Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
what would be the best oil in the summer heat...?? (Read 533 times)
lokjaw777
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

what would be the best oil in the summer heat...??
04/27/09 at 17:01:47

90 to 93 here in va beach past few days ......finally getting the honey do list down so i can start working on my list........should i just stick with the top $$$$ oil at the suzi shop or should i try something different......

IP Logged
craigq
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, ON
Re: what would be the best oil in the summer heat.
Reply #1 - 04/27/09 at 17:15:07

Watch out, oil debates are right up there with religion and politics  Shocked

I'm not recommending anything, I think I learned my lesson. I'll just spout off some of my thoughts...

I believe these two are readily available:
Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50
Amsoil MCV 20W50

A lot of motorcyclists like Rotella T (syn 5W40 or conventional 15W40). Low cost and UOA's show good results, most of the diesel or "Heavy Duty" oils do... most of the low-spec motorcycle oils don't (although M1 and Amsoil generally yield good results).

I'm sure Motul or another of the Euro's must have some we could use, Motorex has a synthetic 10W50 and 10W60 which solved engine problems with KTM's LC4

If you want I can forward you a file which compiles most of the motorcycle UOA's on www.bobistheoilguy.com and you can peruse the results of the different oils... It's not up-to-date but I will probably get around to it sooner or later...

2009 WR250R/X
  IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #2 - 04/27/09 at 17:19:41

reg. oil came in the bike thats all i put in.

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 04/27/09 at 17:25:50

Read the Owner's Manual. Do what it says. However, you won't go wrong with the suggestion of Shell Rotella T 15W-40 Triple Protection. I shy away from the 5W-40 simply because the 5W is not recommended by the Owner's Manual. Many, however, find it completely satisfactory.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/27/09 at 17:53:02

Here is what our resident expert Kwak-Nut had to say about oils, in a much earlier post.  He has worked in the oil industry for years:

"About synthetics:

First, a lot of the myths about synthetics go back several decades when the original ‘synthetics’ were strange indeed, such as glycol based, and had very different properties to your normal mineral oil – there were problems with them attacking seals, they had disadvantages for every advantage, and you absolutely could not ix the with mineral oil.  However, there are many kinds of synthetics.

Modern polyalphaolefin ‘synthetics’ we use in retail automotive applications are not like that – they’re 100% compatible with mineral oils because they are the same compounds, just made in a purer way than nature can do it.

What people fail to grasp is that these synthetics are chemically the same as mineral oils, just purer.  Your average engine oil is made up of molecules each consisting about 30 carbon atoms, with obviously a few bits of oxygen and hydrogen thrown in.  In a mineral oil, they are going to be in all sorts of shapes -  think of it like the variation in shape you get with snowflakes.  The odd one will just be a neat, perfect, straight carbon chain – but not many at all.  Those others, the majority of randomly-shaped 30-weight molecules all have physical weaknesses, and ‘corners’ where other chemicals find it easier to react and attach.  

In your traditional mineral oil/liquefied dinosaur juice, it all starts out as one thick gloop that comes out of the ground and we fractionally distil it to get different ‘weights’ out at the refinery.  The thin stuff goes in fuel tanks, the medium stuff is lube, and the thick stuff makes roads.  Vacuum distillation separates the oils in to different weights of base stock – hence the 30-ish carbon molecule size in our oils.  

A true synthetic engine oil is polymerised – made up from C2 gas (ethane), to produce perfect straight carbon chains.  They are chemically identical to the less smoothly shaped natural molecules, they have the same chemical formula, but they are far more stable, not just to oxidation and chemical breakdown, but to physical duress as well – in gear teeth under extreme pressure, those molecules just slip past each other rather than breaking each other’s arms off.  That results in many advantages:

The oil remains more stable, doesn’t break down as quickly, and lasts far longer in the sump; less friction heat is generated, the oil itself exerts less friction against the metal – so less wear; less energy is used to turn the machine because of that reduce friction – so you actually gain in power and economy.  I could go on here.

