SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Towing
04/23/09 at 07:31:44

Not towing with the bike... But towing the bike.

I'm looking for a low cost trailer that'll haul the bike around. I'm thinking for long trips where we have too much to pack (the girlfriend always seems to overpack - plus we've got our puppy to take along now)... But, those places I'd like to have the bike around to use too.

I know that my Jeep will pull a small trailer with the weight of the Savage without any problems. Anyone have any suggestions? Just a regular flat bed trailer would do? Or... Do you recommend the bike trailers that I've seen?

A guy down the street from my house has a very small flatbed trailer with a little hook for the front wheel to hold in. I want to check with him to see where he picked it up at.

I found this at Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92174

The price seems right, I should be able to get a drop hitch so that I could tow that without any issues on the Jeep, and it looks like it's pretty simple to put together.

Compared to this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65890

In addition... If I went with the first trailer, I could also pack extra stuff in the back, where the motorcycle trailer would only hold the bike.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Towing
Reply #1 - 04/23/09 at 08:09:35

I love the first trailer you linked to. There is a problem though. Let me explain.

I bought a small 4'X4' trailer kit on a fall closeout sale up here in MN for about $100.00. 8" tires and rated at a 1,000# load range. I originally bought it to tow behind the Savage 'cause it only weighs a hundred pounds with a plywood floor bolted on. It also works great for towing the bike.

Here's the problem part. You need almost 7' of length to put the bike on. I solved the problem by bolting a 7' 2"X8" up the middle of the trailer bed. Take it off and it's a flat trailer, put it on and it's a bike hauler. I got the bike kit for the trailer, but it was for dirt bikes and was too narrow for the back tire. So I bent the walls out on the back piece. You can go to a sport bike shop and pick up a metal tubular front wheel stop to bolt to the front of whatever you use and just tie the rear tire down.

If the trailer you linked to has a 3" or so tongue length there won't be enough bed length to park the bike on. And if you do the 2'X8' idea you'll have the bike hanging off the back which will make the front of the trailer  too light on the hitch unless you put some weight up front as well. And you would have to leave the tailgate down. If you backed the bike onto the trailer that would probably solve the weight problem, but you still would need to do something about that gate.

There could be hope though. In the picture it looks like the trailer is bolted together. You might could take the front wall off when you haul the bike which would let you center the bikes weight over the trailer wheels. Get a 7' 2"X8" and you could be in business.

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/23/09 at 09:45:44

Being a Jeep, you have at least one more option.  The weight of the savage allows use of the dirt bike rails that just bolt on to the bumper.  Of course I'd reinforce it.  That and hitch mounted rack and you'd be stylin'.

WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #3 - 04/23/09 at 11:58:42

Thanks guys. I didn't measure the bike to see how long I would need, so thanks for the figures on that. The product manual says the "main frame" is 71 5/8 L x 49 W - So that's only about 6' long... It does bolt together though, so I could probably remove the front and fabricate something to hold the front tire in place, futher than what it would allow for in it's stock form.

I really like the idea of using a trailer instead of the dirt bike rails and stuff. Only because hauling a trailer would allow more stuff to be packed on there leaving more comfort room inside the Jeep for the ride.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 04/23/09 at 12:04:24

I found this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94564

The only thing I like about the first one I linked is that there are sides and the backing (which would be nice to ride up on the trailer). This one tilts back which would be nice, but there's no surrounds and it would cost extra to cover it in plywood.

And then you get into this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93747 and it just gets expensive... And I still have to cover with plywood.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #5 - 04/23/09 at 12:30:50

If you get the 3rd one you posted be dang sure to go around and tighten all the bolts. Also may want to reinforce various areas on it with a welder or more metal. It tends to rock side to side. Also on my dads one of the fenders went missing on the return home trip from Sturgis. Hope to heck wherever it went that no one hit it.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/23/09 at 14:26:58

I got one of those tilt 4X8 trailers from Harbor Freight. Totally satisfied.
To put a stout base in cheap, go to Lowes or Home Depot & sort thru their oak 3/4 ply. Its way expensive, till you get over 1/2 off. Hunt thru it for damaged pieces. I put a crappy piece of 3/8ths on top of my 3/4 oak, so when the floor gets scraped up it wont be my strength, just the facade.I can toss another chunk of 3/8ths down easy enough when this one goes bad. I worked hard on mine,building brackets & sideboards that can be taken off & the lock together with pins, so the sides are stable going down the road. For the $$$ I have in it, its a heck of a little trailer & has hauled a few nice loads. Its good to 1,450 pounds.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #7 - 04/23/09 at 16:20:22

Here's my 2 cents worth, so take it at that value. Grin  You could go with the first trailer http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92174  use the 2x8 or a light piece of angle iron to make an incline that goes on top of and past the front rail, so you can still close the endgate.  And then optionally bolt one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96349 to the front to help hold the front wheel.  And ditto for checking the bolts and possibly reinforcing things on any of the trailers.  Harbor Freight has cool stuff, cheap; but it's exactly that, so buyer beware.  Curious to see what ya come up with.

Sun's out, so time to ride, cheers! Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #8 - 04/23/09 at 16:53:07

TUFFGUY
I ended up buying a 5' by 8' trailer from Tractor Supply. It's rated at 1750lbs and has 13inch wheels. I've towed in behind both the pickup and the SUV,pulls great. The small trailers like the Harbor Freight models are a tight fit for one bike, let alone any more.I tried a bike on the  HF  model, like the first one you had,the rear fender was almost against the gate. Too close for me. I think I paid $500.00 for the Tractor Supply Model.
Good luck on what ever you choose.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/23/09 at 20:16:51

Jimmer wrote on 04/23/09 at 16:53:07:
TUFFGUY
I ended up buying a 5' by 8' trailer from Tractor Supply. It's rated at 1750lbs and has 13inch wheels. I've towed in behind both the pickup and the SUV,pulls great. The small trailers like the Harbor Freight models are a tight fit for one bike, let alone any more.I tried a bike on the  HF  model, like the first one you had,the rear fender was almost against the gate. Too close for me. I think I paid $500.00 for the Tractor Supply Model.
Good luck on what ever you choose.

Awwww, Maaaan! I gotta go have a look at those. I have close, if not more than, $500.00 in mine & a load of time. & Yes, 1 bike is a load. A smallish 4 wheeler absolutely fills it. I wish I had checked tractor supply.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #10 - 04/24/09 at 05:08:44

Thanks Jimmer. I'll have to check a TSC... I know there's one around here somewhere.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #11 - 04/24/09 at 08:15:39

Tuff Guy
There is a TSC on route 22 east of Harrisburg. Address is 7150 Allentown Blvd. Hope this helps. Just checked same trailer is now $599.99 on their website.

IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #12 - 04/29/09 at 11:02:06

One word..... Craigslist.com

I should have a 6.5 x 12 trailer, 15" rims, 3500lb axle, and a 5-6 foot metal ramp with a wood floor on the trailer.....

Price expected to pay....$625

I expect to get 3-5 bikes on this trailer behind my Odyssey for the next trip south to FL.......

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #13 - 04/29/09 at 12:35:13

I've been keeping my eyes on Craiglist too... Haven't found anything that's close to me, that's just a standard utility trailer for a good price. Everyone has big enclosed trailers, which I don't need/want.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 05:30:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Towing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.