Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Still cant get over 60mph! Cant figure it out! (Read 713 times)
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Still cant get over 60mph! Cant figure it out!
04/25/09 at 12:45:56

Anyone know why, Things that ive done, new plug, new carb, fixed holes in tail pipe, new head gasket, checked valve clearances. Im lost, it makes no diference what gear im in i can not get over 60 mph, this is a 1996 ls 650 with 13600 miles on it, bike runs great up to 60! Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be great im at my wits end with this.

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Re: Still cant get over 60mph! Cant figure it out!
Reply #1 - 04/25/09 at 12:48:13

Sorry i have also been through the time twice and that is spot on!

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/25/09 at 12:59:28

do you have a tach?
Is it reving high enough to go fast?
I'm wondering about your new carb, what jets?
Could it be a cable issue?  Just not getting enough twist to go?

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #3 - 04/25/09 at 13:03:00

The cable opens the carb all the way. no i dont have a tach wish i did, i made sure i was getting 4th and 5th gear at low speeds it feels like there catching so i eleiminating the transmission, i was wondering about the carb myself.  The carb is completely oem jets and all. when riding at 60mph the trottle is about 3/4 open, if i go past that to full throttle i acctual lose speed to about 55mph if that helps.

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #4 - 04/25/09 at 13:07:04

where can i find a faily cheap tach that will work with this bike?

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/25/09 at 13:11:00

What size are the jets?

It could be they gave you jets for the current bike and it may be starved for gas at speed.  
My '96 ran great with a 150 and stock pipe.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/25/09 at 13:11:36

search tach, there are a few listed here.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 04/25/09 at 13:16:27

Check the fuel screen in the tank and make sure that's clear. If it is partly clogged it might restrict fuel flow enough to give a problem like that. You could just remove the fuel line from the carburetor, put the petcock in PRIme, and see whether the fuel flows freely (into a suitable container).

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #8 - 04/25/09 at 13:17:57

ok Im not familar with jetting and stuff whats involved and how much does it cost or should i try to send carb back and try another carb, when i bought this carb i had a hard time finding the right one because the oem for this year was discontinued, they gave my a updated or revised version could this be the problem? How can i know what jets are in this carb?

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #9 - 04/25/09 at 13:19:28

Yes the fuel flows freely because i just drained some today to run my lawn mower, lol.
But i will check again it was clear about 2 weeks ago when i painted the tank.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 04/25/09 at 13:37:49

Maybe the float in the carb's bowl is set wrong and causing a fuel starvation problem at higher RPM's. Are you getting any loud backfiring between shifts or black smoke out the pipe? Check the air filter and try a short ride without it just to see if there is any difference. If you are looking for a inexpensive tach and don't care what you use then look for a small engine or lawnmower tach. They are self contained, all you need to do is wrap the pickup wire around the bike's plug wire and hook up a ground.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #11 - 04/25/09 at 13:46:55

I used to get alot of back fire before i adjusted the air ide screw and welded the holes that were drilled in the tail pipe. Now i just get and accasional pop when slowing down its rare though. Ive read about installing a clip or something on the main jet, though im not sure how to do this as im not much of a carb expert, im only 25 and all i know is fuel injection. lol. on Cars that is. Whats in the float that is adjustable do you have a diagram?

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #12 - 04/25/09 at 13:50:41

Mine did that with one custom exhaust baffle I tried out and two different intake filter materials that I tried out.  They caused too much airflow resistance on one side of the engine or the other to where the bike wouldn't get past 65.  The problem was apparent momentarily at higher rpms when shifting through the gears and then persistently obvious at highway speeds.  I'm not saying that either is your cause but pointing out that air flow on both sides as well as fuel problems can cause these issues.  What kind of holes did you have to fix on the muffler?  Was there a previous owner?  Did they do anything to the muffler?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #13 - 04/25/09 at 13:53:42

speedingman wrote on 04/25/09 at 13:46:55:
I used to get alot of back fire before i adjusted the air ide screw and welded the holes that were drilled in the tail pipe. Now i just get and accasional pop when slowing down its rare though. Ive read about installing a clip or something on the main jet, though im not sure how to do this as im not much of a carb expert, im only 25 and all i know is fuel injection. lol. on Cars that is. Whats in the float that is adjustable do you have a diagram?

The little tab in the center is carefully bent to adjust the float level. (picture courtesy of SavageWahine and her Carb cleaning thread http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985 )

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #14 - 04/25/09 at 13:55:31

I think we may have something like that going on, Like i said i fixed the holes in exuast though this made no difference in performance just made the bike quieter. the air filter is i think it is stardard, its square black plastic with white filter and is clean. If its in this carb i am going to be so mad it took forever to get the thing and now it might not even be working right!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:29:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Still cant get over 60mph! Cant figure it out!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.