Think of the oil molecules as being like components that come off a rough production line.  The very best items get inspected and put to one side for custom and aerospace applications – the rest goes into cheap mass production.  Well, with these fully synthetic oils, it’s like every molecule you get is the individually inspected blueprinted component you’d get from a custom machine shop, while normal oils contain all the average stuff and all the rejects too.

In short, it’s the same as mineral oil, but purer – much purer.

Additives

Engine oils contain a complex additive package.  Key to internal combustion engines is the dispersant/detergent pack.  The detergent coats metal surfaces to stop carbon waste products from adhering, while the dispersant is made up of little charged molecules which attach to small pieces of carbon and cause them to repel from each other – that way, the particles of suspended carbon (which are going to be there from fuel combustion and a little from oil burned on the bores whether you want it or not) always stay smaller than the oil film, and do not rub against your engine’s precious working surfaces.

There are also anti-wear agents, similar to those used in gearboxes which are activated by the temperatures caused at local pressure points, and effectively put a protective chemical coat on the metal, and there are viscosity improvers, which are spiral molecules which expand when hot, helping to counteract the thinning of an oil with increased temperature.

There are also emulsifying agents; their job is to trap water, in an emulsion, which allows the oil to absorb, safely, a certain amount of crankcase condensation or other moisture ingress.  Synthetics do not have any ‘problems’ with condensation that other oils would not have, whatever anecdotal evidence may have been observed by the odd individual.

Additives are important in engine oil – what we all need to remember is that you get what you pay for, and the good additive packs don’t go into cheap oil.  The way those additives perform comes down to the additive pack, not the oil base stock (though a good base stock will need the assistance of the additives less than a poor one).

Viscosity of synthetics:

Firstly, what do we mean when we say 10W40 or 20W50?  The first number, the W rating, says how thick the oil is at zero centigrade.  The second number says how thick it is at 100 centigrade.  You’ll notice that a mineral oil will probably be 15W40 or 20W50, while the synthetic can be 0W40 or 5W50.  That’s because the synthetics have a flatter viscosity index – and that means that their viscosity varies less with temperature.  That’s partly down to the expensive additive pack, partly lack of waxy impurities, but mostly the purity of the base stock.  

On a zero centigrade/32F cold morning, a 10W40 mineral oil will be the same thickness as a 10W50 synthetic – same pressure reading when you start up, and similar at room temperature.  However, when it gets really cold, like -15C/5F or worse, your mineral oil gets really thick, because it just doesn’t like that cold, and until it warms up your engine struggles to pump it round – it can be several seconds on that kind of cold day before the top end gets any oil at all!  With the synthetic, that flat viscosity index, and lack of waxy impurities, means that there is far, far less thickening when it gets really cold, and the oil still flows easily.

You can test this yourself.  Take an egg cup (or a smaller container) of Mobil 1, and of a similar W-rated mineral oil, and leave them in the deep freeze overnight.  See how they pour in the morning.

When it gets hot, obviously the reverse happens.  The 5W50 synthetic is the same thickness as the 20W50 mineral oil at 100C, but when things go wrong the viscosity of the mineral oil drops right off, and it starts to evaporate too quickly off hot bores.  The synthetic retains much more viscosity than the mineral oil, doesn’t evaporate off the bores as easily and remains far, far more resistant to thermal breakdown.  In Europe GM launched a car called the Vauxhall Carlton some 20-odd years ago.  Lotus had the contract to develop it from a 3-litre, 4-door saloon to be ‘quicker than a Ferrari Testarossa’.  They achieved it, but struggled badly to get the 377bhp they needed from that 3 litre turbocharged engine (this was the 80s remember) because they couldn’t keep temperature down at the boost they needed, and the oil was boiling in the sump.  The answer?  Mobil1 5W50, and thick black print in the owner’s handbook not to use any other oil!

Again, you can test it yourself.  Place a teaspoon each of 20W50 mineral oil and 5W50 synthetic in a baking tray in a hot oven, and see how they take the heat (best to do this when the mrs is out)

You’ll always here people come out with stories of how they’ve had problems with synthetic oil.  What they can rarely tell you is whether they’d have had the same problem with mineral oil, or if they just hadn’t noticed up to the point they changed the oil!  

