Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got my Ed L. forward controls installed (Read 663 times)
PTRider

Got my Ed L. forward controls installed
04/22/09 at 20:28:32

First, thanks to Ed L. for developing and selling the forward controls.  The 4" forward extension makes things more comfortable for me.Smiley
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1202177312/0

Installing the controls is a moderately difficult job.  It'll go OK for anyone with patience, ability to follow instructions, and the ability to figure out how to make things fit.

The plates were mill finish aluminum with rough cut edges.  I (very carefully) rounded the edges on my router table with a 1/8" carbide roundover bit using very slow feed and very, very shallow depth of cut.  I put a piece of crocus cloth in my palm sander and smoothed the outside faces, then polished them on a buffing wheel.

The right side plate was hard up against the exhaust pipe and didn't match the mounting bolt.  I had to cut away about 3/16" of the plate to clear the exhaust and meet the lower mounting bolt, plus about an 1/8"  cut  away in the notch so the footpeg nut would clear.  By the way, coat any cutting tools intended for steel with kerosene or silicone lube so the aluminum doesn't load them up right away.

The left side plate needed the two holes drilled out a 64th oversize so the 10mm through bolts would pass.  Both the right side bolt for the brake cable bracket and the cross brace were too short for the threads to engage the nylon in the lock nuts.  The shifter rod threads worked OK, but were ragged.  Either the dies were dull, or the initial cut was too deep, or cutting oil was lacking.  I had to chamfer the end of the upper through bolt so it would slide back through the engine case.  I didn't need all the 15 washers on the list, and the instruction to put the bolt into the brake cable mounting bracket should have had the bolt installed before the cables were in the bracket.  Installing the clip for the brake light cable on the outside of the pin vs. the inside as shown results in a straighter pull on the cable.  I'd like the brake lever to be a bit more upright, and may have to use the acetylene wrench to get that.  And, I'd like to keep metric things all metric, not mix metric and fraction nuts.

So, yes, I'd do it again, and I like the result for my long legs. Smiley

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Got my Ed L. forward controls installed
Reply #1 - 04/23/09 at 05:41:52

I ran into many of the snags you mention of as well.  I also ran into a bigger snag, as it appeared my Savage has been wrecked before I got it.  The lower engine mount thru bolt was bent pretty badly after I whacked it out with a BFH.  I had to trim the outside of both plates so they wouldnt get in the way of the case bolts and I also had to elongate the left side plate mounting holes so they would line up.  The left lower engine mounts were pushed back approx. 1/4" from what I would guess would have been a pretty hard hit on something.  I had to smack the lower engine mount bolt thru with an 8 lb sledge hammer!!  I wrapped the threads with thread tape so they wouldnt get all boogered up going thru the engine mount.  It all turned out ok and I'm very pleased with the results but a 3-4 hour job turned into a 2 week job!  

-Matt

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 04/23/09 at 12:42:46

Sent my money order to Ed this week, did everyone experience these snags or just a select few. My mouthed drop when Ed wrote saying it should take me 5-6 hrs to install depending on mechanical skills!!  Shocked
Not sure if I'm looking forward to this anymore.  Undecided

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 04/23/09 at 13:04:19

No offense meant to Ed who is actually providing a very good service with his forward controls. But the few hick-ups that some are experiencing is why I built my own. So I could measure them specifically for the FireLizard. Unfortunately, there are small differences in frame tolerances even if the bikes were build in the same batch. Sometimes the tolerances are negligible, sometimes not. It has nothing to do with the quality of Ed's product which I hear is very high.

But no, everyone is not having the same problems, it is just a few.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 04/23/09 at 13:27:18

Mine went on just fine.  The instructions were great.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 04/23/09 at 13:30:04

less than 3 hours for my install...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 04/23/09 at 14:10:43

I sent my check this week I will let you know how mine go on.  I hope I get the easy to install ones! Smiley

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #7 - 04/23/09 at 14:13:57

Mine went on fine with a little finagling, but nothing major. Took one Saturday afternoon.

IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 04/23/09 at 16:58:49

Prechermike I'm with you on this one. Have my fingers crossed!

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #9 - 04/23/09 at 16:58:55

DID MINE IN ABOUT THREE HOURS. JUST FOLLOW ED"S INSTRUCTIONS AND IT WILL GO FINE.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #10 - 04/23/09 at 18:58:04

NewThumperGuy wrote on 04/23/09 at 12:42:46:
Sent my money order to Ed this week, did everyone experience these snags or just a select few. My mouthed drop when Ed wrote saying it should take me 5-6 hrs to install depending on mechanical skills!!  Shocked
Not sure if I'm looking forward to this anymore.  Undecided

My Universal Laws---
---Nothing is as easy as it looks.
---Most half-hour jobs take ninety minutes.

Be patient.  Look everything over closely.  Study Ed's photos he sends with the kit and the Chilton manual photos he refers to...print them if you choose.  Lay things out in logical order.  Get your tools ready.  Do put the 1" long bolt (not 3/4") through the brake cable bracket before you put the cables into the slots, contrary to Ed's instructions.  Find a local hardware store or fastener supplier (nuts & bolts) for the list of fasteners in Ed's instructions.  Buy a new 1/16" diameter x 3/4" long cotter pin for the brake cable keeper.  If something really does not fit, contact this forum, or Ed, or a friend who's a craftsman about what to do.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/23/09 at 21:55:45

Not too troublesome an install. Ed's instructions are great, and it took me about 5 hours to do. I don't have the greatest mechanical ability, so I count that as not too bad. Good quality product.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - 04/24/09 at 05:17:59

Well after reading all the replies I'm breathing easier again  Grin
Thanks to all.

PTrider thx to you for your input, where do I find this Chilton manual??

If I was to eliminate Kick stand safety on this install, what do I have to do?

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #13 - 04/24/09 at 05:59:29

NewGuy

I got a Clymer manuel, which I think is more motorcycle specific, Chiltons is more for cars and trucks.  I order mine from ebay, but you can get them at some parts stores, especially where they sell motorcycle parts.  

I have an 87 bike and the book i bought was for the early years, not that that matters.  It was used but I have added my own greasy fingerprints as well.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 04/24/09 at 06:03:55

If I was to eliminate Kick stand safety on this install, what do I have to do? [/quote]

tye the two wires together from the bike side
i extended the wires on mine and  am still training mysef to keep my heel from hittin the stand and killin the engine Roll Eyes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:15:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got my Ed L. forward controls installed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.