Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lauro de Freitas-Bahia-Brazil
Re: Should I call TAPS?
Reply #15 - 04/21/09 at 09:41:16

youzguyz wrote on 04/21/09 at 09:08:18:
You asked if it jammed by itself.  I doubt it.  When did it start this behavior?  Did you just try to start it? and the starter would not stop spinning?  I have a hard time believing you were just standing there and it started spinning on it's own!

That's why I started the thread as "Should I call TAPS?". Sounds unbelievable but there was not anybody close to the bike when the starter ran.
I use the bike daily and excluding the petcock problem and the oil leak, I did not notice anything wrong with it before.
Andre

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 04/21/09 at 09:48:01

If it had been in gear it would have rolled off the stand & crashed. So, as bad & unhandy as this is, it coulda been worse.Not that that will help fix it, just a little something to maybe help you smile.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #17 - 04/21/09 at 09:54:08

Tropical Savage wrote on 04/21/09 at 09:41:16:
youzguyz wrote on 04/21/09 at 09:08:18:
You asked if it jammed by itself.  I doubt it.  When did it start this behavior?  Did you just try to start it? and the starter would not stop spinning?  I have a hard time believing you were just standing there and it started spinning on it's own!

That's why I started the thread as "Should I call TAPS?". Sounds unbelievable but there was not anybody close to the bike when the starter ran.
I use the bike daily and excluding the petcock problem and the oil leak, I did not notice anything wrong with it before.
Andre

Wow.. that is weird!!  (I don't know what TAPS is, besides what they play on a bugle in the military.  I don't get out much, except to ride).
Your solenoid might still be good.  Test it like I said before.  If it shows open, then it can be put back in service.  Then it becomes a question of what made the control circuit activate the solenoid.  That gets a lot more complicated.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 04/21/09 at 10:03:26

I'd have to be able to disable the control circuit while I looked for the problem, unless you can find the problem before you have to put the solenoid back in. If you cant find the problem, you can keep the solenoid control circuit open except when its time to start it up.

Have you checked to see is the control circuit is "On"? Danged intermittent problems are the worst. I had one I never solved. Thats why I have the backup start switch. It just finally quite shutting off & refusing to start back up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/21/09 at 10:19:07

youzguyz wrote on 04/21/09 at 09:54:08:
Wow.. that is weird!!  (I don't know what TAPS is, besides what they play on a bugle in the military.  I don't get out much, except to ride).
Your solenoid might still be good.  Test it like I said before.  If it shows open, then it can be put back in service.  Then it becomes a question of what made the control circuit activate the solenoid.  That gets a lot more complicated.

I think TAPS stands for The Atlantic Paranormal Society and it's a TV serial also named as Ghost Hunters on scifi channel.
Andre

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 04/21/09 at 10:43:41

Maybe calling a priest isnt such a bad idea? If the handlebars spin 360* & the headlight shoots pea soup, you have a real problem.

IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/21/09 at 10:56:57

I spent the morning going back and forth between my computer and the garage to check the experts advices and dismount the bike. I took off all the connectors below the tank and the seat and noticed almost all are oxidized (green crust). As today is holiday and shops are closed I could not buy any spray to clean them so I did my best scratching with a small needle.
Wired back all the connectors and "BINGO" nothing happened. I tried to start the bike but it did not because the battery was too weak. No problem, the starter I was worrying about seemed to be rotating normaly when I pushed the red button. Put everything back in place.
I decided it was time to shower and lunch and I'll start the bike by human force during the afternoon. Had a wonderfull lunch and went to take a little rest. Did not last 10mn I woke up with my wife's screams.
Back to stage 0  Sad

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #22 - 04/21/09 at 11:07:23

When you button it back up, make sure there is nothing metal protruding that would arc over your solenoid connections.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/21/09 at 11:16:08

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 04/21/09 at 11:07:23:
When you button it back up, make sure there is nothing metal protruding that would arc over your solenoid connections.  

Visualy I could not find anything. What's weird for me is that nothing happened during around 2 hours and from nowhere the problem went back. Could not it be some kind of capacitor that needs a while to get charged?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #24 - 04/21/09 at 11:17:26

I personally do not know, I don't know much about the electrical components of this bike.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/21/09 at 11:21:30

The question now is do I need the solenoid to ride? When I take off a 3 wires connector ( thick black, thin black/white and thin yellow/white wires) the starter do not go on. So if I start the bike by pushing I could drive to a mechanic. I can not try now because we are under heavy rain.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 04/21/09 at 11:33:25

All you need to do is pull the ground off the solenoid. You could switch it. Unless its grounded thru the frame, then switch or pull the hot wire.
If you dont have a test light & an ohm meter, now is a good time. Hook up where the wire should go to the solenoid & mess with things till it shows it has power, then look for how its getting there. If you pay someone to find this, it could cost hundreds & hundreds of dollars. All they have to do is say it took 15 hours, instead of the 1 or 2 it really took.

IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 04/21/09 at 12:21:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/21/09 at 11:33:25:
All you need to do is pull the ground off the solenoid. You could switch it. Unless its grounded thru the frame, then switch or pull the hot wire.
If you dont have a test light & an ohm meter, now is a good time. Hook up where the wire should go to the solenoid & mess with things till it shows it has power, then look for how its getting there. If you pay someone to find this, it could cost hundreds & hundreds of dollars. All they have to do is say it took 15 hours, instead of the 1 or 2 it really took.

I'll try to do that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:31:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Should I call TAPS?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.