Should I call TAPS? (Read 312 times)
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lauro de Freitas-Bahia-Brazil
Should I call TAPS?
04/20/09 at 08:11:07

First let me quickly introdude myself and my bike: 50, french born, brazilian (bahia) resident for more than 25 years, so please forgive my english. Bought a 2000 ls-650 in august 2007 with less than 17000 km. It now shows 50.000.
Today something weird happenned: the bike tried to start by itself and kept trying until I took of the seat and loosen the wires. There was no key on the bike, and switching on/off had no effect. The start button seemed to be moving normaly. As I was late to work and tomorrow is holiday I did not investigate anything. I can only say that at first sight I could not see any nude wire. IŽd appreciate any hint from the experts on where I should start the investigation.
TIA
Andre

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Should I call TAPS?
Reply #1 - 04/20/09 at 08:24:28

Check the solenoid (starter relay).  It is the large black object bolted to the rear fendor just behind the airbox.  You can see it after you pull off the seat.  It has 4 wires.  2 thick ones (to the battery and to the starter).  2 small ones (to control the relay).
It sounds like the solenoid has gotten jammed in the closed position.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 04/20/09 at 08:46:31

My virago did it, when running down the highway @80 mph. Never even heard it till I slowed to ~35 to get the exit.
Burnt the starter ... to a crisp.
However much of the rest survived with only minimal damage.
The problem turned out to be a bad diode (in their words) but I call it a dead end plug. It plugs into the wiring harness has 3 inches of wires and ends in a rubber cap. That itself is stupid enough ... but the metal of the wires are poking through the moulded rubber encasing it. The thing has a idiotic cap on it, and if it were to take in water inbetween the cap and the rubber ... it will short one thing to another ...
If like in my case the cap slid out and the mounded rubber hit the frame ... it will ground any circuit you're unlucky enough to ground.
Starter may be the worst ...
Anyway I would look into some crap like that in the savage ... though I've not seen one in my 80's savages ... newer may have it, euro/South american bikes may have em ... no idea.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/20/09 at 08:51:34

JOG2 told us there is a wire in the decomp circuit that when supplied 12v will turn the starter on without starting it..  Look at the 'wont go' thread.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/20/09 at 09:13:24

Ohh, Itll start it if the ignition is on, but even iggy off, itll turn it over.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/20/09 at 10:31:13

IŽll do It. Thanks.
verslagen1 wrote on 04/20/09 at 08:51:34:
JOG2 told us there is a wire in the decomp circuit that when supplied 12v will turn the starter on without starting it..  Look at the 'wont go' thread.

IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/20/09 at 10:46:18

I forgot to say that untill yesterday I had the feeling that I should need to buy a new battery shortly because it was weak to start the engine and almost did not respond anymore after 3rd or 4th shot. Surprisingly today it lasted running the start motor at full steam continuously for around 3 mn until the motor burnt out. And even after the black smoke escaped from the motor and it stopped rotating there still had energy. There was a "tictictic" noise that did not  stop until I wired off.
Andre

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/20/09 at 12:20:43

Which fuse blows that shuts the starter down? If a guy put a switch in to short that fuse, he could have an Emergency Kill & maybe save a starter motor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 04/20/09 at 12:24:58

The starter motor circuit does not have a fuse.  From battery to solenoid to starter, and that's it.
However, an emergency disconnect switch on the line between the battery and solenoid might be an idea.  It would need mounted so you could get to it quick though, and it would need to handle some pretty hefty amps.
Hmm.. could also put it between the solenoid and the starter.  Right where the lead goes into the starter.  That would be the best place IMHO.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/20/09 at 12:31:59

Theres a battery cut off switch at Harbor Freight for about $6.00.
I was hoping for a way to use a smaller, easier to install switch & have it readily accessible from a riding position.
Couldnt a guy put a switch inline with one of the solenoid control wires?
I would rather fuse it & put a switch in to short & blow the fuse, that way the switch couldnt corrode up & have a fail to start, but it would possible make the start kill fail that way. Ahhhh, questions,questions

IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/20/09 at 12:46:49

No fuse, I think the motor hung. justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/20/09 at 12:20:43:
Which fuse blows that shuts the starter down? If a guy put a switch in to short that fuse, he could have an Emergency Kill & maybe save a starter motor.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/20/09 at 13:31:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/20/09 at 12:31:59:
Theres a battery cut off switch at Harbor Freight for about $6.00.
I was hoping for a way to use a smaller, easier to install switch & have it readily accessible from a riding position.
Couldnt a guy put a switch inline with one of the solenoid control wires?
I would rather fuse it & put a switch in to short & blow the fuse, that way the switch couldnt corrode up & have a fail to start, but it would possible make the start kill fail that way. Ahhhh, questions,questions

Putting a switch in the control circuit won't do any good if the solenoid freezes in the "closed" position.  That can be caused by the contacts arcing, and welding themselves closed.  Is that common? probably not, but the only sure way to remove power from the starter will be to put a heavy switch right on it.
The absolute easiest solution would be a quick disconnect - just a connector of some kind - right before the starter.  Doesn't have to be a switch, just something water proof.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/21/09 at 06:30:22

Assuming this is the problem, how can I get the solenoid back to open position? Is it possible to get jammed by itself while the bike has been stopped during whole night?
Andre
youzguyz wrote on 04/20/09 at 08:24:28:
Check the solenoid (starter relay).  It is the large black object bolted to the rear fendor just behind the airbox.  You can see it after you pull off the seat.  It has 4 wires.  2 thick ones (to the battery and to the starter).  2 small ones (to control the relay).

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #13 - 04/21/09 at 07:26:41

That tictictic sound and the issues you're having sounds similar to mine when the starter solenoid went on mine. The easiest solution was to replace it (cost me about $10-20 USD).

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 04/21/09 at 09:08:18

Tropical Savage wrote on 04/21/09 at 06:30:22:
Assuming this is the problem, how can I get the solenoid back to open position? Is it possible to get jammed by itself while the bike has been stopped during whole night?
Andre
youzguyz wrote on 04/20/09 at 08:24:28:

First, you need to make sure the solenoid is jammed.  You will need a multi-meter.
Unhook all the wires from the solenoid.  Measure the resistance between the 2 large connectors.  It should show OPEN if it is not jammed.  If it shows SHORTED(closed), then it is jammed shut.  Even if you DO fix that by lightly hitting it, I would NOT use it in the bike again.  Odds are the contacts inside are damaged and will tend to jam again.
Buy a new one.

You asked if it jammed by itself.  I doubt it.  When did it start this behavior?  Did you just try to start it? and the starter would not stop spinning?  I have a hard time believing you were just standing there and it started spinning on it's own!
When this occurs, it normally happens right when the starter switch is pressed.  The surge of current through the solenoid to the starter can arc the contacts and "weld" them together.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 05:32:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Should I call TAPS?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.