Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Still cant get over 60mph! Cant figure it out! (Read 713 times)
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Re: Still cant get over 60mph! Cant figure it out!
Reply #15 - 04/25/09 at 14:11:19

Thankyou for the thread very nice instructions I will adjust the float but which way it may sound dumb, if the pin is in i assume it stops gas flow, so i need to lower the little plate to alow more fuel ah now im confused... it shouldnt matter because no matter what its only going to let whatever fuel in that you use, right. All we would achieve is more volume in the bowl. Though the plastic spacer mod intrest me. sounds like an easy mod. I would almost seem as if i would need more vaccuum to suck more fuel at higher rpms.?

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #16 - 04/25/09 at 14:23:06

what would be cause if the bike could not reach max rpm, other than fuel? Or air?

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 04/25/09 at 15:25:36

If you can see your bowl then you're not to far away from your jets.

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 04/25/09 at 15:49:47

speedingman wrote on 04/25/09 at 14:23:06:
what would be cause if the bike could not reach max rpm, other than fuel? Or air?

If the timing is way off, that could do it.  Very low compression can do it also.  Low spark plug voltage could do it, but the proof would be a sooty plug.  

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #19 - 04/26/09 at 21:02:40

The main jet is responsible for 60% to 100% or WFO throttle.  Perhaps your main is clogged or wrong size?  Best of luck.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 04/27/09 at 09:02:29

It sounds to me like the rubber diaphram at the top of the carb slide is not seated properly in the groove around the top of the carb body.  Remove the top cover from the carb body and check that the rubber diaphram is not crunched/twisted/pulled over/punchered/etc that would prevent the vacuum from pulling the slide all the way up.  
It is very easy to get it off center when installing, and if that happens then the result produces the exact symptoms you describe.

If that is not the problem then you may need to get some holy water to exercise the carb demons.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #21 - 04/27/09 at 09:05:48

or the spring is off to one side and not centered in the cover

IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #22 - 04/30/09 at 04:34:27

thanks everyone for the help, im going to test compression today hopefully, and also crossreference this sopposed updated carb that i had to purchase when i bought this carb. i will let you know what i find later on tonight, thanks again.

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #23 - 04/30/09 at 11:14:54

OK Just did a compression check Came up with 135psi, the limit is 114psi, and the standard is 142 - 200 psi! So im not at the limit but im deffinetly below standard operation. I know the head gasket is good because its new and i replaced it. I already check valve clearances, there right on spec, so that leaves rings or cylinder/piston. Got to fix copression before i go to carb problems, Im starting to wish i never bought this bike, Looks like im going to have to do a rebuild, and i might as well replace the timing chain and tensioner aswell. Anyone esle have some input on the matter befor i go and blow a few hundered dollars on new parts, hey maybe nows a good time to bore it out and put a larger piston in :'(

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #24 - 04/30/09 at 14:04:35

Anyone live in central western part of florida that would like to tak my bike for a ride to see what they think my problem could be? Im am desperate. Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/30/09 at 15:54:41

It looks to me as if you've covered everything, and if I understand you correctly, the condition existed before you replaced the carb.  How about the fully transistorized ignition system?  It consists of a signal generator ( which consists of 1 rotor tip and one pick up coil), ignitor, ignition coil and spark plug.  According to Suzuki, if the sparkplug fires an orange spark, the coil is defective.  I'd take off the sparkplug wire, attach it to a spare plug, ground the plug to the engine and try to start the bike, while watching the sparkplug fire in a darkened area.  You can more accurately check the coil by with an Volt/Ohm meter: check for continuity between the the primary and secondary windings.  The primary readings should be between 1-7 ohms.  The secondary readings should be between 10-25 ohms.  Next, I'd check the Pick Up Coil.  Remove the seat and the left frame cover. Measure the resistance between the lead ( orange and green) wires.  If it is infinity or less than 220 +or- 20%, then it is defective.  Next is the Ignitor (consisting of capacitors, diodes & etc.), but  unfortunately I can't tell you how to check it with a Volt/Ohm meter because according to Suzuki, the readings they give are only good for their special 'Pocket Tester'.

Its been my experience with transistorized ignition systems in automobiles that it often only takes one defective internal piece to change its electrical value, for the engine to no longer run right.  If I had your bike, I would first watch the color of the sparkpug spark, I would check the coil resistance readings, and after that I would see if I could find a cheap spare used Ignitor and put it on, and see if that does it.   And after that, I would throw on a used signal generator and see if that fixes the problem.  

IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #26 - 04/30/09 at 16:01:23

Interesting theory, never even thought of that, I will check all of that and see what i come up with essentially your thinking that im not fireing hot enough? Or losing voltage from the coil... see this stuff makes sence to me im just carb stupid thats all, lol, BTW i checked the petcock out and filter, they were slightly dirty but not bad, I also pulled the top of the carb to check the diafram and it is in good condition. Put a new plug in again today, the old one was dry, and slightly black.

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 04/30/09 at 16:12:25

Here is what the Clymer manual says can be the causes of "Engine loses power at normal riding speed":

1. Carb incorrectly adjusted.
2. Engine overheating.
3. Improper ignition timing due to faulty component in system  (remember, timing can look good when you check it, but be all over the place when riding at various rpms, if a part is faulty).

4. Weak ignition Signal Generator.
5. Weak or faulty Ignitor Unit.
6. Incorrectly gapped sparkplug.
7. Weak igniton coil.
8. Obstructed mufflers.
9. Dragging brakes.

I'd be willing to bet its something to do with the transistorized ignition system.  In any case, get back to us when you find the solution.

IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #28 - 04/30/09 at 16:20:20

Ok heres an up date on the condition of the bike, New carburator, new head gasket, new exuast gasket, Correct timing, new plug, clean filters, carb diafram in good condition, Copression is at 135/psi., Bike seems strong untill about 50mph then starts to weaken out up to 60mph and thats it I can almost get 65mph going down hill, Heres the drivablity breakdown with full throttle all the way baby!

1st Gear - get to 35mph topped out
2nd Gear - get to 50mph topped out
3rd Gear - get to 55ish topped out
4th Gear - get to 60 full trottle
5th Gear - can hang on to 60 at 3/4 throttle but lose speed to about  
               55mph at full throttle  

You guys have all been a ton of help and i apreciate everything!! Thanks agian, Time to check volts and resistance, wish me luck! Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 04/30/09 at 16:22:19

speedingman wrote on 04/30/09 at 16:01:23:
Interesting theory, never even thought of that, I will check all of that and see what i come up with essentially your thinking that im not fireing hot enough? Or losing voltage from the coil... see this stuff makes sence to me im just carb stupid thats all, lol, BTW i checked the petcock out and filter, they were slightly dirty but not bad, I also pulled the top of the carb to check the diafram and it is in good condition. Put a new plug in again today, the old one was dry, and slightly black.

My gut feeling is that the timing is changing due to a defective solid state component changing its value under high rpm or load demands, or maybe the spark weakens at high rpm for the same reasons.

By the way, fuel hoses can weaken internally and collapse just enough to allow fuel to pass through, but not enough for high RPM.  I've seen them do this from age, and most certainly from the alcohol they now blend into gasoline, and from alcohol based additives like octane boosters and gas anti freeze, and others.  From the outside the fuel line looks fine, but inside it has partially collapsed.  It wouldn't hurt to replace it with Fuel Injection hose, which is designed to take the alcohol laced gasoline that is now sold.  At one time Harley had this problem and sent out a directive to replace their bikes hoses with the newer kind.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:30:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Still cant get over 60mph! Cant figure it out!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.