than our engines in the summer at a 5 minute stop light!
Seriously, there's a great deal of good info here. Make that great info here; but it's easier to talk relegion and politics than oil.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
lokjaw777
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/16/09 at 03:41:50

i only brought the subject up bcuz the only mc shop is at least an hour from my house compared to a wal-mart and advance just 10min away...it's a 2002 with just over 15,000

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 05/16/09 at 04:23:50

In this oh so polite oil discussion, has anyone mentioned the need for flat tappet and cam profile protection from the old style Zinc Phosphorus (ZDP or ZDDP) additive packages?

Our motors are of an old traditional design type and require special additives to prevent spauling or gauling of the cam tappet followers.  These are the older type additive packages that used to be found a decent concentrations in all motor oils from all vendors.  You didn't have to hunt for it because it was in all motor oils.

ZDDP (modern name for same stuff) keeps your cam chain from stretching/wearing out as fast and it keeps your valve clearance from wearing a bunch of slop by eating a concave portion into the tappet follower from gauling/spauling.   Both of these items are "bad things" in a Savage motor.   THERE IS NO modern replacement package for these ZDDP additives -- anything effective enough is "energy saving", wears the death star and will cause clutch slippage in your motor.

ZDDP was a very effective additive package that has been removed to a VERY large degree from all car oils because it has been found to harm the Type 2 catalytic converters found on modern cars.   That's a shame, because you do need it in your Savage's oil and it simply isn't there in car oils any more.  

BTW, they don't tell you it is missing as the oil they sell is poorer because of the missing package that they had to take out because of the cat converter issues.

Take joy in the fact that the ZDDP additive packages are still available in certain expensive motorcycle oils -- namely the Mobil 1 V-Twin Harley oil series and in the very highest level racing oils sold for enthusiast's hopped up car engines.  Unfortunately these oils cost $10 a quart and are not available everywhere by a long shot.

If you want ZDDP in good concentration levels in an oil that can be bought anywhere, buy the "intended for use in a diesel engine" Rotella T dino oil with the triple protection label as mentioned earlier by Charon.  This oil has been tested by Shell and passes all the JSO series tests for motorcycle wet clutch engines and it has a very strong following of motorcycle enthusiasts who keep an eye on it at BOBISTHEOILGUY with all those endless oil analysis, ect.

My personal favorite is the synthetic Shell Rotella T which keeps an odd rating of 5w40 because it doesn't get thick when it gets cold.  It also doesn't get thin when it gets hot and it can take elevated temperatures higher than a savage engine can achieve without breaking down to any noticeable degree.

Oil is a bit of personal preference thing, but when you tear your top end apart to replace a stretched out cam chain and you notice all the concave spaulling on your tappet followers -- then you will say to yourself ....

"Durn, after I spend the $160 for these here replacement parts maybe I'll give that Rotella diesel oil a try to see if I can avoid this nonsense next time."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #23 - 05/16/09 at 13:44:10

lokjaw777 wrote on 05/16/09 at 03:41:50:
i only brought the subject up bcuz the only mc shop is at least an hour from my house compared to a wal-mart and advance just 10min away...it's a 2002 with just over 15,000

As Oldfeller is suggesting, a dual-rated diesel & gasoline engine oil.  15W-40 conventional is excellent.  5W-40 synthetic is better.  I prefer Conoco/Phillips/76/Kendal over Shell Rotella-T.  Chevron Delo 400 is fine.  Mobil Delvac 1300S is fine.  Your choice.  All are very good.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #24 - 05/16/09 at 20:00:35

lokjaw777 wrote on 05/16/09 at 03:41:50:

Aww, I wasn't tryin to bust yer chops  lokjaw777; I wuz tryin' to be funny. (Note to self, quit trying to be funny!) Embarrassed
I went with Oldfeller's advice and started using Rotella T dino 15w40 a few thousand miles back. I may even consider syn someday, but I still change my oil and filter every 1,000 miles; and that wouldn't stop with the syn, so I'll probably just stay with the dino and drink the price difference. Wink

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #25 - 05/17/09 at 11:53:31

id say one that's just slippery enough, but not too....one that's just thin enough, but not too... one that carries off just enough heat, without cooling too much... and that's about as deep as im ever going to step into one of these oil debates...lol

IP Logged
gazoo07

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #26 - 05/17/09 at 19:13:35

Thanks kwaknut & PTRider for the very accurate and informative posts on oil. The low number (10 in 10W40) doesnt mean much in motorcycle oils. It indicates how the oil flows at low temps. According to the 07 S40 owners manual 20W50 is good down to 14 degrees F. (That does not mean 14 degrees sitting in your yard or garage it means riding or starting the bike in this temp) If you live in Alaska and the temp gets lower than that but you dont start it until the temp goes above that it is not an issue. If you ride at under 14 degrees you have bigger kahunas than me and you may need to watch the lower number but most dont. And on the subject of buying oil from the dealership if you check the price you will most certainly find that you can find better oil cheaper. Contrary to popular beleif Diesel oils are not the only oils left with Zinc & phosphorous. All motorcycle oils that I know of have both and they are formulated for motorcycles not 18 Wheelers. Amsoil motorcycle oils have a GL1 gear lube rating which is important since our oil also lubricates the transmission gears. Yes I sell Amsoil and beleive it is the best. Check out this link and see what you think https://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx  There are a lot of good Synthetic MC oils out there and I would recommend using a motorcycle oil if you dont use ours.  Gazoo www.lubedealer.com/1lube  

Enjoy the journey as much as the destination!
Amsoil at wholesale prices! www.lubedealer.com/1lube
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 07/19/12 at 03:20:35

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 04/28/09 at 10:20:17:
I've used "Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50" each time I changed it.

This last time the bike had only about 1400 miles on it but it had been 6+ months since I changed it (OH winters will do that).  It came out looking almost as good as it went in.  The time before that was a little over 2500 in 4 months through the heat of summer and it was only a little black.

I'm with Reelthing and photojoe: there are only 2ish quarts and it's an air-cooled, wet clutch engine.  I'd rather spend $25 per oil change than spend a summer and major $$ rebuilding the engine.

+1

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 07/19/12 at 03:22:42

PTRider wrote on 04/28/09 at 10:02:04:
Suzuki recommends an xW-40 or xW-50 for temps over 86♠F.  I'd pick the 50, especially for any hard riding.  Any 20W-50 or synthetic 15W-50, 10W-50, or 5W-50 would do very well.  The 20W-50 is listed by Suzuki as OK down to +14♠F, so it won't be too thick when cold for your use.

Shell Rotella-T is a perfectly OK oil.  Nothing wrong with it and nothing wonderful about it.  Conoco/Phillips/76/Kendall's new diesel & gasoline 15W-40 is a better oil with their "Liquid Titanium."  That is a new additive that is exclusive to ConocoPhillips so far from Afton Chemical.  It has been shown to reduce camshaft & rocker arm wear and deposit a very thin coating of titanium on the parts.  Other oil companies will come out with something equal or better in time, but this is likely the best regular priced 15W-40 at this time.

+1

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:13:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › what would be the best oil in the summer heat...??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.