Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
first time rider, first bike, first post (Read 288 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: first time rider, first bike, first post
Reply #15 - 04/22/09 at 03:46:54

We never did a motorcycle training course.Never had drivers training for car ,Never been in a accident.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #16 - 04/22/09 at 05:52:03

the course is the best thing you can do.  Smiley

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #17 - 04/22/09 at 06:01:45

bill67 wrote on 04/22/09 at 03:46:54:
 We never did a motorcycle training course.Never had drivers training for car ,Never been in a accident.

Bill, it is a wonder that some of us survived at all.  I took driver's ed, but had driven enough tractors, mowers, trucks and so forth that I knew what I was doing.  I have oftene thought how I made it without kindergarten, car seats, those plastic things in the outlets and the soft cover for the bathtub spout.  We rode in momma or daddy's lap, sometimes behind the steering wheel!  We carried pocketknives everywhere, yes even to school and never cut our finger off or anyone else's for that matter.  I guess times were simpler then or maybe people are simpler now! Wink

I would take the MSC if it was offered at a time I could fit it in, but otherwise I am going to ride and be careful and watch out for everyone else.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 04/22/09 at 06:17:49

We didn't have sex courses in school when I went to school,But some how with a lot of playing around we learned how.Twenty years ago my nephew took his 22 rifle to school put it in his locker,rode home on the school bus to his friends house to hunt,with the gun on the school bus in open sight,I sure you couldn't do that to day.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 04/22/09 at 06:40:28

Yup, times have def. changed!

Taking the MSF course was the best thing I've done so far.  I learned so many in's and out's of riding in that 3 day course.  The main thing I learned which is totally different than a car, is that on a motorcycle, you're supposed to ride the clutch.  It's not going to do any damage to it while riding it and controlling the speed of the bike in low speed scenarios since it's in an oil bath.  That concept is totally different in a stick shift car.  The idea in a car is to keep off the clutch as much as possible for risk of smoking it!  I had no idea about this, and after learning this trick, it makes riding-especially at slow speeds MUCH easier!!  

-Matt

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #20 - 04/22/09 at 10:02:51

i thought i was the only one! i've driven with friends and smelt the clutch burn! that imprinted in my head to get off the clutch! which i've learned is the opposite on motorcycles....i've been told the savage has a high 1st gear and is very torquey making it impossible to "get off the clutch" unless you're already going!

they really are 2 different worlds(cars and bikes) right down to the riding experience. i've been taking my bike out @ night now(less traffic and more open parking lots) and working on starting/stopping and small u turns...which are alot harder then they look!

last night after i rode i went home(mind u i don't have a garage) and i hooked up a spotlight and my friend came over while i wiped her down, tightened the loose mirrors...and attempted 2 remove the stuck tail light...it's going to take some coercing as it's in there pretty good. i'd like 2 put new tail light assemblies when i'm a little more comfortable. i also need 2 replace of have a key made for my fork lock....which has a different key then the tank and ignition...is that for all savages?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #21 - 04/22/09 at 12:25:11

Rocco wrote on 04/22/09 at 10:02:51:
i also need 2 replace of have a key made for my fork lock....which has a different key then the tank and ignition...is that for all savages?

I think that is right for all the savages.  I used my fork lock a few times and then quit.  It got be a hassel to get on the bike, start it up, buckle my helmet, and then have to turn the bike off becuase I forgot to unlock the fork.  I read somewhere on here the savage is the least stolen bike anyway and I think a me and another friend could pick it up and put it in the back of a truck.  Besides, that made for one less key on my ring.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
LazyLemming
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/22/09 at 12:41:25

prechermike wrote on 04/22/09 at 12:25:11:
I think a me and another friend could pick it up and put it in the back of a truck.  Besides, that made for one less key on my ring.

That's one of the very things I'm loving about this bike, it's cake to get into my S10, and light enough the 4 cylinder truck hauls it around effortlessly.

IP Logged
Scottler

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saratoga County, NY
Reply #23 - 04/22/09 at 16:43:07

Welcome!  I was also a new rider last year, and bought my first bike, which just happened to be a Savage....now I'm here just because I love the bike.

It's great a for a new rider, and apparently the experienced guys swear by it too!

I've never (knock on wood) truly put her down, but when doing some preliminary "training" in the back yard with the grass safety net, I did sorta fall over.  I discovered that whenever I tried to brake, I was hitting the throttle just a little bit.  Did it at a time when my wheel happened to be cocked to the left and over I went onto the grass.  What a dummy I felt like!

Welcome aboard!  I love this site, and I'm sure you will as well.

Ride safe!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:18:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › first time rider, first bike, first post

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.