Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
first time rider, first bike, first post (Read 288 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
first time rider, first bike, first post
04/20/09 at 17:08:09

hey how's everybody doing? my name's Rocco, almost 21 & just bought my first bike....a '95 savage with 7000 miles on it..the best part of my bike(besides looking like a classic) is that it snorts & rips & growls as opposed 2 my friend's inline 4's that are silent.

i've been riding for about a week, goin 2 take the 3 day course & get my license here soon. i've always been a muscle car freak but there is just something about 2 wheels that is different. i've never ridden 4 wheelers or dirt bikes, and not even bicycles really so i am starting from scratch.

it's taken a little while 2 get used 2 the controls going from foot in cars to hands on the bike but i'm addicted....2 day was my first real crash actually...couple of dings in the tank messed up tail light and chewed up the left peg...along with my arm but it's a lesson indeed.

i've heard that the savage is very reliable and sometimes claimed as bulletproof....i was wondering how many of u have dropped it or laid it down and how tough it really is....

and aside from that, i look 4ward to checking out the previous posts and reading thumper stories!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Re: first time rider, first bike, first post
Reply #1 - 04/20/09 at 17:12:42

Welcome! I've laid mine over as many on here have, and she'll take a beating, but as long as you take care of her she'll be you're best friend.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 04/20/09 at 17:50:49

Congrats on the purchase! I'm looking for a second one myself. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #3 - 04/20/09 at 18:04:27

Cool beans! Congrats!

I to am a new rider, and recently purchased an '02 i totally agree with your vision of the bike lol.

I had to take the BAsic Rider course to get endorsment on license.
Before i took that i would ride around the neighborhood in fear of police (they are ruthless here) Im sure you know living in south FL, im from central FL, seminole county. Anyway after taking that course i felt 10 times more confident about riding the bike, learned a lot about handling and riding techniques, controls,  along with safe riding also. Even expirienced riders i talked to said the learned stuff too.

The Savage is my new passion in life haha. Good luck and hope you enjoy the bike as much i am!

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #4 - 04/20/09 at 22:08:07

and if you do dump it im sure one of us can set you up with cheap replacement parts!!

Congrats and welcome to the forum!!!!

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/20/09 at 22:42:48

Congrats on your bike, and welcome to the group.
I've put almost 10,000 miles on mine in the first year, and I have to say I love this bike more than all the others I've owned. It's fun, verstile, and just plain gets the job done. Couple that with the relative low ownership costs, and you've got a bike that is hard to beat.
Read RSD, get a CLymers, take the MSF course, not necessarily in that order, and you'll do fine.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #6 - 04/21/09 at 06:09:58

Welcome to the Savage Nation.
Ride Strong,Ride Proud, and Ride Safe.
There is great advice on this site, don't be afraid to ask questions and use this knowledge.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 04/21/09 at 06:48:00

Best advice I can give you is that you WILL lay your first bike down at some point.  99.9% of riders do.  Our bike is very reliable and will treat you right as long as you treat it right!  

Second best piece of advice I can give you is to browse the Tech. section on here and comprise a decent set of tools from the many posts under the Table of Contents at the top.  Shops usually charge $80-$90 per hour labor on usually simple jobs that the average shadetree mechanic can easily complete (with the right tools).  i.e.- I just completed the "Head Plug/Cap seal in about 2 hours and going slowly.  The part alone was $6 from the dealer.  When I called about a month ago to get an estimate for the job, they quoted me $400!!!  Told me it would be a 4 hour job, including parts and shop disposables.  Out-freakin-rageous if you ask me.  

Third piece of advice I can give you is to enjoy it!  It's made to be ridden!

-matt

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #8 - 04/21/09 at 07:21:58

Congrats!

For the foot pegs on my first bike ever (99 savage), I un bolted them, took the rubber off, hammered the mofos straight, and reassembled. Be prepared to bend up the signals straight once in a while. That course will teach you a ton, well worth the money.

When filling up at the gas station, make sure your bike is in neutral when ya start it. Smiley lol bad memories.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 04/21/09 at 12:14:28

thanks for all the advice! i honestly didn't think anyone would respond!

i am definately taking the safety course, will absolutely take care of her(oil and maitenance) and i do know how the cops are down here! i ride my neighborhood all day and behind a shopping mall @ night...no cops so far!

yesterday when i posted my first, i had just hit a bunch of "decorative" stones going about 35...bike came off the ground and i landed on my left side. got alot of road burn and tore myself up a little bit. i study martial arts so i went with the fall and came out ok. my friend who's a mechanic came over and checked out the bike "hammer the peg str8, and she's good 2 go" i need a new clutch assembly eventually but he then goes "u could light this thing on fire, and if u put it out in time u could still ride her" lol i thought that was comforting....oh yeah and i blew the left rear blinker bulb....so nothing too major...i love her though!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 04/21/09 at 16:03:12

Huzzah! and welcome! I also have a '95. Great little bike, sorry to hear about your little scuffle. Hope you didn't hurt each other much.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 04/21/09 at 16:39:06

I'm the .1% that has never laid a motorcycle down,in almost 40 years and a bunch of different motorcycles,Included my brother too on the .1% he also started when I did,and my wife road for 9 years,she was also in the .1%.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ThumpinD
YaBB Newbies

Hey!  Off the
Paint!!!

Reply #12 - 04/21/09 at 18:33:27

I've had my 98 just short of a year now,  and it runs nearly perfect.  two weeks ago I wrecked hard enough to snap my right peg in half, grind the peg mount nuts down to nubs, and break the mirror off with my leg on the way over the bars! My bike was still running after I came out of the cloud and  figured out where I was, and I was able to ride it back home!  These bikes are tough as hell, just watch out for spoiled rich people in giant SUV's [smiley=wink.gif

Almost forgot!  A buddy's wire feed welder, and grinder  can work wonders on a broken peg if your in a pinch Smiley

IP Logged
Rotten_Robbie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/22/09 at 00:26:23

Congrats on your Bike! You have a great outlook about your first crash! Wink My first wreck was on my VTR interceptor back in 91. But I jumped back up, got right back on and still ride today. Just not as fast. To date I have wrecked two cars and two bikes... oh and a C70 Passport scooter Wink
"Cheers!!!"

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 04/22/09 at 03:34:14

Congrats on the Bike and surviving your 1st scrape ... Welcome aboard!

Now GO TAKE THAT MOTORCYCLE TRAINING COURSE!! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:35:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › first time rider, first bike, first post

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.