Lots of people will continue to resist the expertise of some pretty clever people who develop these products for the oil companies, and go with the advice of the mechanic at their local bar who wouldn’t even trust synthetic oil in his lawnmower.  He’s like a fellow in my local pub who won’t wear a seatbelt in case he can’t duck to one side when a truck full of scaffolding poles gets spilled over his hood – he’d get skewered if he wore his belt, so he’s convinced that it’s safer to drive without a seat belt on.  I doubt he really has to worry about being run through by scaffolding poles, and I just hope he doesn’t have a regular crash."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: 04/27/09 at 22:31:39 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #5 - 04/27/09 at 18:06:22

The recommended oil is 10W-40, and I don't like that at all.  To get those 30 points of viscosity difference in a non-synthetic oil way too high a volume of polymer viscosity index improvers had to be added to the oil.  The VIIs do not lubricate, they just take up space in the oil and cause the oil to thin less when hot...until they shear.  Gears tend to shear the VIIs, especially the cheaper ones, very quickly.  This would be gears in a camshaft drive in a car or gears in a motorcycle transmission!  Oil with sheared VIIs measures as the viscosity of the base oil, certainly no longer 40wt in the case of a 10W-40, maybe more like a 20wt.

So...I'd much prefer an conventional 20W-50 or syn xW-50 in hot weather, especially for an air cooled engine, and a 15W-40 or 5W-40 in moderate weather.  A synthetic thins less in the high heat and thickens less when very cold, and also oxidizes more slowly.  

The allowable High Temperature/High Shear viscosity, a very rigorous viscosity test measured at 150°C, allows a lower HTHS viscosity for a 5W-40 than a 15W-40.  I'd avoid a gasoline engine 5W-40 and stick with a dual-rated diesel & gasoline engine 5W-40 oil; the diesel rated oils are more robust.  A higher HTHS viscosity offers more engine protection.  Here's the SAE spec:  http://www.infineum.com/information/api_tables/SAE%20Viscosity%20Grades%20For...

Several errors in Gort's posting:
Quote:
In your traditional mineral oil/liquefied dinosaur juice, it all starts out as one thick gloop that comes out of the ground and we fractionally distil it to get different ‘weights’ out at the refinery.  The thin stuff goes in fuel tanks, the medium stuff is lube, and the thick stuff makes roads.  Vacuum distillation separates the oils in to different weights of base stock – hence the 30-ish carbon molecule size in our oils.  
Seventy years ago solvent refining was added to the vacuum distillation process, and hydrocracking, begun forty years ago, greatly improves the lube base oil even more.  Here is much more; note that the process described is used by just about every refiner:  http://www.boucherandjones.com/hydrocracking.htm  There are no purely solvent refined base oils used in any modern lube oil.

Most of what we call "synthetic oil" these days is made from Group III base oil.  This is very highly refined from crude oil, and the best is almost as good as the Group IV polyalphaolefin base oil Gort describes.  Here's more.  Note that UCBO is Chevron's name of Unconventional Base Oil for their Group III.  The only PAO oils I know of on the market are most Amsoil products (very good despite their hype) and maybe Mobil 1, although ExxonMobil won't state for sure.  Redline oil, great stuff, is Group V ester with some Group IV.  No one knows what's in Royal Purple.  The Infineum link I posted above shows the definitions of the base oil groups.  (Infineum is a joint venture of ExxonMobil and British Petroleum that makes the additives for lubricants--motor oil is about 75-80% base oil and 20-25% additives...detergents, dispersants, viscosity index improvers, antiwear agents, antioxidants, antifoamants, friction modifiers, dye, etc.)  Here's more about base oils.  VHVI = Very High Viscosity Index base oil.  PAO = polyalphaolefin base oil.  

