Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New machined cam chain adjuster extensioner (Read 508 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
New machined cam chain adjuster extensioner
04/24/09 at 10:59:28

Yahoo!!!!!!

Got it today.  Unfortunately it's a no go on making more and selling them.  He said to consider it a favor.  I had asked him to make it first without the notches then add if needed cause I wanted to see how well it worked without them.  He said to bring it back anytime and they'll do the notches.  I'm pretty sure it needs the notches to account for chain stretch over time but I wanted to try it and know for sure before notching it and making another one.  That spring is pretty darn strong.  Mine is an '06.  Maybe the notches plus the heavy spring induces chain stretch earlier.  On the flip side, maybe it will be sloppier on harder acceleration without the notches to lock it in place. I think the notches also prevent wearing out of the extensioner sliding in and out of the housing in the absence of any continuous oil flow.   Anyhow, nothing lost in trying it first for the heck of it.  He left the longer section on the end in case I wanted to drill another hole or shape it to whatever length I wanted.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New machined cam chain adjuster extensioner
Reply #1 - 04/24/09 at 11:59:38

I'd put the standard hole in too so that you can use it with a new chain and guides.

And you don't need a hole further out cause when you get to end of travel the chain will be itchin' it's own belly.

Teeth are necessary, or you might need a stiffer spring.  I would go with a wider spacing on the teeth.  You're trying to prevent the chain from disengaging from the sprocket when a wave of chain travels around like whipping a hose to get it disengaged from something.

I don't think there's any issue with it being longer, but as I don't have any that long  Shocked  you'll find out.

WWW   IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/24/09 at 13:21:06

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!   Grin

It looks purrrty!   Don't worry dj.... I just ordered a 100% original verslavy!  hehe

Wolf  Cheesy

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 04/27/09 at 18:07:46

Got it in today.  I went ahead and had them flatten the bottom and cut the grooves.  I rounded off the end.  

I got everything all put back together and went for a ride.  All seems back to normal.  First time I rode in maybe two and a half weeks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/27/09 at 19:02:39

No grooves, did you take the sping out of the pawl too?

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 04/28/09 at 05:30:20

I took it back yesterday morning and they cut the grooves.  After the pic I turned the crank a few times to check it and it popped out to the first groove.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/28/09 at 18:02:58

Do you know what the groove spacing is?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 04/28/09 at 18:17:55

I don't know the pitch, depth or spacing.  The machinists do.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/28/09 at 22:44:09

Well, do you remember if its more closely spaced than the original?

This certainly qualifies as a modification. I hope its set wider than OEM specs. & IF it is, I hope you cam chain lasts noticeably longer than what a few of us have seen.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 04/28/09 at 23:20:50

They cut it identical to the stocker.  I could always take it out an file down every other or every third groove to space them out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/28/09 at 23:39:58

Yea, but I wouldnt just go in unless you have a reason. Next time Im in there I plan on cutting every other one out.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 04/29/09 at 12:11:24

DJ,

What are the steps for replacing the tensioner?  I've got one coming and want to get it in for precautionary reasons when I open up the clutch cover to have a 'look-see'...(I've also got a new cam chain coming soon as well).  Which gears on that side of the engine need to be removed and what size socket do they take?  I like to have all the tools I need beforehand so I don't make unnecessary trips back and forth to the hardware store.  Also does the clutch pack need to be removed?  TIA

-Matt

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/29/09 at 12:51:24

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #13 - 04/29/09 at 12:56:53

Yep, listen to Verslagen.  He's the undisputed guru when it comes to this stuff.  I used those instructions as well.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 05/02/09 at 10:41:42

Installing the new extended tensioner took out some of the chain noise.  I was a little concerned about how smooth the grooves and the spring-loaded catch were working when I put it in.  The action seemed to be a little tight.  So this morning I took it out and hit the grooves just a tad with a the 90 degree corner of a file.  Before I put it back in I snugged a wire tie around the chain guides to take the slack out of the chain, reinstalled the new plunger,, which felt like it operated smoother.  I then put the bike back together.  The metallic chain sound is gone now.  I guess it amazes me how quickly the sound developed over a two week period when I was running with the final Kamikaze intake design.  I've been running with the K&N filter since then and I'm kind of hesitant to put the Kamikaze intake back on.  It seems like the extra power/torque I was enjoying with the Kamikaze intake did something that quickly brought on the chain noise and pushed the stock plunger out 16mm.  I just turned 1400 miles on this bike that I bought new 10 months ago.  I'll keep an eye on Odvelasc and see if he develops any issues after he gained noticeable power with his carb swap.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:47:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New machined cam chain adjuster extensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.