Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
help! wifes bike won't start. (Read 200 times)
mrplease
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

help! wifes bike won't start.
04/26/09 at 14:26:08

well like i said, my wifes bike won't start. i started it & took it around the block. everything was just fine then i parked it in front of the house. anyway when i got back on to start it up it made one little click sound and then nothing. no lights. it won't even try to turn over. it isn't like a dead battery. it seems more like it lost a connection as it seems like NO juice is going thru the battery...

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Re: help! wifes bike won't start.
Reply #1 - 04/26/09 at 14:38:06

Did you turn off the kill switch? lol. Check your battery as well if you have a charger. You will get that click even with out the battery.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #2 - 04/26/09 at 14:51:42

Ton of connectors are under the seat that could have come loose. Battery connections could have became loose, I'm not sure but I think it kind of acts the same way if you try to start it in gear with out having the clutch pulled in all the way. Hard to say without seeing the bike.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/26/09 at 15:00:08

Is the kickstand down while in gear? Put it in neutral, if light comes on then you still have power or if your headlights come on at all.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/26/09 at 15:01:20

whoops oh yeah no lights. Doesnt matter if its kill switch or kickstand down lol. Yeah, disconnected somewhere, maybe at the battery, but for sure check your battery power. Might be time for a new one. You can have checked for free at a stealership.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/26/09 at 15:07:35

Fuse ok?

check the ground on the engine.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 04/26/09 at 15:21:30

Kill switch position is #1 newbie mistake, #2 most popular trick is turning the key all the way past the "ON" position all the way over to the "PARK" position (which only energizes part of the electrical system but allows the headlight to burn and drain the battery).  

#3 most popular newbie goof is forgetting we have interlocks on the clutch lever (must be pulled in), on the neutral gear light (must be in neutral w/green lite lit) and on the kickstand (must be folded up into the "go" riding position -- or else you have to be in neutral with the green light lit AND with the clutch lever pulled in).

Fourth most popular newbie mistake is screwing around with the #1, #2  or #3 mistake long enough to deplete the battery just a little bit --  just depleted enough so engine will will turn over but NOT actually start -- this is due to battery stored voltage dropping below 12 volts which makes the electronics black boxes act irregular on firing the plug but the starter motor will still try to operate and weakly move the engine to roll over.

Solution to 1 through 4 is to charge the battery thoroughly over night with a 1 to 2 AMP motorcycle charger.   Then in the clear light of day LOOK at the position of the handlebar kill switch position and the ignition switch ON position.  SIT ON THE BIKE with the side stand folded up and the key in "ON" position, pull the clutch lever in and hit the start button.  

Vroom.  Disgusting, ain't it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mrplease
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/26/09 at 16:40:16

where are the fuses located?

i really don't feel like its the battery. like i said it started up very strong 5 minutes before. and then when i put the key in i turned it to the on position and no lights even came on. not the front light or not even the green little neutral light. even if it was a low battery wouldn't the front light be on but real weak? especially the green neutral light.

IP Logged
mrplease
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/26/09 at 16:42:15

verslagen1 wrote on 04/26/09 at 15:07:35:
Fuse ok?

how do i check the grond on the engine?

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/26/09 at 17:08:28

Aside from the forum, here is the sinlge best resource you will have for trouble shooting and doing anything on the bike.
The download link I created for the clymer repair manual. It will help you with you problem.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1236700171

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 04/26/09 at 17:19:32

mrplease wrote on 04/26/09 at 16:42:15:
verslagen1 wrote on 04/26/09 at 15:07:35:
Fuse ok?

how do i check the grond on the engine?

Make sure the bolt is tight, clean (err as clean as something can get on the bottom of the engine), and not eminating sparks.

WWW   IP Logged
mrplease
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/27/09 at 09:14:20

ok guys, can someone tell me where the fuses are located and how to get to them. i'm going to check that.

the ground is good.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/27/09 at 09:41:54

You can reach the fuseblock under the rt side of the seat. No real need to pull the seat, unless youd rather do that than struggle to find & reach it. It IS accessible, but far from convenient with the seat on. I want to say its up underneath the thigh, butt area of the rt side of the seat. Its a white plastic block, not too big, just holds 2 fuses I think.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #13 - 04/27/09 at 12:51:44

2 20A fuses right in a little white block panel that's under the rigth side of the seat (sitting on the bike). Most likely, that'll be your issue.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #14 - 04/27/09 at 13:14:55

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 04/27/09 at 12:51:44:
2 20A fuses right in a little white block panel that's under the rigth side of the seat (sitting on the bike). Most likely, that'll be your issue.

Then to find out what made it blow.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:33:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › help! wifes bike won't start.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.