Quote:
Firstly, what do we mean when we say 10W40 or 20W50?  The first number, the W rating, says how thick the oil is at zero centigrade.
The W (winter) viscosity rating is not done at 0°.  It is done at -30°C for a 5W, -25°C for a 10W, -20°C for a 15W, etc.  This is noted in the SAE J300 table I linked to above.

Viscosity index is the relative difference in viscosity between 40°C and 100°C.  A higher viscosity index number is better...the oil thins less when hot and thickens less when cold.  These are shown on the Chevron base oil comparison sheet.

« Last Edit: 04/27/09 at 19:25:18 by PTRider »  
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/27/09 at 22:18:59

I will PM Kwak Nut and see if he cares to respond to your comments on his material, which I quoted.  It would be interesting to see what he has to say, considering his experience in the oil business.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 04/27/09 at 23:34:14

Any oil that will not spawn another Great Oil Debate, but of course that would just mean running it dry which is a REALLY BAD IDEA!! Never mind, I wasn't here.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 04/28/09 at 04:28:10

I use 20/50 Klotz synthetic racing oil it cost more but will last more mileage,maybe up to double before you have to change oil,If it works for racing it such work good in a low power s40.Klotz was one of the first synthetic oils.I live in wisconsin so I seldom ride in 90 degree temperatures maybe one month a year.I think it will double the life of the engine.Next oil change I'm going to their new Klotz MX4 15/50,Which is supposed to give it 10% less wear than the older oil.

« Last Edit: 04/28/09 at 08:19:40 by bill67 »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 04/28/09 at 06:59:46

20w/50 mobil 1 vtwin summer, 10w/40 mx4 mobile 1 winter. changed often - you only have 2 quarts make it a quality oil and keep it clean.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 04/28/09 at 07:56:01

Reelthing wrote on 04/28/09 at 06:59:46:
changed often - you only have 2 quarts make it a quality oil and keep it clean.

Best advice so far. The owner of the shop where I buy my oil said to me last year "you change your oil way too much." I'm riding an '87, there's never a "too much" when it comes to changing my oil. The cleaner the oil, the better.

FSO
  IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #11 - 04/28/09 at 09:35:16

lokjaw777 wrote on 04/27/09 at 17:01:47:
90 to 93 here in va beach past few days ......finally getting the honey do list down so i can start working on my list........should i just stick with the top $$$$ oil at the suzi shop or should i try something different......

Along the same lines as the original question, would Rotella T be a good choice for summer riding? At 15-40 it's not real thick, would it make a good day to day oil in 90-100deg. weather?

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #12 - 04/28/09 at 10:02:04

Suzuki recommends an xW-40 or xW-50 for temps over 86♠F.  I'd pick the 50, especially for any hard riding.  Any 20W-50 or synthetic 15W-50, 10W-50, or 5W-50 would do very well.  The 20W-50 is listed by Suzuki as OK down to +14♠F, so it won't be too thick when cold for your use.

Shell Rotella-T is a perfectly OK oil.  Nothing wrong with it and nothing wonderful about it.  Conoco/Phillips/76/Kendall's new diesel & gasoline 15W-40 is a better oil with their "Liquid Titanium."  That is a new additive that is exclusive to ConocoPhillips so far from Afton Chemical.  It has been shown to reduce camshaft & rocker arm wear and deposit a very thin coating of titanium on the parts.  Other oil companies will come out with something equal or better in time, but this is likely the best regular priced 15W-40 at this time.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #13 - 04/28/09 at 10:20:17

I've used "Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50" each time I changed it.

This last time the bike had only about 1400 miles on it but it had been 6+ months since I changed it (OH winters will do that).  It came out looking almost as good as it went in.  The time before that was a little over 2500 in 4 months through the heat of summer and it was only a little black.

I'm with Reelthing and photojoe: there are only 2ish quarts and it's an air-cooled, wet clutch engine.  I'd rather spend $25 per oil change than spend a summer and major $$ rebuilding the engine.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #14 - 04/28/09 at 15:38:04

I use the 20-w50 suzuki brand oil for summer. 10-w40 suzuki brand oil for the cooler months.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:34:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › what would be the best oil in the summer heat...??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.