Send Topic Print
5 TODAY (Read 262 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

5 TODAY
04/25/09 at 18:13:47

SadI live in norther New York. Today temp in the high 70s blue sky, best day of the year so far. 5 motocyle crashes today. Give your self time to use to the bike after the winter off. Slow down and watch them, we know they dont see us. Sad

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: 5 TODAY
Reply #1 - 04/25/09 at 18:27:43

There have been three or four deaths here in the past week or so.  I think warm weather, not having ridden and cars not used to looking for them make a difference.  We all need to be careful out there.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
ATLjan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/25/09 at 18:58:51

I just bought my 2nd BRIGHT RED jacket.  Have fun but ride they none of them see you.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #3 - 04/25/09 at 19:07:13

Haven't heard about any around here, but I'm sure they're out there.  Everything you can do to make yourself visible.  I always ride with the highbeam on during the daytime, may help a little.  Night-time, got one of those reflective bands (Helmet Halo) on my full helmet, that thing lights up like crazy, I highly recommend it or at least some reflective tape.  Ride safe everyone, and watch out for the celphone zombies! Shocked

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 04/25/09 at 20:09:25

Is there any consensus on the utility of headlight modulators or taillight flashers?

IP Logged
jd06s40

live to ride

marion ohio
Reply #5 - 04/25/09 at 20:17:09

nasty accident yesterday here.some teenagers making an e legal uturn on a one way street (dont know why) and a harley t boned them killing the female passenger and life threating injuries to the rider. the bike was inside the car.

06 s40 se muffler,152.5 mainjet,55pilot,whitespacer mod,suzuki windscreen,gel seat,sissybar more to come
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/25/09 at 21:48:30

It was carload of teenagers that got me.  Turned right from the left turn lane.  Brand new jacket, only been riding 2 weeks.  Still wear it to remind myself.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 04/26/09 at 05:35:10

You can find reflective stickers that go with your personality. I have this on my helmet: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REFLECTIVE-IRON-CROSS-vinyl-motorcycle-decal-s... Store has a few designs that you may like. They're well made, I may buy a couple more for my saddlebags/dowco bag also. I like the black ones that stay black but reflect when light hits them for the saddlebags.

I took a 100 mile R/T ride to the historic town of Allentown, NJ yesterday. Mostly back roads through farmland. The roughest part is getting out of my area. Crazy people flock to the beaches during this weather, and, they're in a hell of a rush to get here.

FSO
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 04/26/09 at 08:21:38

As far as I have been able to determine, there is no evidence that headlight modulators make a difference. Some say they attract attention; others say they make drivers think you are flashing your lights at them to allow them to move in front of you. There is also no evidence that loud pipes make any difference, except to annoy non-motorcyclists. Deer whistles don't make any difference, either. A startled deer jumps whichever way it is pointed, whether startled by the whistle or any other noise. Just ride as if no one else knows you are there - because they don't. Unfortunately, they not only don't know you are there, but they don't care, and there is bloody little you can do about it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #9 - 04/26/09 at 12:35:04

I bought a gmax helmet red led lights built in the back of it you can set it to flash or just stay on. Also I put running amber led lights on the frame of the bike, to stand out more at night. Bright yellow tour master jacket.  ya I stand out Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/26/09 at 13:18:32

A gentleman riding at around 6am was killed in a hit and run 2 weeks ago. The culprit has since been apprehended and remanded to court, and out on bail. A month ago I saw a scooter wrapped right around a light post and a mangled car across the street. It was below freezing that day.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #11 - 04/26/09 at 15:29:19

We just need to remain vigilant. I've been finding myself drifting off a bit (visually) while looking the beautiful scenery. Caught myself doing it yesterday while riding through horse farm area. I mean, that's one of the beautiful things we experience when riding right? The sights, sounds and smells, especially through rolling hills on nice, almost traffic free roads. But collisions come so fast and out of the blue most times, whether in a cage or on a bike. We take our precautions, which is all we can do. Keep riding, remain vigilant while riding, or driving for that matter, and enjoy life. It's too short to live only on 4 wheels.

FSO
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #12 - 04/26/09 at 16:16:41

alcoa wrote on 04/26/09 at 12:35:04:
I bought a gmax helmet red led lights built in the back of it you can set it to flash or just stay on. Also I put running amber led lights on the frame of the bike, to stand out more at night. Bright yellow tour master jacket.  ya I stand out Wink

I looked into getting one of those lights, you can get ones that stick to your helmet (or wherever you want to tape it).  If they switch my hours back to where I'm going in at 10 pm, I probably will.  I may do it this winter anyway, when it starts getting dark earlier, since I ride in at 4:30 pm.  Of course by that time it may be too cold and wet to want to ride in a lot! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #13 - 04/27/09 at 17:34:24

Yah beings I"m active duty military I've got to wear a full reflective vest, but after picking riding back up when i moved down to the Atlanta area about 7 months ago and seeing just how the people drive down here I wear it all the time.  Cagers ARE ALWAYS ON THEIR CELL PHONES!!!!  I do think that my loud pipes help(I'm actually setting off car alarms now  Grin)  And the backfire is good to that really makes people pay attention when you grab the clutch and "pop" off a few, people...civlilians always act that way when they think they're being shot at.... Huh

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #14 - 04/27/09 at 17:50:50

Try to avoid this...try really, really hard.

How about a muffler with adjustable noise level?   Quiet around the home neighborhood and loud when the testosterone is surging.
http://www.peacemakersexhausts.com/product.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:34:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 5 TODAY

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.