Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Still cant get over 60mph! Cant figure it out! (Read 713 times)
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Re: Still cant get over 60mph! Cant figure it out!
Reply #30 - 04/30/09 at 16:27:41

Thank you agian good idea the one thats on there is no telling how old it is. I am not the first onwner so i cant say whats happend to this bike, but now that i think about it even befor the new carb the bike did the same thing, but only jolted around and starved and died randomly, from the old carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #31 - 04/30/09 at 20:58:15

Quite a curious problem.

So when your in 5th pushing for 60mph and it slows down to 55 at wot can you hear the engine slow down as well?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 04/30/09 at 21:03:21

So, unless I've missed it, you didn't say what jets are in the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #33 - 05/01/09 at 01:16:02

I'd get a timing light to see if it ignition advances with rpm. Is it running smoothly at its top speed? Any misfiring?

IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #34 - 05/01/09 at 07:21:02

ok no im still not sure of the jets in the carb, going to ride today i removed the air filter to see if there is any difference, i will allso check ohms on ingnition system today, to see if anything is fualty. WHen in 5th gear at 3/4 throttle im can run 60, if open to full throttle i lose speed to about 55, no missfireing that i can tell and the bike seems to run smooth, though i can feel the loss in speed. Engine rpm seems reather high at 60 in 4th, then switching to 5th makes a slight difference in rpm. No way to be sure with out a tach un fortunetly im tapped out for cash right now so cant get one.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 05/01/09 at 07:27:50

speedingman wrote on 04/30/09 at 16:20:20:
5th Gear - can hang on to 60 at 3/4 throttle but lose speed to about  
               55mph at full throttle  

This is exactly what I tell people to do to test whether or not they need a bigger main jet.
You've looked at everything else, why not the jets?

WWW   IP Logged
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #36 - 05/01/09 at 07:30:45

I found this little paragraph while reading about carb tuning tricks.

Quote:
Rev up to redline, then back off the throttle slightly. If the motor wants to run faster with the throttle backed off, the mixture is probably too lean.

..this also goes on to say not only while setting and reving the engine, but while under load.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 05/01/09 at 10:28:05

I'm a little confused about something here, so please straighten me out.  Am I correct in assuming that when you bought the bike, it had this problem, and after you replaced the carb with a brand new one, you still had the same problem...is that correct?

IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #38 - 05/01/09 at 10:46:58

Ok folks heres what happend after test rode today with cleaned petcock filter brand new plug and no air filter.... I about broke my neck and sh.t myself when i took off, the bike ran like it has never before!!!!! i went well over 60 in 2nd gear and had so much power i hit 80 befor i relise ed that i was going to get a ticket if i dont slow down. when i finally opened the trottle up it allmost stood up on me, scared the crap out of me, so now going to put the air filter back in and see if that chages anything. Some where in the 3 things i did yesterday i made a huge difference, or a combo of all 3, well see when i put the air filter back in!

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 05/01/09 at 12:16:28

I read all your posts over and you said you replaced the sparkplug once already and the bike ran the same, and you said the old air filter was white and clean, and you said the fuel flows freely when you drained some out of the petcock.  Now you've replaced the plug with another new one, removed the air filter which was white and clean, and cleaned the petcock which you said was previously flowing freely, and the bike runs right.  Since it is running right, there is nothing wrong with the ignition system.   You did you replace the carb with a new one in an attempt to correct the problem you are having, and the new one made no difference.  Something isn't making sense here.  Your latest test run points to a mixture problem in the carb because the only new thing you did was to remove the air filter, which would compensate for an over-rich fuel mixture.  However, you've had 2 carbs on this bike and both acted the same.  It would be a real coincidence that both had the same mixture problem.

IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #40 - 05/01/09 at 12:57:52

Ok i put the same air filter back in the bike and the bike still runs fine, the only thing i can think of now is that the plug that was in there was bad from the start, maybe that was all that was wrong all along, who knows stranger things have happend. but now everything seems to run fine, I'm not so sure about it myself. Maybe it heard me telling my wife that i was going to get rid of it if i couldnt fix it, lol. After all thats been done and the stress and so forth, i want to thank everyone for there input and help in this puzzleing adventure over the past month or so. THANKYOU SO MUCH!!! Shocked I can now say that i too love my savage thumper!!  Case Closed... for now. Thankyou.

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #41 - 05/01/09 at 13:08:40

The plug that was in this bike was the one i put in when i bought the bike and was in there before the new carb was put on so it would make sense that that plug was ethier faulty from the start or was fouled out from the old carb and i never thought to replace it intill now it had only been in ther for a 100 miles or so befor i changed carbs and head gasket and so forth. so all this fustration could have very well just been from that spark plug. Sorry for the confusion.

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 05/01/09 at 14:08:53

AHA! Just like I thought!  The wife sabotaged your bike!

IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #43 - 05/01/09 at 19:55:43

My wife said something about the plug way back, but why would i listen to her, that soesnt't make sense to me... well i guess i learned a lesson through all of this, Listen to your wives they could be right. It been 8 years now would have figured that out by now right?

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #44 - 05/01/09 at 20:10:57

So, your wife knows more about bikes than you do?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:29:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Still cant get over 60mph! Cant figure it out!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.