Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got my Ed L. forward controls installed (Read 663 times)
PTRider

Re: Got my Ed L. forward controls installed
Reply #15 - 04/24/09 at 07:39:33

Yeah, Clymer
http://www.myacrobatpdf.com/2122/suzuki-ls-650-savage-86-a-04---service-manua...

Ed's instructions have us eliminate the sidestand safety.  The two wires are twisted together and taped.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 04/24/09 at 08:30:40

Having just done Ed's 4" forward controls on mine, I can say that all I had to do was undo the factory wire ties holding the side stand wiring to the frame and up through the side of the engine and I was easily able to extend the factory wiring keeping the side stand switch functional.  You do have to take off the front pully cover but it's only 3 bolts.  Be careful though cuz the bolts only go in 1 way and are different lengths.  

I prolly had another inch or two on the wiring when I undid all the wire ties for the record!

-Matt

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #17 - 04/24/09 at 16:48:32

Well everyone, first I'm sorry about some of the kits that haven't be just right, I will replace any part that doesn't fit. I've added some quality control checks with the last two batches, Matt got the last one of three batches ago and I offered to recut or replace his set, yeah it seems it wasn't right, I ended up reworking my templates to get it corrected after some PM's with Matt. I've also replaced that bad die that was giving the rough threads on the shifter rod. I need to thank everybody who has let me know about the problems that they have encountered, i can't make improvements if I don't know that it's not right. Ride Safe
Ed

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #18 - 04/24/09 at 18:25:44

Ed I did mine this morning and I did encounter a few little snap-foos but nothing real major.  On the right hand side my bracket was trimmed down to where it needed to be but i just got the bolts in and made it work.  That and the cross brace, i put everything  back together and then i realized i'd forgot the said cross brace.... Tongue  duh so i had to take the right side real loose but i got it in there.  All in all for a kit that Ed L makes up in his garage I was really really impressed.  High quality parts and the instructions can be a little confussing but after you get all the pieaces out and look them all over they'll make alot more sense.  Only took me about 2 hours including my tard attack with the cross brace.

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 04/24/09 at 20:07:03

I was very impressed with Ed's forward controls as well as his 'customer service'  Wink...I ended up trimming the outside edges of my brackets as well as some other custom mods on my behalf...seems the left side stock bracket was kinda bent from a crash by the PO  Angry

I got mine installed and they are awesome!!  Thanks so much Ed, and I highly recommend these to anyone interested in forward controls.

-Matt

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #20 - 04/25/09 at 17:54:59

Someone post a pic of the controls with the crossbrace. I got a VERY early set from Ed. 3/4 thick aluminum. I've never needed a brace but would like to see the effect.

Thaks,

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #21 - 04/26/09 at 14:52:52

clueless-FSO wrote on 04/25/09 at 17:54:59:
Someone post a pic of the controls with the crossbrace. I got a VERY early set from Ed. 3/4 thick aluminum. I've never needed a brace but would like to see the effect.

Thaks,

Jim

Here yah go, it ain't much just a pieace of threaded rod from what i can see with a small section of PVC around it, correct me if I'm wrong Ed.

Cool

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #22 - 04/26/09 at 20:11:17

The crossbrace is a piece of 3/8" tubing the length to fit just right between the plates.  A piece of 3/8-16 all-thread the right length to fit all the way through and protrude slightly beyond the ends of the nuts, a bit under 14".  As you see in Nix's photo, the threaded rod to too short to engage the nylon locking part of the nuts and isn't as secure as it could be.

My plates are 1/4" aluminum.  3/4" would be really stout!

*3/8" inside diameter (ID) and about 1/2" OD.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #23 - 04/28/09 at 18:09:27

My controls (and my savage compaion CD) came yesterday.  All I had time to do was look at them yesterday.  But today . . .

I got metric bolts in stainless to put my stuff on.  I really like the idea of it all being metric as opposed to having to have two sets of wrenches.  A small thing, I know, butthat is just me.  I go 10 mm and they fit fint.

It took me about five hours to put them on.  But I had to stop for supper and the first hour I spent getting down, then up and waking to the shop to get my tools then walking back and getting down and getting up and, well you get the picture.  (I will be glad to get my shop cleaned out, but it is too much fun riding and there is too much other stuff to do.)

I got a set that were pretty easy to put on, just a couple of hitches, but nothing that I couldn't figure out.  I do suggest looking at the pictures first to make sure you know which way is up.  I did have to adjust the gear shift and I need to adjust the brake, but the exhaust was too hot to mess around.  I will take care of that tomorrow.  Oh, boy, she rides like an easy chair now!

Highly recommended.  Ed sells a good product and shipping was super fast.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #24 - 04/29/09 at 05:13:02

Oh yeah, I also rewired the sidestand to work as well.  It was simple enough to splice a wire in, solder and heat shrink it.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #25 - 04/29/09 at 17:53:38

Update!

I rode about 70 miles today and the forward controls really make alot of difference for me.  I highly reccommend them.
Cheesy

prechermike   IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #26 - 05/05/09 at 18:04:17

Well I received my set today, can u say fast!!! Guess they were eager to get to me.  Grin
Looking forward to seeing how smooth (or not) the install goes.
Off to gather the hardware tomorrow that I'll need for the controls and my bike stand. Will post my results.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #27 - 05/09/09 at 20:07:23

Mission complete!!  Grin

It took some time, patience and a little reworking but I got them on. To anyone else wanting to install these I cant stress enough go slow and read the directions from Ed carefully. They look good, the stretch felt nice although I could not get a good feel since my seat was off for recovering. Hope to finish the seat so I can take her out for a test ride.
Thanks Ed L.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #28 - 05/10/09 at 05:02:38

Last year when we (the dragon ride Riders) where getting ready, I got a set from Ed.  When he got to my place, he put them on.  I think watching him do it, I think it was about 90 minutes.  Just the day before, I did a look around at a H-D stealership and sat on a Sportster.  With the forward controls, the Savage sits like a Sporty.  Much longer feeling....

My wifey likes them too and she is 5'5"

T

Because I can!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #29 - 05/10/09 at 07:33:43

For reference- I'm 6' tall with 32" inseam.  I have the seat modded to where the rider position is about 2.5" lower than with a stock, onmodded seat.  With the 4" controls and my stock peg mod my upper legs (knees to hip) are horizontal to the ground which is perfect for me.  If my seat was stock I imagine my knees would be about an 2" lower than my hips.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:31:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got my Ed L. forward controls installed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.